Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Question about DK build

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
I finally found a DK build I like, unfortunately, they didn't include how to distribute your Attributes.

I'm playing a 2H sword/weapon, with my abilities mainly in the Ardent Flame tree, 2H tree, Earthen Heart tree, and Draconic Tree. These are the abilities on my first bar. Two of the abilities are stamina based; the other three are magicka based.

So, my question is should I put everything in magicka or stam, or split them?

Another issue, I've decided to carry a resto staff and heals on the second bar, All those heals are magicka based.

I presume I'm going strong, if not all, in magicka lol?

I had already selected the Mage stone, to boost magicka, but sometimes I still ran low on magicka which impacted how I was fighting.

Reason I'm asking is because I just respecced my abilities, and attritubes (which I had split between the three - not good).

Last question, the recommendation was to go with medium armor because there's an increase in damage (because of the passives, I guess). Would it hurt to go with light armor because of the increased support for magicka.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I'm a solo player till much later in the game.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Krazy_ADHD
    im in the same boat.... i just realized i use more magicka then stamina and those skills are stronger then rapid strikes with my daggers.. so i dont know wether to split attribute points or put them all in one.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, the paradigm, currently, is to go all in on the Attribute that scales your skills. Each skill has a morph, and most of those are a choice between Stamina and Magick. So, depending on what skill morphs you choose, that is how you go. Now, that being said, you may want to put some att points into Health if you think you need a buff there, but in PvE, if you block and dodge roll and interrupt etc, you don't have to worry overmuch about health. PvP and Trials? You may want more health. But you can always respec later if you need to.

I put my DK into Stamina after 1.6 and did not like it, so I put him back into magic. So, all my attributes are in magic, all my armor has magic glyphs on it, and my jewelery has spell cost reduction glyphs. I also run a 5 piece Seducer (it's heavy, but I will talk about that in a moment) for more spell cost reduction. And, I have 8% more cost reduction from the Champ system. I never run out of magic. Would I be even better off if the Seducer set is Light? Yes, but I don't need to go that route currently. I do have two light pieces that go with the Heavy so I get some passives from that.

Medium Armor is more for Stamina than for magic characters. So, your better off going 5/2 Heavy/Light or Light/Heavy than any medium. Unless you use the Undaunted passives then you want 5/1/1. I don't use those passives myself.

With my current set up, and even using Heavy Armor, I never run out of magic. But, I did not get there until I put Spell cost reduction glyphs on my jewelery. 3 Gold Glyphs give me more than 650 points spell cost reduction. My Burning Embers costs me 86 magic to cast. With 1208 in regen and 28,000 plus in magic, I can spam that spell all day long. Flame Whip is like 280 something (I need to write it down it's so low) so all my attack spells are spamable to the end of time.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Krazy_ADHD
    so what about your sword or daggers? Dont use stamina attacks just use the magika ones?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krazy_ADHD wrote: »
    so what about your sword or daggers? Dont use stamina attacks just use the magika ones?

My melee attacks (DK uses Sword and Board on one Bar, and Destro Staff on the other) are just for weaving in between spells. I will use Heavy Attacks where it makes sense (against a stunned enemy for example). The only reason I even weave is to extend the magic pool in boss fights, but after putting the spell cost reductions on the jewlery, I don't really need to do that. I have not tanked a Vet Dungeon Boss yet with this set up, but I have before the cost reductions and my magic was getting depleted (nothing a Tripot would not fix so it was not a fight ender), it will be interesting to see what happens now.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Blackheart0129
    The easiest way to figure out where to put your attrribute points on is to go and give that build a run. Determine how to effectively use the build. From there look at which resource you seem to need more of everytime and invest them there.

Which skills you have slotted, How many uses magika and how many uses stamina doesn't matter. Simply because even with three magika based skill on your bar, that doesn't mean it will be used more than the other skills. Lije on 2 handed for example. Those two skills is probably going to be Rally and/or Wrecking Blow. Wrecking Blow is probably going to be used more than anything else and that will eat up a lot of stamina.

As a DK Stamina Tank myself my bar has 3x magika and 2x stamina based skills. Those magika based skills are my buffs and self heals which are only activated on certain times so even if I ran out of magika from the get-go I know i would have had my magika fully recovered by the time those buffs runs out and needs to be re-casted. Actually you will often see my Stamina depleted more than my magika and i dont have a single point invested on my magika. Its mostly split betweeb Stamina and Health. There is a difference between tanking and being a DPS i know that. Im just making an example.

• Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it.

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I not long hit vet 14.

I play as a tank, but now starting to put CP into dps as I'm comfortable with my tanking abilities. I was using both dual weild and ardent flame abilities for damage. I split champion points between them.

This weekend I'm ditching the dual wield abilities (still gonna keep my sword for the spell crit and heavy attacks) and going full ardent flame. Taking champion point from physical damage and putting them into spell pen, elemental damage etc.

I'm m have an almost 2:1:1 ratio for health as I play tank. I need stamina for blocking/dodging and magic for shield and heals.

Going to keep my hist bark 5 piece for dungeons and run it with a 4 piece magnus (drop to 2 piece once I get those engine guardian 2 piece) and run a 5 piece seducer and 4 piece magnus (drop to 2 " ") for pvp.

Anyway, I'd go magic for for dps. Ardent flame, look at mage guild abilities too for stuff to grant sorcery etc. Do not use fire rune though.

If you ditch melee, ditch the sword and get an inferno staff. If stamina is not much use to you as a result, don't bother with medium. Wear 5 light. Maybe use the other two as heavy for a bit of survivability.