The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Mounts available for purchase at the stable

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at the different types of mounts in the stable, and I noticed something peculiar.

For the 42k horses, there are three types: speed, stamina, and strength.

Do these specific mounts come with bonuses?

If not, then why are they so expensive? It doesn't make sense if they're no different than the 10k horse that's available.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They used to have bonuses, but not anymore. All mounts are purely cosmetic now. I don't know why ZOS left the higher price.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    They used to have bonuses, but not anymore. All mounts are purely cosmetic now. I don't know why ZOS left the higher price.

My guess would be a) to not anger the PC/Mac players who had purchased one of each type at the 42K price (probably a fairly large portion of the player base had done so by the time horse leveling changed) or b) it was simply an oversight (though the 10K horse use to be 17K so they at least when in and changed that, so I'm more inclined to believe that it was Theory A)

Edited by Allyhoo811 on September 7, 2015 8:51PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they added the Crown store with mounts, they reduced the price of the basic mount to 10K gold so that it would be more easily attainable, in order to avoid the appearance of the Crown store mounts being pay to win items.

At the same time they made all mounts have the exact same stats for the same reasons (if any Crown store mounts had any better stats than what you could buy for gold they would be considered pay to win, while if any of the ones you could buy for gold had better stats it would hurt Crown store sales).

They didn't reduce the price on the mounts that used to give you bonus stats, though. Why? Because the only reason people would buy them now is for aesthetic reasons (ie. because they like the way they look), and if you like them enough to buy them, you'll probably do it at the higher price just as readily as you would at the lower price. The game doesn't have a lot of gold sinks, so keeping this gold sink in the game (even if it will only apply to a relatively small segment of the player base) makes sense.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Because the only reason people would buy them now is for aesthetic reasons (ie. because they like the way they look), and if you like them enough to buy them, you'll probably do it at the higher price just as readily as you would at the lower price.
    I hope people weren't reading my post as a rant.

Never paid attention to the mounts before a few days ago, and it's funny regarding the gold sink, because that's why I looked. I figured I'd buy one since I have a bucket full of gold with nothing to buy. I was going to start a "stable mount collection", and that's when I noticed the descriptions.

Too bad about the lost bonuses, though. I'd gladly buy that horse built for speed. ;)

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Because the only reason people would buy them now is for aesthetic reasons (ie. because they like the way they look), and if you like them enough to buy them, you'll probably do it at the higher price just as readily as you would at the lower price.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't read it as a rant; just a question about something that was obviously puzzling you (and that has puzzled many other people - I've seen lots of people ask the same thing).
    Never paid attention to the mounts before a few days ago, and it's funny regarding the gold sink, because that's why I looked. I figured I'd buy one since I have a bucket full of gold with nothing to buy. I was going to start a "stable mount collection", and that's when I noticed the descriptions.

Too bad about the lost bonuses, though. I'd gladly buy that horse built for speed. ;)
    Well, don't feel too bad about the lost bonuses. When the horses had individual bonuses, the maximum level of a horse (ie. the upgrades you could give it) was 50. The horses with bonuses started at +10 to one stat, so by upgrading that stat 50 times you could get them to a total of +60 in that stat above what a base horse would have. They would then have no upgrades in the other stats, though (actually that's not quite true - at some point an upgrade would give the horse +1 in all 3 stats instead of just in one).

Now with any mount you can get up to +60 in all stats. So although it starts 10 steps behind where an old "special" horse started, any old mount now can get 3 times better than a "special" horse could under the old system.

Oh, and for the record, I've got each mount available from the stables. I bought the former speed one and the former capacity one under the old system, and I bought the former stamina one (and the base 10K one) under the new system just because I felt like getting one of each of the ones you can buy with gold. I've got a bunch of the crown store mounts too, but I haven't felt the desire to get all of them.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

I also didn't read your original post as a rant...It's definitely a legitimate question :)
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to bring back this old thread.

Is there a way PLEASE for Zenimax to lower the prices for these mounts currently in the stable, and, can Zenimax Please add all mounts or more mounts for sale at the stables? I mean it's ok we have crowns store. BUT they (They being ZoS) said it themselves, crown store is ONLY a convenient way to get items. So if Crowns store is convenient, then why not just add them to the stables so we can purchase the mounts with in game gold.

Why make it so hard being greedy selling for real money? I'm sure every 15 year old in the Country (World zone) has tons of money to spend instead of paying rent, buying food, getting clothes, paying bills, blah blah.

I'm sorry if this looks like I'm stingy or a penny pincher, and that's ok. You don't know me or the fact I already spent thousands of real money dollars on this game and like a moron continue to do so because I have no good life and want to throw money I don't have at complete nameless faceless strangers so they can pay their rent, buy food, pay for their dates, gas in their cars so that they can have a life best suited to make someone like me docile with pretty sench tiger mounts.

(LoL)
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38