The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Impenetrable Armor Trait in PVP

MrTarkanian48
MrTarkanian48
✭✭✭✭
So if you wear armor with impenetrable trait, are you reducing the enemies crit % chance of landing a critical hit on you, or are you mitigating the damage that occurs when you take a critical hit? I am contemplating switching my NB Dark cloak morph to the Shadowy Disguise morph for PVP, but if impenetrable is reducing the damage from critical hits I probably won't bother.
Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
Altmer NB (DPS)
Imperial DK (Tank)
Redguard DK (DPS)
Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4

Best Answers

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It reduces the bonus damage they receive for a critical hit. It is also buffed in 2.1 and is actually pretty good again.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Answer ✓
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crit is always useful although there is quite a tradeoff using shadow disguise versus Dark Cloak as Dark cloak will remove dots including beams and meteor.

The amount of Critical Resistance required to completely eliminate the unmodified bonus damage from a Critical hit is 50 * (your Character Level + your Veteran Rank number).
    For example, a VR14 would be 50 * (50 + 14)

So at VR16 3300 Impen would be needed to completely negate the base 50% crit bonus damage.

If I'm reading the patch notes correct a legendary piece of Impen gear *should* be provided 250 Impen which means you'd reduce their crit bonus damage by 30.3% with 8 pieces of Impen gear (Max)

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
    Answer ✓
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know the details to how it is being buffed?

Also do you or does anyone know the mechanics behind this? Its says a legendary armor piece with Impenetrable increases resistance to critical hits by 100... What does that figure represent or how is it applied? Just trying to figure out how many pieces are needed for good mitigation. Also I am trying to determine if using a skill that gives 100% crit (shadowy disguise) chance is even worth it in high end pvp if people are using alot of impenetrable gear...
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is extremely helpful man, thank you.

I have been dark cloak all the way because I love it to shed DOTs. Now that I have been PVPing a bit, I have picked up Efficient Purge. Im considering throwing that on for the DOTs , especially since it sheds off Mark Target (which has been my worst enemy). So I may run both Shadowy Disguise and Efficient Purge.

Last question. Other than impenetrable gear and champion points in Resistant (Steed), do players have other ways of increasing resistance to critical hits? Can players get to 50% or more mitigation?
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way possible I could run without DARK CLOAK in PVP... The removal of DOTs is a MUST. Sure there's PURGE and the like, but the cost plus the waste of the bar slot is unthinkable. DARK CLOAK runs double duty as a DOT remover and stealth utility.

If I'm clever on how I use my cloak, I can avoid being marked quite often if they don't hit me with it unaware.

That crit from SHADOWY DISGUISE aint all it's cracked up to be anyway.
    Edited by QuebraRegra on August 28, 2015 9:45PM
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No way possible I could run without DARK CLOAK in PVP... The removal of DOTs is a MUST. Sure there's PURGE and the like, but the cost plus the waste of the bar slot is unthinkable. DARK CLOAK runs double duty as a DOT remover and stealth utility.

If I'm clever on how I use my cloak, I can avoid being marked quite often if they don't hit me with it unaware.

Some build's would say otherwise.

-You don't have to slot Expert Hunter for the crit %.
    -You can easily slot Efficient purge against Piercing Mark's and DoT's. (same cost as Dark Cloak and hit's allies)
    -Instead of using Dual Dagger's you could use Axe's or Mace's.
    -You would not need to use hunding rage for crit %.
    -You don't need Precise Trait, you could use Sharpend or Infused / Etc.
    -You can guarantee crit's with this. Snipe>Cloak>Snipe>Cloak , would be deadly.

When imperial city drop's i may make the switch since there is no siege around. I use Dark Cloak don't get me wrong but Shadowy Cloak will be more appealing once Cloak is fixed.
    Does purge block Meteor and Beam's though?

PS4 NA DC
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭

Some build's would say otherwise.

-You don't have to slot Expert Hunter for the crit %.
    -You can easily slot Efficient purge against Piercing Mark's and DoT's. (same cost as Dark Cloak and hit's allies)
    -Instead of using Dual Dagger's you could use Axe's or Mace's.
    -You would not need to use hunding rage for crit %.
    -You don't need Precise Trait, you could use Sharpend or Infused / Etc.
    -You can guarantee crit's with this. Snipe>Cloak>Snipe>Cloak , would be deadly.

When imperial city drop's i may make the switch since there is no siege around. I use Dark Cloak don't get me wrong but Shadowy Cloak will be more appealing once Cloak is fixed.
    Does purge block Meteor and Beam's though?

Except you cannot crit blockers and dmg absorbing shields.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @reeko I remember hearing on pts talk about the ability to crit on damage shield's. Also blocking would only be an issue after your initial stealth attack.

You could use Shield Breaker set, not sure if you can crit with the set effect though.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    @reeko I remember hearing on pts talk about the ability to crit on damage shield's. Also blocking would only be an issue after your initial stealth attack.

You could use Shield Breaker set, not sure if you can crit with the set effect though.

Really? I must have missed that part of the patch notes.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @reeko there was only discussion of possible implementation on eso live. It's not in any build as of yet.
    PS4 NA DC