Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

XP loss after Imperial City Download

nagarjunna
nagarjunna
✭✭✭✭
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to them... I have a number of toons and this has affected two toons, my V13 Dragon Knight and my V14 Templar. I will restrict my observations to my DK, as I have screenshots which will help to illustrate the issue. The same issue affects my templar...

Observed Behaviour

Pre download, my DK had some 991k XP in progressing to V14 as per the screenshot below, note the red box highlighting my XP progress.

xqkh05.png

Post download, my DK now has 849,999 XP and I seem to have lost some 140K XP. In the screenshot below I have removed all add-ons prior to logging in to see if one of them was causing an issue.

2gt6cmb.png

Expected Behaviour

I would have expected that my accumulated XP would have been applied to the new levelling XP progression paradigm. My DK should have gone to V14 with any surplus XP being applied and carried over into the new level. This would be strictly in line with the observed behaviour on the PTS.

I am now extremely wary of doing anything with these toons, as I don't want to make bad worse...

Fortunately it does not seem to have affected my V14 Sorceror, who did not have enough XP to get to V15 any way (she has some 660K XP). I have of course registered a /bug however has anyone else had this happen to them?

@nagarjunna- PC / NA / AD / DC
Zazarakel - Max CP Magicka Templar
Tartys - Max CP Stamina Nightblade
Temelechus - Max CP Magicka Sorcerer
Assaku - Max CP Stamina DragonKnight
Truthforge - Sub 50 Stamina Templar
Yang Wudi Sub 50 Stamina Sorceror [DC]
Shou Chung Sub 50 Magicka DragonKnight
Chen Tuan Sun 50 Magicka Nightblade
  • Dreddnawt
    Dreddnawt
    ✭✭✭
    I too have been screwed by the xp conversion. My VR14 is now..... VR14. At first glance that may seem to be correct, but lets do the math:

OLD SYSTEM:
    Requires 1,000,000 XP per Rank (from VR1 through VR14 is 13 Ranks)
    Upon reaching VR14 the XP bar is filled and we no longer increase normal XP
    Bottom Line - A player must earn 13,000,000 XP to go from VR1 to VR14 under the old system

NEW SYSTEM:
    Requires 850,000 XP per Rank(from VR1 through VR16 is 15 Ranks)
    Upon reaching VR16 the XP bar is filled and we no longer increase normal XP
    Bottom Line - A player must earn 12.750,000 XP to go from VR1 to VR16 under the new system

ACTUAL CONVERSION:
    With the release of IC DLC my maxed out VR14 characters are now VR14 with 849,999 XP
    My characters have EARNED 13 Million XP towards Veteran Ranks
    My characters NOW have been REDUCED to 11,899,999 XP towards Veteran Ranks
    Each Veteran Rank 14 Character in the game has been penalized 1,100,001 XP!!!!
    Dreddnawt - Orsimer Aedric Crusader
    Alexstrasza Drogon - Imperial Infernal Dragon
    Daggerfall Covenant

TESO / PC / NA Server
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not cool.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So from this it appears that if you would have enough accumulated XP to reach the next vet rank under the reduced XP requirements per rank, they reduced your accumulated XP to 1 point less than what is needed to reach that rank. So nobody goes down in level, but also nobody automatically goes up in level just by logging on.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • nagarjunna
    nagarjunna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least I'm not alone... :'(
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, thinking about it, while this isn't what happened on PTS when the patch was applied (people at VR14 + 1000,000 went up to VR15), it is what ZOS said would happen. They did say that nobody would go up in level as a result of the changes to the amount of XP needed per vet rank. So as long as people with less than 849,999 XP accumulated don't lose any XP, it's exactly as expected.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • nagarjunna
    nagarjunna
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Actually, thinking about it, while this isn't what happened on PTS when the patch was applied (people at VR14 + 1000,000 went up to VR15), it is what ZOS said would happen. They did say that nobody would go up in level as a result of the changes to the amount of XP needed per vet rank. So as long as people with less than 849,999 XP accumulated don't lose any XP, it's exactly as expected.

Um, would you be able to link that? I did not know that...
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    We didn’t retroactively add up all the XP earned and award levels based on that – that would require the servers be down for several days while we crunch the character database. Instead we look at your current XP in your current level. If the current XP is higher than the current level we clip the XP to be 1 point below. If your current XP doesn’t put you over the new cap we leave it alone. (As a side note, this automatically results in an increase in the progression to the next level.)

For example:
    • VR2 now requires 850000 xp to reach (we reduced it 15% in this update). If you have more than 850000 points in VR1, it drops you back to 849999 points.
    • VR2 used to require 1000000 xp to reach. If you had 354000 points on VR1 you would have been ~35% through the level. As we aren’t changing your XP if you aren’t at the new cap, that same 354000 xp would now be ~42% of the way through the level.
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • nagarjunna
    nagarjunna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright - thank you for the quick response. Not what I would have liked, but life's like that!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreddnawt wrote: »

I want my LOL button back!
    sad.gif
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvm
    Edited by Rosveen on August 31, 2015 9:50PM
  • HungryHobo
    HungryHobo
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

sad.gif

numbermonk.com/binary/49

Its a Clue!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

sad.gif

Me too.

You were at cap. When you log in you are still at cap. Your progress has not changed at all.

Nice try though.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol@all these people crying about losing a tiny bit of exp when we're all getting boosted exp from vet stuff.

suck it up boys and girls.
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why they did not just leave up to VR14 alone and make 15 & 16 cost more XP. Why do all this complicated adjustment and rile people up? Can the program not count higher than 13M?
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nagarjunna wrote: »

Um, would you be able to link that? I did not know that...
    I saw it somewhere in the PTS forums, but now that @ZOS_RichLambert has chimed in (fairly speedy reply there Rich), I think that's pretty moot, and not only am I not going to bother to try to find the link, you almost certainly no longer care about getting a link :)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • nagarjunna
    nagarjunna
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw it somewhere in the PTS forums, but now that @ZOS_RichLambert has chimed in (fairly speedy reply there Rich), I think that's pretty moot, and not only am I not going to bother to try to find the link, you almost certainly no longer care about getting a link :)

Quite agree, having established it's not a bug, I don't really care! I've got on and killed something to get to V15 and am now happily playing!

I really did appreciate the ZOS quick response too.
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭
    Im not happy about it too. I'm v8 sorc. Have finished all main vet qusts (silver and gold) So im worried if its possible to reach v16 for me. ( If I do also all side quests). Dont like system at all :/
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We didn’t retroactively add up all the XP earned and award levels based on that – that would require the servers be down for several days while we crunch the character database. Instead we look at your current XP in your current level. If the current XP is higher than the current level we clip the XP to be 1 point below. If your current XP doesn’t put you over the new cap we leave it alone. (As a side note, this automatically results in an increase in the progression to the next level.)

For example:
    • VR2 now requires 850000 xp to reach (we reduced it 15% in this update). If you have more than 850000 points in VR1, it drops you back to 849999 points.
    • VR2 used to require 1000000 xp to reach. If you had 354000 points on VR1 you would have been ~35% through the level. As we aren’t changing your XP if you aren’t at the new cap, that same 354000 xp would now be ~42% of the way through the level.

Eeewww I have to say It would've been better to know this in detail 30-90 days ago

In the example you're basically taking away people's actual exp earned. The logic of adjusting per level hurts a player because if I had 900k exp then I should raise a level and also have 50k exp into the next VR level

In another example if I were VR 14 and had earned enough exp to become VR 16 then why would you stop someone at VR15?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on August 31, 2015 11:40PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the more worrisome aspect is that overall XP is not directly tied to the leveling matrix or whatever they call it.

So instead of having, say, 13 million XP on your character and applying it to an active matrix, they're applying the matrix and then selecting the part of your XP that agrees with the matrix rules.

To pull out a weird example...

It's like Toys For Tots reducing the size of their donation boxes by 15% and then saying that anything donated over 100% will be thrown out. Instead of the logical choice to place all new donations over 100% into a new box even though the boxes are 15% smaller.

There has to be a way to make any accumulated experience, inspiration, skills, etc. into hard numbers. The earned number should always be set in stone, even if it's invisible. The database should already do that. Then all the game has to do every update is figure out if you need a new box or not.
    signing off
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you see something in a store today for 15$ which you bought six months ago for 20$, you you storm into the store and accuse them of stealing your money?
    If you do feel so inclined, well, remember - no ESO at the funny farm! ;)

Veteran ranks got cheaper, but only to balance the loss of "XP gain buff from cyrodil campaigns" - so now everyone is at the same footing when it comes to gain V-ranks, with the same effective XP needed as those sitting on a buff server had before.

AND they allso increased XP gains for veteran content.

All in all, you gain something compared to before...

Now that "over new limit" XP get lost in transaction... is annoying, but no big deal. At most this is what, 150K expees? That's one hour cavedvelving in cyrodil... and of course the suspiscious among us may have anticipated something like that, and made extra sure their characters weren't neat the new level price...

Now all you young whippersnappers be quiet, in the good old days we had to quest uphill both ways to earn our 1.400.000 expees to gain a veteran rank. In the freezing snow of skyrim, in burning heat of the Alik'ir, through the boot-devouring muds of shadowfen, and the pollen-laden Valenwood... be happy you have it this good, now gerroff mah lawn! :tongue:;)
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spoke to a few people in guild chat, and it was clear right there and then that what had happened was that characters that had earned more than 1 VR level of xp were put at 1xp short of VR15.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything better than that, has retrospective XP ever been logged and awarded? I don't think it has. I was very happy to gain a level (or at least 1xp short of it) right off the bat after the update, because I wasn't expecting that.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a v14 sorc. Was in IC yesterday for three hours killing other players, bosses and mobs. No xp gain what so ever. Today I went into White Gold Tower and killed a boss 156k and all his adds solo and no xp gain and no loot. Did a repair and still no xp gain. Other players have killed one boss as a V14 and leveled to v15. Don't know what is going on but something is wrong and needs to be looked into.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I spoke to a few people in guild chat, and it was clear right there and then that what had happened was that characters that had earned more than 1 VR level of xp were put at 1xp short of VR15.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything better than that, has retrospective XP ever been logged and awarded? I don't think it has. I was very happy to gain a level (or at least 1xp short of it) right off the bat after the update, because I wasn't expecting that.
    This isn't about giving us retroactive XP, but taking away XP already earned and recorded. They cut off everything above the new max, 850k, and it affects all ranks, not just v14. If you were v2 with 900k XP before the patch, 50k of it just went poof. What should have happened instead is rolling over into the next rank, making you a v3 with 50k XP towards v4.
    Edited by Rosveen on September 1, 2015 9:00AM
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »
    Other players have killed one boss as a V14 and leveled to v15.

That's kind of to be expected. Maxing out xp under the old system would leave you on the brink of V15. Now that V15 is actually here, the tiniest amount of xp would push you over the edge.

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh!
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We didn’t retroactively add up all the XP earned and award levels based on that – that would require the servers be down for several days while we crunch the character database

Don't have an issue with how the conversion was done, but to be honest, I smell BS in that explanation :-)

VR8 with 900.000 before patch => 8 * 1.000.000 + 900.000 = 8.900.000 total XP

After patch with VR being 850.000 :

8.900.000 / 850.000 => VR10
    8.900.000 % 850.000 => 400.000 xp into VR10

Or if only the considering the overflow within the current level, then it's just as easy.. > 850.000 ? +1 VR and set XP to value - 850.000

• zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    McGordon wrote: »
    Im not happy about it too. I'm v8 sorc. Have finished all main vet qusts (silver and gold) So im worried if its possible to reach v16 for me. ( If I do also all side quests). Dont like system at all :/

How's that ZOS fault? I'm vr6 and only finished the 3rd area in silver, most people hit vr11-12 after gold. So it's zos's. Fault you blasted through the content?

If anything all this patch has done is make it 15% faster to get each rank. Better crack on.
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already glad that my current earned ep value in VR14 still counts to leveling to VR15 so that I need just 1 more ep for VR15, because I heard misleading information about that from different people.

By "losing" (you may clearly argue about that phrase for a week or twice...) 1,1 million eps from your "total earnt" balance you feel "shafted" while you still keep your former VR lvl ? Sorry, there should be more in this game worthy to cry about.
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Shakes head at ZOS*
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I logged in yesterday I was at V14 with only 1 XP point away from V15. On my way to the sewer entrance I killed a Lion and got to V15. Some people didn't get that? That sucks :/
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server