Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Want to make stamina, ranged sorcerer w/o bow, Possible?

Shadrir
Shadrir
I am lvl 14 Redguard mostly stamina sorc. I love overload. I love shield reflect. I love casting from range. I love silver bolts. I also like being able to protect myslef when melees are on me. I hate bows. I don't like tanking. I have played my sorc as a s/b stamina with some bow until I got overload. Now I mostly cast the curse spell adn knock down spell adn block or use shield reflect until Overload is up. I then mow down everything. rinse and repeat. I am thinking about a stamina build around overload since I get so much stamina as Redguard. Play at range mostly with spells and silver bolt or healer staff until overload is up. Use s/b skill to get extra ult and plan to use passives that decrease cost of an already cheap but powerful ult. Can this work? Can I put some points into magic to make some dmg spells useful? Are there other ranged skills for stamina besides silver bow?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are some ranged stamina skills outside bow-attacks.
    Among them is the undaunted skills inner beast (morph from the magicka based skill inner fire), but it unlocks at level 3 undaunted and at your current level that is far away.
    It is also a taunt, making foes come after you garanteed.

But all in all, they are rare.
    I would like to suggest with such a build to use a melee weapon and not a staff. The weapon has no influence on the skills you can use. So silver bolt works just as fine on a melee weapon as on a staff (but with different passive bonusses). with staff you'll be using skills anyways to be effective, cause you are using stamina and staff attack scales off magicka. So the base attack is worthless anyways. with a melee weapon (or weapons) you have atleast a decent base attack for the melee foes that come after you (though you can still kite them around, when they are close you can hit them).

All in all you are crippling yourself a lot when levelling. However. later one, there are some pretty good stamina based builds using e.g. melee weapons. See for example this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PnyuqXliOQ&feature=youtu.be
    It is mostly depending on things available in endgame, but a good example of how it works.
    Edited by Ranique on August 25, 2015 5:40PM
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Shadrir
    Shadrir
    Thanks for your reply. Your right about the staff. I'm vacillating between magika and stamina since i really want to play Redguard. Honestly though, I don't feel gimped leveling. I have 5 characters and this is my highest level and most fun. Even though it is easier for my other characters becuase I have already completed the quests on this one, I don't feel like they are appreciably more powerful than my stam sorc. Yes, they can do different things better but honestly, with overload up nothing survives. I also can handle multiple mobs a lot better on my sorc than I can on me melee templar and magika templar. My magika NB does fine and my DK is still too low level but he is a beast with staff and dk skillls.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadrir wrote: »
    vacillating

Well I learned a new word today.
  • Shadrir
    Shadrir
    vac·il·late
    ˈvasəˌlāt/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: vacillating
    alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.:)
  • SturgeHammer
    SturgeHammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am lvl 14 Redguard mostly stamina sorc. I love overload. I love shield reflect. I love casting from range. I love silver bolts. I also like being able to protect myslef when melees are on me. I hate bows. I don't like tanking. I have played my sorc as a s/b stamina with some bow until I got overload. Now I mostly cast the curse spell adn knock down spell adn block or use shield reflect until Overload is up. I then mow down everything. rinse and repeat. I am thinking about a stamina build around overload since I get so much stamina as Redguard. Play at range mostly with spells and silver bolt or healer staff until overload is up. Use s/b skill to get extra ult and plan to use passives that decrease cost of an already cheap but powerful ult. Can this work? Can I put some points into magic to make some dmg spells useful? Are there other ranged skills for stamina besides silver bow?

Maybe dual wield and pick up flying blade (ranged Stam attack on Dw tree)?

Edit: Possible Bar set up -
    silver bolts
    streak
    lighting form
    steel tornado
    flying blade

Run evil hunter on your second bar, and something like momentum/surge for weapon damage buff.
    Edited by SturgeHammer on August 25, 2015 7:10PM
    First-in-Line - Swings-for-Lethal
    Green-Thumb - Scale-Factor
    Hist-Tree-Major - A-Late-One
    Needs-Some-Help - Dead-Last
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vac·il·late
    ˈvasəˌlāt/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: vacillating
    alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.:)

Yup, had to look it up when I saw it, but I'm always happy to learn!
  • Shadrir
    Shadrir
    Interesting DW. I thought about it but I'm far away from getting flying blade now. One more level and I get two bars, really three with overload. Can't wait.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to go this route, I'd definitely recommend going dual wield. As mentioned above it does have a ranged stamina-based ability in the skill line (although it will take a while to get access to it), and possibly more importantly it gives you a higher weapon damage stat, so you'll be doing better DPS.

Once you get to level 15 and unlock weapon swapping I'd go with dual wield on one bar, and sword & board on the other. Then you use the dual wield bar as your main bar (when you're not using overload), and swap to sword & board for defense if you end up in melee and in trouble.

Of course, it's way easier to be a ranged stamina build with a bow, but if I was going to do it without one, that's how I would go.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)