The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Race change a conveince item?

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    supernico wrote: »
    dharbert wrote: »
    No. It's been discussed a thousand times.

All that would foster is everyone changing races every time Zenimax makes a change so they can keep the FotM.

uhm.. and your point is?

His point is firstly that this is an old topic that has been done to death already, and secondly that he's against it because it would lead to players wanting to change their race every time ZOS made a change to racial skills.

He's right on both counts.

And if this is in the Crown Store and marketable, how is it a bad thing for us or ZOS? Things that people buy over and over again are exactly what they should put in the Crown Store.
    Edited by Robbmrp on March 3, 2015 11:52PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race can't be both insignificant and game changing at the same time. As Z continues to tweak/change the game for balance, race really will become just a convenience. And there probably will be a simple way to change your race to whatever you want.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The people in this thread saying no to this idea are using the following logic.

<List of generalizations and misrepresentations>

- Every Selfish PvE'er/Lorebear everywhere.

Ooh ooh ooh, I can play this game too! What fun!
    1. I only picked my race because I liked the numbers.
    2. Yes other races have significant contributions in terms of lore/immersion/atmosphere but I’m an awesome PvP/Raid/Endgame PvE’r.
    3. Just because I want to chase the FOTM build everyone should be subject to the same min/maxing requirements whenever they undertake actions that involve other people.
    4. But I hate my race now, as opposed to yesterday, because the numbers have changed… and other people now have better numbers and since this game is all about the numbers the numbers are what is most important!
    5. I don’t care if players who choose not to change can’t get invited to groups because they are the “wrong” race.

-Every shortsighted self-absorbed PvP’er/Raider/Endgame PvE’er everywhere.

Now, was either of those posts particularly useful in terms of the costs or benefits of including race change functionality either as a one-shot or in the crown store? I doubt it.

So why don't we quit constructing strawmen and get back to the actual impact (positive or negative) that this might have, eh?
  • egosumacunnus
    egosumacunnus
    ✭✭✭

All that would foster is everyone changing races every time Zenimax makes a change so they can keep the FotM.

You just assign a cash value to the change. Hey presto Zos is on board and the game goes more Pay to Win as it inevitably will anyway.
    If real life had a block function i would go out more.

Proud to have spent a year paying to BETA test ESO for consoles.

Error Code 301
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since when is changing your stats, however minor, a convenience?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭

So no food or drink in the crown store?
  • Skiserony
    Skiserony
    ✭✭✭
    I really want(need) the racial swap. I know some of you are against it, but this isn't what I wanted when the game came out. It's really a bummer for me now, I really do not enjoy this since it's my only character. Now I'm pretty much 'forced' to change the way I play to keep up with end game numbers. (From mage to stam build)

Was running a Redguard DK mage in PvP mostly, which was pretty fine actually. Didn't boost mag or anything that would help a mage, not PvE nor PvP. Since I could softcap mag, spell dmg, spell res and mag regen the stamina boosts weren't that bad actually. Not better than any mag race, but the difference wasn't that huge.

Now it's all about min/max if you want to keep up the high numbers. And yeah, I don't have to change, but for example. Dunmer DK mage in comparison with Redguard DK mage:
    8-12% more damage with fire (which a mage DK is all about)(source TF)
    9% more mag (which contributes to the 8-12% dmg)
    More Fire Resistance
    4% less stamina (ugh common it's a Redguard vs a Dunmer, and we're talking about a mage here)
    9% less stam regen (not useful for mage at all, thanks for the extra 45 stamina (or 4.5 stam in 1.5) every 2s which I don't need)
    Redguard has stam return on melee hit (yeah, really useful for a mage with no melee hits -_- only positive thing I see is you have 3 extra skillpoints to spend elsewhere)
    There is just nothing that a mage DK benefits from being a Redguard.

So Dunmer DK mage vs Redguard DK mage? Obvious (unless Redguard goes stam, but it's not cool to be forced in that to keep up)

So basically, because of removal softcaps, the differences are huuuge. Any Redguard mage is really getting screwed over hard. Been screwing around a lot in PTS and now on live, I just don't like it. It's frustrating. Rerolling? No, I want to keep this character, there is a reason why I only have one since launch with +1500h. Plus all the wasted time I could have spend in gaining CP would give me another disadvantage.

I get people are against it, but in these cases, where it's someones only character since launch, it really is a stab in the back. I could just not care, but I do. I'd like to keep up, which should be normal. In 1.5 it also made a difference but not that significant.

Many people say that it's ridiculous to give a race swap everytime they change the game, I get it, but yeah actually they should. Especially now, I chose Redguard for RP because it wasn't going to be that much of an advantage. And now, 10 months later I'm in a big disadvantage. Common, really? So I know, a lot of people don't need it or want it, but some of us really do need it. It just wouldn't be fair. Why do I feel like that? Because I'm in this situation, why most people use this argument? Because most are not in this situation.

Just sell it in the Crown Store, pricey or not. I'm willing to pay, which is interesting for ZoS and thus us. I think that's a fair deal, to not give it away but have the option. If it's costly enough, then only people who really need it, will undergo the racial swap. I don't see why people are against it.

Please ZoS, all the Redguard Mages are begging you. And sorry for the long post, just had to get it out of the system.
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    If people are frustrated about all the posts about this the real target for their frustration should be the Devs. Removing soft/hard caps fundamentally changed the importance of racial abilities in the game, to say nothing of specific changes to races. For those folks who like maxing their character or who play PVP, which is a competitive game not a RP game, this all matters.

This is going to come up endlessly until people either get a way to resolve their frustration from Zeni or move on to a different entertainment product. The later choice is not really good for us or Zeni as it reduces revenue to develop the game.
    Edited by GreyRanger on March 5, 2015 5:15AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it in the Crown Store... charge $30 bucks for it.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to agree with this guy. People roll different characters for different purposes. Don't like the race for the role you are playing, start a new one. It only takes a few weeks to max a new character out and it will become a little faster for subscribers come Unlimited.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Put it in the Crown Store... charge $30 bucks for it.

Correction:
    Put it in the Crown Store, charge $500 bucks for it, and make it so that your character automatically gets reset to the starting prison.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ommamar wrote: »
    So after listening to timeout from Tamriel I got into a discussion with others who play the game. For those who missed it the question of race change in the crown store was brought up. One of the people main initial character was a Nord which with the passives is kind of set up to fill a specific role generally a tank or perhaps a healer. You can DPS with them but they will never be as good damage wise as some of the other classes that have passives that add offensive damage. I think it is cool that they have made the races unique but the drawback is to be in the top echelon of end game you need to take certain combinations with certain races to make the required numbers. Now this is really a min max issue which only effects a certain percentage of players. Still it makes sense for someone who has invested hundreds of hours into building a character to be able to change the race to meet their play style/build concept. What does this forum community think?

If race change is not a convenience item it is a tacit admission that races are not equal is it not? If race was simply a costume we would not be arguing this. Race is not a costume though. Some races such as Imperial (the first pay to win) have genuinely universally useful passives (not dying is good). Some races, such as High Elf have passives useful for particular rolls such as Mage dps or heals. Lastly, some races such as Orcs are really pretty worthless no matter what you do.

The bottom line is that racial passives are significantly powerful, racial passives have been changed frequently and substantially, and other aspects of the game have also been changed and rebalanced to the point that many people are probably playing roles different from what they anticipated. I congratulate those who are lucky enough to still have a toon with a race relevant to their roll. Many of my toons are not so lucky. It would certainly be more than a convenience item for me to be able to change since I would become 5% or so more powerful.

The question not whether some races are more powerful than others. This is self evident buy the giant race imbalance in player chosen races. The question is whether I should be stuck with a garbage race when I was not the one who changed the passives of that race or the balance of the game in general. Every time abilities get changed we get a repec despite the trivial cost of doing this yourself. Racial passives are dramatically changed and nothing. It is not fair and to be honest, I don't think I should have to pay greenbacks to get it done.

Solution, allow shrine respec of racial passive set choice for gold, which is meaningful to player power. Make racial appearance similar to a costume and allow changes for crowns since this is a convenience item.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • gurgnir
    gurgnir
    ✭✭
    Skiserony wrote: »
    I really want(need) the racial swap. I know some of you are against it, but this isn't what I wanted when the game came out. It's really a bummer for me now, I really do not enjoy this since it's my only character. Now I'm pretty much 'forced' to change the way I play to keep up with end game numbers. (From mage to stam build)

Was running a Redguard DK mage in PvP mostly, which was pretty fine actually. Didn't boost mag or anything that would help a mage, not PvE nor PvP. Since I could softcap mag, spell dmg, spell res and mag regen the stamina boosts weren't that bad actually. Not better than any mag race, but the difference wasn't that huge.

Now it's all about min/max if you want to keep up the high numbers. And yeah, I don't have to change, but for example. Dunmer DK mage in comparison with Redguard DK mage:
    8-12% more damage with fire (which a mage DK is all about)(source TF)
    9% more mag (which contributes to the 8-12% dmg)
    More Fire Resistance
    4% less stamina (ugh common it's a Redguard vs a Dunmer, and we're talking about a mage here)
    9% less stam regen (not useful for mage at all, thanks for the extra 45 stamina (or 4.5 stam in 1.5) every 2s which I don't need)
    Redguard has stam return on melee hit (yeah, really useful for a mage with no melee hits -_- only positive thing I see is you have 3 extra skillpoints to spend elsewhere)
    There is just nothing that a mage DK benefits from being a Redguard.

So Dunmer DK mage vs Redguard DK mage? Obvious (unless Redguard goes stam, but it's not cool to be forced in that to keep up)

So basically, because of removal softcaps, the differences are huuuge. Any Redguard mage is really getting screwed over hard. Been screwing around a lot in PTS and now on live, I just don't like it. It's frustrating. Rerolling? No, I want to keep this character, there is a reason why I only have one since launch with +1500h. Plus all the wasted time I could have spend in gaining CP would give me another disadvantage.

I get people are against it, but in these cases, where it's someones only character since launch, it really is a stab in the back. I could just not care, but I do. I'd like to keep up, which should be normal. In 1.5 it also made a difference but not that significant.

Many people say that it's ridiculous to give a race swap everytime they change the game, I get it, but yeah actually they should. Especially now, I chose Redguard for RP because it wasn't going to be that much of an advantage. And now, 10 months later I'm in a big disadvantage. Common, really? So I know, a lot of people don't need it or want it, but some of us really do need it. It just wouldn't be fair. Why do I feel like that? Because I'm in this situation, why most people use this argument? Because most are not in this situation.

Just sell it in the Crown Store, pricey or not. I'm willing to pay, which is interesting for ZoS and thus us. I think that's a fair deal, to not give it away but have the option. If it's costly enough, then only people who really need it, will undergo the racial swap. I don't see why people are against it.

Please ZoS, all the Redguard Mages are begging you. And sorry for the long post, just had to get it out of the system.

The only silly thing here is that Redguard mages were able to compete with Dunmer mages in the first place.

When you take the racial bonuses at face value and even prior to 1.6, Redguard was very clearly a choice for melee / stamina orientated builds. In my opinion, all's Z have done is reinforce the race-build distinctions with the removal of soft-caps. So now the difference is much more pronounced.

In Elder Scrolls lore, Redguards are a warrior people, famed for their skill in combat - not for their mastery of magicka. I know there are exceptions, but they are what they are: exceptions. So to reiterate my earlier point, the only silly thing is that redguards were able to more-or-less keep up with magicka orientated races, given the situation with the racial passives.

If people were arguing for a reduction in the strength of racial passives, rather than race changes, I suspect there would be a lot more support on this forum.
    Edited by gurgnir on March 5, 2015 11:09AM
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    gurgnir wrote: »
    If people were arguing for a reduction in the strength of racial passives, rather than race changes, I suspect there would be a lot more support on this forum.

If it staved off the introduction of race changes into the crown store? You're damn right I would support this.

I do strongly dislike the idea of gutting races of their functional identity but at least then race selection and retention could become more to do with characterization than numberchasing.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't see the problem.

Yes, this has been discussed numerous times. But until it is done, the discussions will continue, because a lot of players really want it, and another lot of players really hate it...

Yes, some people will be changing their race to follow FotM builds. Others for other reasons. So what? Charge them 20 bucks worth of crowns to go into the zenimax warchest, pay for faster content development for the rest of us... win-win.

I for one wouldn't want to change any of my character races at this point, and I wouldn't want to see it as cheap, casual option... but I am not opposed to having the option in the cash store.
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭

Why should I not be able to change race when the reasons I chose race/class have been changed dramatically in a patch barely half of users imo think is a good idea~?

Reroll is not an option for anyone who has a life unfortunately so please don't say that or it will cement my opinion of you

• Skiserony
    Skiserony
    ✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »

Why should I not be able to change race when the reasons I chose race/class have been changed dramatically in a patch barely half of users imo think is a good idea~?

Reroll is not an option for anyone who has a life unfortunately so please don't say that or it will cement my opinion of you

I have to support this. Really awful lot people say 'just reroll a new character', but that is not fair either. First of all, some have put over a thousand hours into their character, completed gold, chased titles, 10k achievements, high pvp rank, 290+ skillpoints, undaunted lvl 9!! (which is a pretty huge deal and takes a long time), endgame gear worth a fortune, ... Is it worth rerolling while you already have all of it but wont use it anymore because of a silly race skill line? No, I don't see why people should tell other to reroll, that's a personal choice too.

Second, for some it takes weeks-months to lvl up an alt to lvl50. That's not really encouraging. Plus all that time we have to put into lvling our character is wasted because it was time we could have put into earning CP, which is a pretty huge deal. So therefore rerolling is a pretty bad option and shouldn't be used as an argument against those who are a bit frustrated about this.Can be presented as a posibility though.
  • Shlankwald
    Shlankwald
    ✭✭✭
    This topic has been made a lot, and I think I recall them saying if they found a streamlined way to do it they would (but maybe that was name changes I was reading about)

I do think they should allow them, though. Its not pay to win, most MMOs allow this from my past experience. If people are willing to pay money every few months for small bonuses that never surpass even a 10% increase, then have at it.

To everyone saying just level a new character and claiming it only takes a few weeks, why does this upset you so much then? If your saying it doesn't take very long to level an alt, then do it and let those who don't have as much time pay to change ours. If you truly can offset the cost with what you consider a small time investment, then its not "pay to win" if anything its paying to save time and character slots. Pay to win would be paying to obtain something that is normally out of your grasp.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ommamar wrote: »

So no food or drink in the crown store?
    @Ommamar , oh, my bad... you want a potion.

In that case, I have no problem with you changing your race 45 seconds at a time.

Comparing a permanent change of stats to a temporary change of stats is hardly a valid argument.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭

This is your statement, food and drink change your stats.

Since the majority of experienced players are intelligent enough to keep the food buff on their build how do you consider this a temporary change?

No I don't want a potion, I would like a constructive discussion on your views of this topic a one sentence statement then an attack on me I am guessing because I started the thread isn't constructive.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it would be nice for a one time only race change option since they have made significant changes to the mechanics of the game since launch.
    :trollin:
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is all it is anyone who picked a race that fully synergies like high elf sorc is against it(race change). This choice is simple max magic equals win and it prob won't change so those people are happy and will try to shut it down for others who want to enjoy their level of competence. ZOS should really listen to their base on this one as with the removal of the caps it completely changed the game and left previous builds hosed. My only concern is yes to race no to alliance change if that makes since. But Zos better hurry because this loyal subscriber will be taking his money elsewhere otherwise. Choi
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rather than free race change, I would then remove racial differences completely and make races a purely visual thing like costumes. I strongly oppose both those options.

I like the fact that races offer different perks and cater to different styles (largely according to the world's lore, even). Now, with the changes implemented in 1.6 and the complete change of the main advantages of a very few of the races (actually, only argonian), those that did choose this specific race should be allowed a one-off race change - because the premise of their racial choice has completely changed.

A general race change option, available always and unrestricted, is bollox and only "forces" to adhere to the FOTM, since there will be enough groups that require certain combinations. Yes, I can already hear the argument that "you don't need to play with those that do requires this", but most of us have made "friends" and will hesitate to just say "faugh all, I'm gone".

Redguards have always been stamina-oriented. Altmer have always been magicka-oriented. If their stats get tweaked, that is no reason for a change. "I was a Bosmer nightblade, but now Orsimer is better for this style, I want a race change" - this is what happens with a race change option. Imagine now that it will be a "convenience item" in the crown store with a price tag of... oh, let's take the 10k crowns mentioned above.

Commence hobby-lawyer threads. No, thank you.

TL/DR: Race change only in case of game-defining changes like argonian potion passive as a one-off free option. Not as a general option.
    Edited by Leandor on August 27, 2015 10:33AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not like to see race changing in the crown store. Would rather barber shop and plastic surgery.
  • M4YON
    M4YON
    I am a console player very new to the builds, races and alliances compared to the long standing PC players so upon its release i started the game blind, in other words i knew very little about choosing certain races for a character style. I chose my Sorcerer and my race I picked Dark elf which as it happens isn't that bad but now I've read up on the game a bit more i know that High Elf was what i needed to pick and so i would like the opportunity to race re-roll simply because i can better my character.

It's an option available in other MMORPG games like Neverwinter and it's a huge success, i understand people will not like the idea but the fact remains hundreds of new players have chosen incompatible races for there characters and simply cannot function in veteran zones and PvP because despite the ability to respec skills, attributes and champion points the incorrect racial abilities are holding them back. These people deserve a chance to enjoy the game as much as other players the ones that chose the right race either by doing there homework on forums or luckily guessed correctly.

On a side note this thread has been bumped from March o_O
    Edited by M4YON on August 27, 2015 10:51AM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    M4YON wrote: »
    I am a console player very new to the builds, races and alliances compared to the long standing PC players so upon its release i started the game blind, in other words i knew very little about choosing certain races for a character style. I chose my Sorcerer and my race I picked Dark elf which as it happens isn't that bad but now I've read up on the game a bit more i know that High Elf was what i needed to pick and so i would like the opportunity to race re-roll simply because i can better my character. /quote]

I dunno, a Dunmer sorcerer should do well if using fire damage.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Why don't I recommend this, it's absurd from the Lore point of view, but quite a few people just want to change their race for aesthetics.

So I suggest why not allow us to change races, but force us to keep the passives we were given from our original race?

At least this way you can't just change races because of tweaks to your race.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the fact remains hundreds of new players have chosen incompatible races for there characters and simply cannot function in veteran zones and PvP because despite the ability to respec skills, attributes and champion points the incorrect racial abilities are holding them back.
    That is certainly not "a fact", it really is hyperbole.

One of my chars is a magicka DK Bosmer, race deliberately chosen for story reasons, melting face in PvP and PvE same as with my other magicka DK (who is a Flamespitter Dunmer build). No, the damage numbers are not the same. Yes, races do have an influence. But it is by far not a "cannot function" difference.

I do hope that you will realize what magnitude of wrong that statement is.
  • M4YON
    M4YON
    Leandor wrote: »
    the fact remains hundreds of new players have chosen incompatible races for there characters and simply cannot function in veteran zones and PvP because despite the ability to respec skills, attributes and champion points the incorrect racial abilities are holding them back.

One of my chars is a magicka DK Bosmer, race deliberately chosen for story reasons, melting face in PvP and PvE same as with my other magicka DK (who is a Flamespitter Dunmer build). No, the damage numbers are not the same. Yes, races do have an influence. But it is by far not a "cannot function" difference.

If i was a High Elf i would be more powerful than I currently am, if i, as a Dark elf Sorcerer come up against a High elf Sorcerer i am at a disadvantage because of racial passives that is a fact.

Now i may of over egged the difference it makes but still competitive players such as myself would like the opportunity to correct my mistakes and marginalise the disadvantages.Playstyles, builds vary and make for good different obstacles to overcome but i see nothing wrong with wanting to maximise my builds potential.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

If i was a High Elf i would be more powerful than I currently am, if i, as a Dark elf Sorcerer come up against a High elf Sorcerer i am at a disadvantage because of racial passives that is a fact.

Now i may of over egged the difference it makes but still competitive players such as myself would like the opportunity to correct my mistakes and marginalise the disadvantages.Playstyles, builds vary and make for good different obstacles to overcome but i see nothing wrong with wanting to maximise my builds potential.
    I don't see it. The Altmer has 1% more magicka bonus - not really significant. It is probably compensated by the fact that the Altmer has to invest a bit into stamina where you get a 6% race bonus - here you have a significant advantage on the defense side.

What else? 9% magicka recovery. In a 1v1 situation, most fights are decided within one pool of magicka except for a staged duel situation where both sides are prepared - not your usual situation in Cyrodiil and even less so in IC due to the NPC influence all around.

The Altmer's elemental damage and your flame damage are equal. Force shock is magic damage and not influenced by either, same for crystal frags and mage's wrath.

Explain to me in detail where the Altmer has this significant advantage over Dunmer.

Of course you can pick out other, more severe differences, like Nord vs Altmer, but even in the character creation description, this is clearly mentioned. To blame "inexperience" for choosing a Nord for a sorcerer and then later on complain about what effectively is a "I did not read anything in character creation" issue, is in my opinion not a valid reason for general race change.

EDIT:
    On a side note this thread has been bumped from March o_O
    Ah, godamit, I didn't even realize... Usually I am more aware of necros, so thanks for the heads up.
    Edited by Leandor on August 27, 2015 11:35AM