Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

iMac 27" crashing a lot...

KatenKyokotsu
Hello

After IC patch launched I've been experiencing MORE crashes than pre-patch.

Pre-patch the only crashes occurring were during Cyrodiil combat (every half an hour averagely).

Now, after patch, I get real world crashes too, and quite often, even though patch notes state that it should have been fixed!!

I updated all add ons, repaired the game files too, for that is what the support team's first response is...

mem.current = 2418
mem.peak = 2418
mem.physical = 32768

Got this after crash, so RAM doesn't seem to be bad, as I read the other post as well, for 5K iMacs

My iMac:
3,4GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Anyone has any idea what could cause the crashing to occur? And better, how to solve them?

Many thanks
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @KatenKyokotsu iMac 27" (late model 2013) user here.

I'm also experiencing awful crash issues in IC sewers and especially in the White-gold Tower dungeon. Crashes are definitely related to high particle density effects i.e., heavy lightning abilities at same time.

I had to give up on my WGT last boss Molag Kena uses a lot of lightning effects and I kept DC'ing at exact same time as another member of my team ( also Mac user) so there is a direct problem there!

We used to see this a lot right after initial launch in Cyrodil when a lot of zerg healing and lightning effects occurred at same time, many Mac users would crash at same time. this is a known ongoing problem for Mac users in ESO. Needs to be addressed!

My info:

3.5 Ghz Intel core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4G

Help!! :)
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • KatenKyokotsu
    Mine just crashes randomly, not only in combat, last crash occurred while trying to open the frame for PvP.

Or when I walk around, it happens too... Just out of nowhere game shuts down with a crash report.

It's definitely game breaking for me, I don't like restarting every 15-30mins just because of crashes, it's truly annoying.
  • irregularnerd
    irregularnerd
    Soul Shriven
    Hi,
    same here. And I am not even in IC.
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz 16GB RAM GTX775M

crashes appear while accessing the crafting table, leaving the crafting table, entering the bank(this happened from time to time before), opening dialogue with NPCs.
  • KatenKyokotsu
    Yeah, mine too, all random stuff, just crashed while trying to exit Rawl'kha bank... It's not just about lightning effects I think..

Can't figure out what it is though, and it remains annoying... Paying a sub for a broken game feels quite a rip-off... And it's not like the crashes are from yesterday, they've been ongoing for quite a while now...

But, patch was supposed to fix it all..?
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am now, today, also experiencing horrible lag and crashing all over in Reaper's and while crafting in the AD lower zones as well. My friends, in guild, are from all over the world and who are mainly using PC at same time are not experiencing what I am seeing on my iMac. However, several other friends who use Macs are reporting same identical issues that we here are. It's definitely Mac-related.

I remember there was a problem with memory leak issue on macs that got fixed in the spring 2015. It worked great. I think all the new content may have similar Mac memory leaking again, but, I'm not a technical person. I did submit a ticket a few hours ago so hope to get a definitive answer from ZOS. :)

― Louise L. Hay
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I just got an initial reply from ZOS Support on my ticket. they requested my System Profiler file to review. Hopefully we can get a good resolution to our woes! I'll keep you all posted here if I get a fix. :)
    Edited by keto3000 on September 6, 2015 6:41PM

― Louise L. Hay
  • irregularnerd
    irregularnerd
    Soul Shriven
    I turned details to medium and resolution to something with 1900*1200... maybe a little better
    mem.current = 2360
    mem.peak = 2397
    mem.physical = 16384
  • drumbendrum_ESO
    drumbendrum_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that I have also had similar issues with the game crashing on my iMac. Mainly its in Cyrodiil where I have the majority of the crashes. The Imperial City is working pretty well to be honest. PvE zones are crashing more frequently but Cyrodiil is just so frequent I can almost predict it now.

I have tried adjusting Video - Addons - Run(Repair). Nothing seems to be helping the situation.

Hope they can fix it I will be off the game for the next month for work but I will hopefully come back to a game that is more playable specially for Cyrodiil.

Thanks!
    Fong
  • christopherhall
    christopherhall
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same crashing issue on a modern 27" iMac, 10.10.5, Disk Utility flags as clean, without addons and having deleted ShaderCache.cooked.

Previously, I enjoyed ultra settings maxed out, but now, even medium settings leave me crashing; only the low settings (read that as "unbearably poor quality low settings) allow me to play the game.

There's more going on, memleak-wise, here. I know we're not getting a 64-bit client anytime soon, but can we please focus on this as a key Mac issue?

Going from ultra to poor is severe, especially when one of the primary reasons for playing ESOTU is how gorgeous it renders!

Help, Zenimax Mac graphics team!

P.S. I'm a decades-experienced Mac expert/project manager/QA consultant: I'm happy to help if I can. Ask!
    ===
    P.P.S. Update: I removed all savedvariables, game settings and cachee; IOW, I did all but a clean install.
    I can now run on medium settings (even with add ons), but I have horsepower for Ultra, so... the issue still stands.

Quite a bit better than low graphics making me think I was seeing thru decades-older eyes!
    Edited by christopherhall on September 9, 2015 4:21AM
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, check out this older forum thread on this very same topic:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/153470/constantly-crashing-since-day-1

― Louise L. Hay
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hey folks! When you send in your system profiler, can you please also take a screenshot of your system information for us as well? It helps our agents locate information much quicker!

Thanks again
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MollyH

Thank you Molly for checking in and responding on this thread. I have been corresponding with your Support team ( all of whom are excellent and very timely, by the way!)

Can you be more specific as to what you are asking for--

Do you want a screenshot of the entire 'Problem report' that pops up when my game crashes (see attached)?

This is a scr shot of just the header. the actual report is pages long.

― Louise L. Hay
  • ZOS_MollyH
    To provide our agents with vital information about your system, please submit a screenshot of your system overview along with a copy of your system information report. To collect these, please use the following steps:

Step 1: Click the apple icon in the top left of the screen, and choose “About this Mac”

Step 2: Take a screenshot of the Overview page that comes up.
    To Take a screenshot of a window –
    • Press Command (⌘)-Shift-4. You'll see that your cursor changes to a camera pointer.
    • Press the Space bar.
    • Move the camera pointer over the window to highlight it.
    • Click your mouse or trackpad. Or to cancel, press Escape (esc) before you click.
    • Find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.

Step 3: To generate a System Profiler report, follow the instructions below:

• Open a new Finder window.
    • Go to Applications, then Utilities and Terminal.
    • Type the following:
    • system_profiler>~/Desktop/Report.txt.
    • Wait for the next line to appear in Terminal (This shows the file is finished).
    • Locate the Report.txt on your Desktop .

Please attach the screenshot and Report.txt to your reply.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • KatenKyokotsu
    Hello MollyH

Here's the info you requested

Hope it helps.

[edited to remove personal information]
    Edited by ZOS_MollyH on September 10, 2015 8:57PM
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    We will continue to experience regular crashes and poorer textures on OS X until they release a 64 bit client. The current version is 32 bit which doesn't take advantage of the high physical memory (RAM) we have available in modern Macs, so every time it peaks over 2.5GB of RAM the game crashes. It can be really frustrating.
  • KatenKyokotsu
    Yeah it really is frustrating, bit of a shame though, as the game itself is quite good, just the crashes being a major letdown..
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it really is frustrating, bit of a shame though, as the game itself is quite good, just the crashes being a major letdown..

I agree the game is great and the best MMO currently available on the Mac in my opinion. We can only hope they release the 64 bit client in a near future as it would solve most problems we're all dealing with. I asked about it in another thread and some potential timeline but was ignored.
  • ManicDee
    ManicDee
    ✭✭
    Every time I crash, my next login will time out and dump me back at the login screen with some nonsense about "Unable to connect to game server. Please make sure you have a valid internet connection."
    Edited by ManicDee on September 13, 2015 8:47AM
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 27" owner of a very new iMac crashing repeatedly. On average, I crash to desk 4-7 times per day. Most crashes are caught by Zeni's crash reporter, but I am also getting a 1-2 crashes per day that are actual system crashes that bypasses their own crash reporter. I use Memory Clean and run ESO in a full screen window so I'm able to watch what's going on memory wise, and it really looks as if there's a memory leak in there somewhere. Not being a 64-bit client isn't helping either. I'm getting tired of dying because I crash to desk just as I begin attacking a mob(s). It's getting very old.

Your Mac owners deserve better than this.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    Another 27" owner of a very new iMac crashing repeatedly. On average, I crash to desk 4-7 times per day. Most crashes are caught by Zeni's crash reporter, but I am also getting a 1-2 crashes per day that are actual system crashes that bypasses their own crash reporter. I use Memory Clean and run ESO in a full screen window so I'm able to watch what's going on memory wise, and it really looks as if there's a memory leak in there somewhere. Not being a 64-bit client isn't helping either. I'm getting tired of dying because I crash to desk just as I begin attacking a mob(s). It's getting very old.

Your Mac owners deserve better than this.

Yes, I am definitely inclined to agree here! ZOS, in reply to my last trouble ticket, suggested that I do a PRAM reset. I did it several times and still doesn't change the fact that heavy light/lightning sceneS:

e.g. the final fight in WGT (normal) w/Molag Kena & multi player sewer battles in small spaces and the Centrata portals) invariably causes crash for me and any other Mac users that are in my group!

We saw this last year due to a memory leak specifically affecting macs and i fear this is a repetition of similar issues. Please address this ZOS. I have been a loyal ESO Plus member since beta and really enjoy the game and my friends here but this constant crashing really hampers my game.

― Louise L. Hay
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had the PRAM reset e-mail as well, which does the sum total of nothing towards resolving the crash issue.

I'm clearly running over the game RAM allowance (circa 2500) and the ES crash report shows in every case that I'm about that number when boom. I've just got into ESO in the last few weeks and I am not going to consider subbing and the DLC whilst I'm experiencing regular crashes (5+ a day on a 2 y/o iMac with 16GB Ram, and 4GB discrete graphics card).

PRAM reset feels like a delay/grasp at straws approach to be honest.
    Edited by LaucianNailor on September 19, 2015 7:24AM
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I just received some promising news from ZOS support team. The last boss, Molag Kena, in WGT has been identified as a particularly troubled spot for many Mac users. The high level of lightning in that fight has consistently caused many players, especially Macs users, to crash. ZOS team says they are aware of this and there will be a patch sometime next week to address this issue. I encourage everyone here to keep submitting in game bug reports and KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

I, personally, really enjoy ESO and want to see our game succeed. Cheers.

― Louise L. Hay
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I afraid that instead of fixing the memory leak plaguing the entire game for Mac users, they're just going to reduce the lightning in that one fight until the crashes drop...
  • rodney418
    rodney418
    I'm on a 2013 MacBook with nVidia GT750M and rarely crashed before the IC DLC patch. Since then I have been crashing very frequently, at all sorts of random times, and in all sorts of areas. Turning Textures down from High to Medium seems to make my machine considerably more stable, so I assume it's once more the "running out of memory" bug. What I don't understand is why it's only happening now, and wasn't before that patch.

Let's see if today's patch helps at all...
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    So, even after the patch on Monday, many of my Mac friends are reporting that they are still crashing, especially in areas/instances involving high volume of lightning and lighting/healing battles in small areas, especially notable in last fight of White Gold Tower with all the lightning effects and, in the sewers & topside IC during points of high battle activity.

IMO, these crashing events are highly reminiscent of early post beta problems and 2014 issues re memory leaks specifically affecting the Mac client.

ZOS is asking us Mac users to work with them and continue to file ingame bug reports each time you experience continued crashing so they can pinpoint what has worked and what hasn't in the last patch. This needs to be highest priorioty if ZOS is truly committed ( as I believe they are) to retain and grow its loyal Mac user base.

Teamwork, peeps....I'm committed to help resolve this for everyone's benefit.

@ZOS_MollyH

― Louise L. Hay
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    So, even after the patch on Monday, many of my Mac friends are reporting that they are still crashing, especially in areas/instances involving high volume of lightning and lighting/healing battles in small areas, especially notable in last fight of White Gold Tower with all the lightning effects and, in the sewers & topside IC during points of high battle activity.

IMO, these crashing events are highly reminiscent of early post beta problems and 2014 issues re memory leaks specifically affecting the Mac client.

ZOS is asking us Mac users to work with them and continue to file ingame bug reports each time you experience continued crashing so they can pinpoint what has worked and what hasn't in the last patch. This needs to be highest priorioty if ZOS is truly committed ( as I believe they are) to retain and grow its loyal Mac user base.

Teamwork, peeps....I'm committed to help resolve this for everyone's benefit.

@ZOS_MollyH

All these crashes and problems will be a thing of the past once they release the 64bit client for Mac. I believe it would be a best investment of resources and time to push that release out as soon as possible, even if only as a beta client, rather than continuing to fix this with workarounds that don't really solve the problem but only remove graphical detail from the game to prevent crashes through overflow of memory. Bottom line is that we do need a modern 64bit client as soon as manageable. The small addressable memory in the current client (32bits) just isn't enough...

With that said, I do hope to see their continuous support for the loyal Mac user base as you mentioned. This is one of the best games released for Mac and a fundamental one in my humble opinion.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    @Marques Has there been active discussion from ZOS regarding an upcoming 64 bit client for us? I completely agree with you that the proper way to solve this issue would be to fix the root of the problem!

I tried to run the WGT vet dungeon again (after ZOS Monday patch) and still I crashed again as soon as Molg Kena fight gets intense with lightning... my guilds are skeptical about running it again with me and I can't blame them. No one wants to put all the effort in to these tough dungeons with a Mac player who will consistently Crash on the last boss. lol

@ZOS_MollyH
    Edited by keto3000 on September 26, 2015 3:48AM

― Louise L. Hay
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    @Marques Has there been active discussion from ZOS regarding an upcoming 64 bit client for us? I completely agree with you that the proper way to solve this issue would be to fix the root of the problem!

No active discussion and no public timeline I'm afraid but there has been a mention of it being worked on by Chris Dillman, our lead Mac programmer:
    Hi Marques

We looked up most of your crash reports.
    Looks like you are mostly just running out of RAM.

The only thing you can do before a 64bit client is to try playing the game at a lower screen resolution.
    That should save a bunch of ram.

(...)

Sorry about this.
    It is a know issue.

64bit client and new OpenGL renderer are slowly being worked on.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to complete vet WGT a few times since the ZOS patch fix and still, insta-crashing on Molag Kena fight. The lag in IC pvp and in the sewers seems a lot better, but, the continued and long standing problem of Mac crashes during instances of high lightining activity i.e., Molag Kena are still NOT resolved! I've submitted yet another support ticket on this....

I can't enjoy the new content or try to get the proper endgame gear simply because I play on a Mac. We need a competent fix please!

ATT: @ZOS_MollyH

― Louise L. Hay
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭

― Louise L. Hay