The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Fungal Grotto... Grinding or Cheating?

thelastNoble
This all began about a week ago when my friend informed me that there was a way up from 12-50 by grinding the Fungal Grotto's first two bosses, heading out, disbanding regrouping and then doing it all over again. Just a basic rinse and repeat without any competition on the grind other than the members in your group. Thinking nothing of it I got on my VR14 to help my buddies get up some levels so we could play Cyrodil together without them getting destroyed in Haderus with me. After an hour passed, the technique didn't seem like it was doing all that much since they had only gotten a level and a half. Unsure of the technique we took a minute break to grab a drink and we would come back to discuss if it was even worth it anymore.

When I returned to my game, however, I was surrounded by lower level players saying that I was cheating by going through this with my buddies and that the tactic was cheating the leveling process. They all went on to say they had reported me for cheating as well. Immediately we disbanded and left, because we had no idea what we were doing. At the time I was already VR14 with about 30 quests away from the 1000 quest completed mark. Since then, I have been freaking out. This is my first MMO so I have not a clue what is even going on. I have spent so much time and effort and money into making my VR14 I would hate to get in trouble I clearly knew nothing about.

Curious as well, I went ahead and tested it on my Night Blade and got him from 12-32 in 12 hours while using experience scrolls, having Thornblade as my home campaign and having ESO plus. To me this seems like its just a giant waste of time. It seemed no faster than how I leveled my Dragon Knight which I have done nearly every quest I can (Craglorn is tough to find a group). I could have very easily done the same questing and everyone says questing is the slowest method of leveling.

The next day I submitted a report to to support and they've been very kind, but have been kind of ignoring the question itself. Is this cheating? So I ask you, the community, is it? Should I delete my Night Blade? I mean I've found videos all over the internet about how people can go 1-50 in 6 hours in every faction. None of those videos used this tactic either.
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    As far as know no way of grinding is considered cheating by ZOS. Doing so doesn't break the ToS or anything like that so I wouldn't sweat. People grind all day in many spots/dungeons and nothing comes of it other than the spot eventually getting nerfed.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The highest authority is Zenimax themselves. What did the support team say? Did they consider it cheating? If not (and I am very sure that they said exactly this), go on and ignore those that slander... It is probably just jealousy since they apparently don't have friends that will help them leveling without personal gain.
  • thelastNoble
    Leandor wrote: »
    The highest authority is Zenimax themselves. What did the support team say? Did they consider it cheating? If not (and I am very sure that they said exactly this), go on and ignore those that slander... It is probably just jealousy since they apparently don't have friends that will help them leveling without personal gain.

They didn't really say anything about it. I have just been giving them reports as I've gone further into investigating it and keeping them updated. The only response I've really heard in regards to the question is a thank you for putting so much effort into helping them investigate the matter. Today after I asked about if I should delete my Night Blade since I went ahead and tested it with him was a response with an invitation to the forums. I'm assuming that means they are just ignoring the question as it does seem kind of silly to the rest of the community I have asked thus far. I just am freaking out, like I said, because I didn't have a clue and I would hate to be punished for something that seems like a grinding technique no different than any other.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't. You did nothing wrong by trying to help your friends.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I returned to my game, however, I was surrounded by lower level players...

This part of your story confuses me. Fungal Grotto is an instanced dungeon, so the only players you're going to meet there are the ones in your group.

Anyway, to answer your question, grinding XP is NOT cheating, exploiting, cheesing or any other "bad" behavior. If any ankle-biters try to tell you different, just flip 'em the bird.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • thelastNoble
    This part of your story confuses me. Fungal Grotto is an instanced dungeon, so the only players you're going to meet there are the ones in your group.

We were standing outside the dungeon at the time. I was in group chat and area chat, so when I returned I could hear them around me in area chat. I am in the Ebonheart Pact so this is the first dungeon in the Stonefalls area as well. There are people there trying to group up all the time
  • thelastNoble
    I really just want to hear a response from ZoS about this. As soon as I can get a confirmation then I would be at ease about it all. I don't want to keep working on my Night Blade because I fear that they could respond with a yes go and delete that character or something
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is definitely not cheating, and even if it was, ZoS has developed a habit of leaving cheaters unpunished.
    You can now sit back and relax.
    Wololo.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore the whiners. You are harming no one since the dungeon is instanced.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL you got trolled by console kiddies.

Also thanks you jerk, you just let ZoS know what dungeon to nerf next patch.

NO ONE TELL HIM ABOUT THE OTHER DUNGEON.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You submitted a support ticket, because you leveled a character in a dungeon grind - do I have that right?
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why would they take action against you for playing the game in a personal isolated group instance ?
    Its upto ZOS to fix XP balance issues.
    They have apparently already thanked you for pointing out this XP issue.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • thelastNoble
    I guess sorry for letting them know? I mean I don't care if people use this method personally. In fact they can go right ahead and miss all those skill points from the area based quests, but I would hate for someone to punished, such as myself, simply for not knowing any better. I mean either way people still would have to take the time to go back and find those skill point quests or have to find the sky shards to make up the difference and that makes it seem so inefficient.

This is my first MMO, gimme a break here haha. I thank you all for your responses though.
    Edited by thelastNoble on August 31, 2015 9:49PM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The real xp is going back and forth between wayrest and grotto but only kill mobs up until first boss dont kill first boss 1-50 in a day with xp scrolls
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't delete your nightblade. If ZoS had an issue with what you were doing they most likely would have already took action against you. I've never heard of someone getting s ban for grinding unless they used bots to do so. I think you should just stay calm about it and learn from what happened. You're obviously not comfortable about it but if you just want two cents from the community I really don't think you did anything wrong.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not a cheater. Am I a cheater by only leveling up my wood elf by ledgermain skills? Doing the same loops in breaking into houses over and over?