Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Needing help with my DPS/Healer Templar build.

Uriel_Nocturne
Uriel_Nocturne
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
As the title alludes to, I have a Magicka-heavy Templar.

He's mainly DPS, but I have Restoration Staff in his secondary weapon slot, but the build just doesn't seem to be effective. He runs with Medium armor (Mastered) for the Critical Strike bonuses and for mobility, but after crawling all over the Skills I have for him, he still seems to be doing less damage than he should.

He runs with Dual Wielded Swords (Dual Wielding is almost Mastered), and in his Primary skill bar, he runs mostly Aedric Spear abilities.
His Secondary weapon skill bar is loaded with the Templar healing Skills and Resto staff skills.

I generally switch to Healing when the wife and I are grouping with people to run the Group Dungeons, and for when we enter the Public Dungeons. For Delves and regular Questing, I use his Primary Weapon skill bar for DPS.

I need help from those with much more experience than myself with the Templar class (I mainly run Nightblades, so...).

What would your ideal Skill loadout be for a Primary DPS Templar, Secondary bar Healer Templar?

Thank you for your time.
Edited by Uriel_Nocturne on September 3, 2015 2:25PM

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Adzer2
    Adzer2
    ✭✭✭
    Your character build sounds exactly like mine, same abilities/weapon choice and all, I found levelling and battles in general were easy enoug

Until, i reached level 25,+ now its become very slow progress and I'm struggling to beat enemies of similar levels
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Characters:
    Adzer - Breton Templar
    Thorgon Stormcaller - Nord Dragonknight
    Elrond Smeagol - High Elf Sorceror
    Akorithi Sendu - Redguard Nightblade
    Miraak Icelight - Nord Warden
    Father Dori - Breton Templar
    Argo - Argonian Dragonknight
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

I find that I'm all of a sudden having trouble killing enemies that are same level as myself.

So I was looking for someone who might run more Templars what their Skill loadout is for the Primary bar (DPS), and the Secondary Skill bar (Healer).

I just need to know what more experienced people are running with, then I can compare it to what I have and see if there isn't a more effective set of combinations that I could/should be running with.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• Ratbert
    Ratbert
    ✭✭
    I can tell you what I run. Let it be known I'm PVE 100% of the time. So this isn't a PVP build and wouldn't read beyond this sentence if that is what you are looking for.

This may not be the end all be all but it works for my group and works well. I have no mana issues and I can solo trash dungeon mobs on vet and any open world mobs without problems.

I'm all magika for the most part. I think I have about 10 points into health to help survive big boss hits. My primary bar is healing.

Bar 1 - Healing
    Grand Healing morphed to Healing Springs
    Regeneration morphed to Rapid Regeneration
    Restoring Aura morphed to Repentance
    Rushed Ceremony morphed to Breath of Life
    Magelight morpehed to Raidant Magelight (This one gets swapped out from time to time - Mage Guild)
    Ultimate: Rite of Passage morphed to Practiced Incantation

Bar 2 - DPS mixed
    Radiant Destruction morphed to Radiant Oppression (finisher or ranged DPS if I can't get near boss)
    Magelight morpehed to Raidant Magelight (so I don't have to recast as I weapon swap constantly)
    Weakness to Elements morphed to Elemental Drain (for the two sorcs I normally run with - Destruction Staff)
    Cleansing Ritual morphed to Purifying Ritual
    Puncturing Strikes morphed to Puncturing Sweep (for self healing)
    Ultimate: Nova morphed to Solar Disturbance

Gear (all light armor except engine guardian helm which is medium)
    Engine Guardian Helm/Shoulders
    4/5 Of the Healer
    5/5 Seducer
    Healing staff for Bar 1 and Destro staff for bar 2
    Health enchants on "big gear" with bonus to enchant
    Magika enchants on smaller gear with mundus stone bonus
    Mundus stone is magic regen

My goal was to get mana regen pretty high and add in some health for heavy hitting boss mobs. I use purple food to boost all 3 stats and with my repentance on I think my mana regen sits at around 2000. Magic is at about 25k health about 19.5k and sta maybe 10k if that. I have all passives in my 3 templar trees for sure. My crit sits at about 60% with magelight running.

With bar 2 I can use puncturing sweeps on a lot of stuff pretty effectively without having to cast my own heals most of the time. Bigger mobs force me to swap and heal at times. And Radiant Oppression is just silly. My focus wasn't on maximizing my DPS but trying to be good at healing first and provide additional DPS when I can. I haven't had much problems killing anything solo in open world and zero problems healing in dungeons with that mana regen. I am a bit soft though at 19k health and low physical resistance.

Again this isn't what I would consider THE build for templars. It just works for me. Some of the stuff up there I been wanting to swap out on bar two like magelight or elements and go more into DPS skills but haven't tried yet. I'm rarely having to rely on my Rite of Passage healing skill. I use it in some situations as a rule but mostly my mana regen and passives cover me for using Breath of Life, Healing Springs, and Rapid Regeneration while always having Purifying Ritual down. If I ever start to get low on mana I'll throw in a few heavy attacks and be good again. I seem to only NEED pots after I should happen to die and get rezzed. I'll pop a pot to get my magic back faster and go right back into healing/dps.

I'll certainly be interested in what other templars have to say as well.

EDIT: If you are solo'ing a lot I might swap nova out for Radial Sweep morphed to Empowering Sweep. I loved it's low cost ultimate cast time when I used to solo a lot and great on packs of mobs. I used Nova to drop on trash mobs in dungeons or boss mobs for the tank to activate since I don't normally get up close to the bigger dungeon bosses. Plus nova doesn't take too long to fill as a healer.
    Edited by Ratbert on September 3, 2015 3:42PM
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well thank you very much for the help.

I probably should have mentioned it in my OP, but I don't really PvP either. The Wife and I run 95% PvE, with the only PvP being when we feel brave and go Questing/Skyshard Hunting in Cyrodiil.

So mostly our build will be for PvE.

But this looks great, definitely gives me some to think about as far as how to work my Healing bar.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    If most of the skills you use are magicka based, you should probably think about switching out your medium armor for light. Light armor is designed for healers and magicka dps characters...IMO the boost to mobility/critical strike really isn't worth losing the bonuses light armor provides. I think you will find it improves your damage by a decent amount.

If you don't want to run full light, you could always try 5 light and 2 heavy to provide some extra survivability.

Destruction staves are also helpful for heavy magicka builds, because their damage actually scales of your max magicka unlike most other weapons.

Also, how are your attribute points distributed? If you have a lot of points invested in stamina, switching them to magicka should improve your damage/healing output.
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    If most of the skills you use are magicka based, you should probably think about switching out your medium armor for light. Light armor is designed for healers and magicka dps characters...IMO the boost to mobility/critical strike really isn't worth losing the bonuses light armor provides. I think you will find it improves your damage by a decent amount.

If you don't want to run full light, you could always try 5 light and 2 heavy to provide some extra survivability.

Destruction staves are also helpful for heavy magicka builds, because their damage actually scales of your max magicka unlike most other weapons.

Also, how are your attribute points distributed? If you have a lot of points invested in stamina, switching them to magicka should improve your damage/healing output.
    I might try Light armor. I've got plenty of cash for a Respec, and I'll get another free respec on the 15th, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. In fact, boosting my mobility may be beneficial, but I 'd have to change my whole style of play in that I run right up on the enemy right now and start punking it with various Spear abilities...

As far as my attributes, I've been distributing them on a 4/1/1 scale. For every four Magicka I out one into Health and Stamina.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• Ratbert
    Ratbert
    ✭✭
    I might try Light armor. I've got plenty of cash for a Respec, and I'll get another free respec on the 15th, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. In fact, boosting my mobility may be beneficial, but I 'd have to change my whole style of play in that I run right up on the enemy right now and start punking it with various Spear abilities...

As far as my attributes, I've been distributing them on a 4/1/1 scale. For every four Magicka I out one into Health and Stamina.

I don't think you have to stop doing that with a magic build to be honest. As stated above bring in some heavy gear in the slots that provide the biggest physical bonus (chest, legs, head i think? is there one more?) then move the light armor to a magic based set bonus with staff or jewelry for the 5 piece.

You can do what I did for enchants and put the health enchants on the big pieces of gear with traits that boost the enchant value to add a bit more health and the little gear gets all the magic based enchants. I personally like the magic regen mundus with my small gear adding 5 to 7% (depending on gear quality) to mundus. I think that may allow you to remain "in their face" and heal in dungeons still. I think that may be a good idea to fit what you want in your original post.

I was a stamina templar for the longest time and I struggled much like it I gather you might be. I did good for the most part but had issues with some open world named mobs or solo'ing delv bosses. Just last night I went into a delv in craglorn and solo'd a boss as a magic build easily where as before that same boss tore me up as a stamina build. I'm not saying stamina isn't viable it served me very well to vet 12. But I found the goings got MUCH better after I moved to a more magic build.
  • Ratbert
    Ratbert
    ✭✭
    Just noticed you were on ebonheart as well. Look me up if you want :) Gamertag Ratbertt I'll be happy to talk more in game or show in practice the things I do.
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll probably try out a mixture of Medium and Light, switch my Mundus Stone, and see what happens.

If nothing else, I can change it back if I cant get the hang of it after a couple of days.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    My built is 90% identical to Ratbert. And I was very happy with it. I started running with another group doing vdsa etc for the weekly leaderboard. With some help from the leaderboard regular, I changed my build to healer/dps 50/50 and my CP went to dps more than heal and it was really, really great! Until Imperial City came to town. My magica regen dissapeared by half. And everything went to sh*t.. So now, I am back to seducer/healer or magnus/healer 4/5.. for mana regen instead of martial/torug/androitness for spell dmg. Magnus because I am still trying to keep some spell dmg. On top of that my CP is now back to healer's CP.. bye dps...

My armour are all light.. thinking of popping on 2 heavy in the mix. Resto/destro staff. Mundus: Mage for max magica. I have not been able to fully test how well the builds are doing since I have been hit real hard with The Lag.. but since I was doing pretty decent with it previously.. I think it would probably be alright.
    Edited by EllieBlue on September 5, 2015 5:03PM
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up - it appears that the OP is on console so the IC patch has not hit yet. When it does, some (maybe a lot) of the info in this thread will likely be out of date. In general, with the new patch:
    .Players are squishier
    .All enemies are tougher and hit harder
    .Sustain is noticeably reduced, particularly on stamina