Maintenance for the week of June 18:
· Xbox One: North American and European megaservers for patch maintenance – June 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®4: North American and European megaservers for patch maintenance – June 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC)
We are aware that some Steam players are having issues logging into the North American and European PC/Mac megaservers. We are actively investigating and will let you know when we have an update. Thank you!

Which weapon would be good for dps?

Tylersoh
Tylersoh
✭✭✭
I'm using 2 handed at the moment but I've heard that duel wielding is he best for dps.


  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, two-handed beats dual wield in most regards, except AoE damage, mostly due to steel tornado...
    But 2H has a gap closer, and DW not. 2H has a nifty attack that also shields you, DW is a bit less flexible in this regard. 2H also has a nice finisher, DW lacks that. And the stamina based buff&heal from rally is also rather nice to have...
    DW does on the other hand have a nifty attack that can add a HoT, and the aforementioned steel tornado is perhaps the best stamina based AoE attack around. And there is a flying dagger too for ranged needs.

    Much depends on class - some classes can easily use their class skills to balance the weapon styles shortcomings (no gap closer in DW? Nightblades teleport strike, templars focused charge! Less then stellar AoE in 2H? Lots of class skills came make up for that...)

    In the end, both can work really well. Choose whatever you personalyl like better!
    "True understanding can be found only in the Shadow between Light and Dark..."
    Leskandera - Sneaky Dunmer Bounty Huntress
    Kelasendar - Sorcerous Dunmer Goth Librarian
    Kes dre-Lana - Amazonian Orsimer Craftsmistress
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All you need is Wrecking Blow and just mash your keys...
  • Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    All you need is Wrecking Blow and just mash your keys...

    Lol don't go that way with it use critical charge, another damager whatever your class has, then finish off with executioner it's much more reliable.


  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule I would say that 2H is the best for PvP and DW is better for PvE.

    2H offers 1 of the 2 stamina heals in the game, a gap closer and some powerful burst which are great in PvP but a little less in PvE.

    DW offers more raw damage, an extra set slot and really great AOE.

    It's all about preference though and I personally run DW on my main bar in both PvE and PvP just because I love running around with two weapons ^^
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • Rikal
    Rikal
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying they are necessarily "good" gap closers, but there are other ways to quickly get up close and personal with a baddie. DK has Fiery Grip, Sorc has Bolt Escape, and even Fighter's Guild has Silver Leash. Some are certainly better then others.
    Rikal on NA-PC (aka Rhaulikko)
  • RatedChaotic
    RatedChaotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just play your character how you want.
  • BeardLumber
    BeardLumber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagger and shield.

    /thread
    Heals Please
    PC Master Race
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help to know what class you are, and what you are going to use on your back bar as well. Along with if you are talking PVE or PVP.

    However generally DW is better for PVE and 2H is better for PVP.
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual Wield by far.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

    Achievement hunter:

    Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

    Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2hander supremacy B)
    Chill Bros Chat Lounge
    Darkest Requiem
  • abuniffpreub18_ESO
    abuniffpreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    BFG 3000
  • Vigarr
    Vigarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sithisvoid wrote: »
    Lol don't go that way with it use critical charge, another damager whatever your class has, then finish off with executioner it's much more reliable.
    I use critical charge, wrecking blow, heavy attack then if they're still standing I finish them off with a another wrecking blow...this works like a charm for normal mobs.

  • barbarian340
    barbarian340
    ✭✭✭
    why is DW steel tornado such a highly regarded dps skill? isn't the damage only good for 25% and below targets? isnt it really bad damage the other 75% of the time? im not trying to be a smart-butt...i really wanna know why
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is DW steel tornado such a highly regarded dps skill? isn't the damage only good for 25% and below targets? isnt it really bad damage the other 75% of the time? im not trying to be a smart-butt...i really wanna know why

    Because it's AOE. Even if it might be lower damage vs a single target once a player is hitting 3 or more targets it's more damage then a player can do with single target attacks in the same amount of time. Also the damage is increased on wounded targets up to 100%, as part of the skill. Wounded is 49% or less, the extra at low health (24% or less) is from a passive, and stacks with the extra 100% from skill it's self.
  • gilbegger
    gilbegger
    ✭✭✭
    If you mostly run solo and Pve...I would keep with 2 handed. (single target)

    But if you frequently group up in Dungeons I would go with DW. (aoe)

    I had success with my DW NB...but at around lvl 30 I switched to 2 handed because it seemed I was spending too much time whittleing down bosses. I switched to 2 handed...and wow...it made a huge difference.

    I hear 2 handed is better for pvp...but I havent pvped much since switching to 2 handed. Im v7 now. But we shall see soon.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    why is DW steel tornado such a highly regarded dps skill? isn't the damage only good for 25% and below targets? isnt it really bad damage the other 75% of the time? im not trying to be a smart-butt...i really wanna know why
    For PVE It has an ungodly AOE range that puts everything to shame which gives you the best positioning opportunities as a DPS in AOE situations. Being able to stay out of the range of mobs is a very good defense.It can be spammed almost endlessly on some builds.It does good enough damage and since it is usually paired with caltrops gives the best sustained AOE in the game. It is an AOE execute and you will probably have a lot of weapon crit. It is not the best option but it can even be a viable option for a replacement for class based single target executes.

    In pvp it is one of those basic ingredients that make the zerg THE ZERG.Really how can' anybody not see how freaking crazy is this skill for big steamrolling groups?
    Edited by PBpsy on August 30, 2015 10:39PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    This is a PvE point of view
    It depends on your class whether DW or 2H will be better for you.
    DW gives you the best weapon damage, since you equip two weapons, therefore you can maximize your stats, however it doesn't provide you a very good spammable single target skill. You can go with rapid strikes or flying blade, whichever you prefer. DW also comes with a decent DoT (rendering slash). However, if you are for example a nightblade, you can use surprise attack as single target skill, and templar can use biting jabs, and if you do that it's very obvious that the best option for you is DW for more weapon damage.
    If you don't have a spammable class single target skill, then you can try wrecking blow from 2h, which is a nice skill, but has also a cast time which can be frustrating. With 2h's rally skill you can also heal yourself and at the same time apply the major brutality buff, which increases your damage by 20%, however with a healer and weapon power potions both of these are unnecessary with dual wielding.
    In terms of AoE steel tornado is the best skill in the game. It has a very high damage, very wide radius and counts as an execute skill from 25%. This is the reason why any stamina based build must have DW for AoE encounters. 1.7 might change this from what I heard, but in 1.6 steel tornado FTW.
    Edited by Aldruin on August 30, 2015 10:51PM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use a broom,sweep the leg
    Raising floors and lower ceilings by zos standards has created an iron maiden.
    No matter how well you played,when the game is over,the king and pawn go back in the same box.
    Be careful what you ask for from zo$, you always get punished.
    Call me toxic,your the one being slowly poisoned by greed.
  • Zachy_B
    Zachy_B
    ✭✭✭
    2h/bow
  • mfrd36nrb18_ESO
    Dual Wield, sharpened mace and sharpened sword, NUFF SAID!!!
  • Tylersoh
    Tylersoh
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried 1h and shield, so far I'm doing good. I'll be trying 2h, bow, and duel wield very soon.


  • Tylersoh
    Tylersoh
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to say duel wield.


  • Tiebearion
    Tiebearion
    ✭✭
    Tylersoh wrote: »
    Meant to say duel wield.

    You mean you meant to say Dual Wield
    Glory to the Pact!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tylersoh wrote: »
    I'm using 2 handed at the moment but I've heard that duel wielding is he best for dps.

    After today's update, you can really use just about any weapon, as long as it's a wooden stick with flames coming out of it ...
    dry.gif
    The Sidekick Order:
    The Naked Nords | The Cannon Fodder of Tamriel | The Mercenaries without Skills | The League of formidable Crafters
    The Psijic Order - 0.016% | Elder Moot | Lone Wolf Help | Great House Hlaalu
  • bowmanz607
    bowmanz607
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h has a nice burst heal and a solid execute cause it scales early.

    DW does more damage, allows an extra set pc, and the best stam aoe.

    pick your poison.
    2h will be better for sustained fights in pvp
    DW will be better in pve or gank build. However, I use DW and rely on my skills as a player through LOS, dark cloak, dodge roll and CC to mitigate my damage. not to mention blur. It is very hard to 1vx player with DW as compared to 2H. not impossible just a whole lot harder.
Sign In or Register to comment.