Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Can I use weapon skills AND class skills?

mashugana
mashugana
It seems like I need to either focus on Magicka or Stamina to be able to fight and survive as I level. Since the fun and cool weapon skills seem to use Stamina and the fun class skills use Magicka it seems like I need to go one way or the other. Or am I missing something? If I want to use a few class skills and a few weapon skills is that feasible? Do you split points between Stam/Magick evenly?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some class skills morph into stamina, I do not know what class you are though.

as a magicka player I use some stamina skills as defensive skills not for dmg but for my survival and vice versa as a stamina player.

You can split points if you solo no problem, but if you want to be competitive you should put points into one, I do not know of anyone being able to be competitive and have split between magicka and stamina dmg. Maybe there is, you can try :)
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just do what you want, if you really want to use both you will find away, I use both
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    What class and weapons are your trying to focus on? The more information you share the better the community can help you.

Initially you will be limited in available skill points. You'll want to focus on leveling your class skills even if you aren't fully using them. If you are using a stamina weapon I would recommend on slotting 2 of your weapon abilities and one ability from each of your 3 class trees.

As a stamina weapon user you probably want to focus on stamina ability point increases more than magicka.

If you want to see which abilities will morph to use stamina or magicka you can try:
    1. http://eso-skills.com/
    2. http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Class+Skills
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can't maximize the effect of both stamina and magicka skills, but that doesn't mean that the non-maximized skills are useless.

You can also use a staff with magicka class skills or use stamina morphs of class skills with stamina weapons.
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing to realize is that you have two resource pools. Only using one of the resource pools means you aren't fully realizing your potential.

I would suggest that its easier for a magicka user to use magicka weapons and class abilities, thereby leaving stamina for blocking, rolling, and sprinting.

Resource management is slightly less forgiving for stamina based builds, but certainly isn't overwhelming.

As an example, if you are a Nightblade, try focusing on your weapon abilities but throw in Strife early in your attack rotation. Strife will not deplete your stamina pool, does great damage and gives a nice heal over time.
    Edited by Tessie on August 27, 2015 6:55PM
  • Blackheart0129
    Just because you use a stamina build doesnt mean you wont use magika and vice versa.

The most effective builds takes advantage of both resources. This applies to all builds but its more significantly noticed on Melee DPS and Stamina Tanks IMO.

You also do not have to split your attribute points between three stat (Health, Stamina, and Magika). For example if you're a Dragon Knight Stamina Tank you can use Hardened Armor and Igneous Shield and Green Dragon Blood, all three are Magika Based skills, which will make you a more effective Tank. All three of those are staple for DK Tanks. By using Magika based defensive buffs and self heals you save your Stamina resource for more important things for a Tank such as Taunts, Dodge Rolls, and Blocking.

You can use all three skills one after the other actually without investing a single attribute point to Magika. Instead you have to use other means such as cost reduction and resource recovery.
  • deadlykitten6
    I run a stamina nightblade but i still use skills like cloak which is magicka based and have no problems. I couldn't spam magic skills like i could my stamina ones but i have two on each bar that are magic based. Best thing to do is try stuff until you find what works for you. You will end up respecing sometime at end game anyways. I have found the more skills you have leveled at end game the better some fights different skills work better for then you have AOE or single target PVP or PVE so best advice is do what works best for you in what part of the game you enjoy and play the most
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Thanks all. Great advice. To be clear I am looking more for fun then any kind of min-max. If my build is not optimal but will let me level and quest against even level content then I am peachy.

I guess I was worried that if I did not point points into Stam then any Stam based abilities would hit like a wet noodle and just not be fun. Or if I split between Magicka and Stamina then at some point I'd be so gimped I could not even handle even level content.

But I think I can split my points evenly between Stam and Magicka, use magic and stam based skills, and still solo normal content. This way I can try everything and see what I like in ESO.

Thanks again.