Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Does anyone know what's going to happen with the race change ordeal?

Heartless-Zaire
Well since I got the game on console I've wanted a race change but I don't what the producers are going to do. I've heard rumors but I want to hear what everyone or anyone knows. Thanks for your time :smile:
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping for no.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Heartless-Zaire
    why?

• SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I am hoping for no.

So am I.
    why?

I hope for a no because it will ruin the game (IMO)
    For starters, it crucifies immersion taking the 'RP' out of 'RPG'. Secondly, too many players would exploit it. *Gets bow to level 50 as Bosmer, changes to Argonian and works on Resto Staff*
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the no. If you want to do something different, make a new character.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SedoUmbra wrote: »

For starters, it crucifies immersion taking the 'RP' out of 'RPG'. Secondly, too many players would exploit it. *Gets bow to level 50 as Bosmer, changes to Argonian and works on Resto Staff*

Which would cost them the race change and the skill reset and would be more costly than is worth for that small bonus to leveling skills.

As for the Role-playing aspect - Who cares? You? So don't do it. Your right to Role-play doesn't trump the right for someone to change their race.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    The official information that I remember hearing (maybe in a previous ESO Live, can't remember exactly where it was now)basically implied that a race change option was not off the table, but it most likely wouldn't happen until the developers have all the races where they want them in terms of balance (i.e., probably not soon).

If it is implemented, no one knows what it would look like. Some people have suggested that it might be a crown store option. Others guessed that the devs might offer a one time race change option to "fix" characters whose racial passives have changed drastically since launch and are now more suited for different roles.

I am personally against race change abilities (and also class change/alliance change options), because I think that some choices in an MMO should be permanent. Call me "old school" if you want, but I think some decisions should actually matter. I'm am not someone who supports "flavor-of-the-month" builds, and I think that any of the "change" options just contributes to this problem.

That aside, I could support very limited access to change things like race/class/etc. For example (as mentioned above), if the developers were to drastically alter racial passives or class abilities to be far different from what they were originally, I would support a one-time race/class change given to everyone. I could also get behind a race/class change ability once every 6 months to a year. Anything more than that I see as excessive and/or a cash grab on ZOS's part. As far as an alliance change, I think that, if allowed, it should only happen once after a character has completed Cadwell's Gold (and from a lore perspective seen every alliance).

All of the above is just my opinion and ZOS is, of course, under no obligation to follow it. They will ultimately do what they feel is best for the health of the game and the company's bottom line.
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on August 23, 2015 2:23AM
  • Heartless-Zaire
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    The official information that I remember hearing (maybe in a previous ESO Live, can't remember exactly where it was now)basically implied that a race change option was not off the table, but it most likely wouldn't happen until the developers have all the races where they want them in terms of balance (i.e., probably not soon).

If it is implemented, no one knows what it would look like. Some people have suggested that it might be a crown store option. Others guessed that the devs might offer a one time race change option to "fix" characters whose racial passives have changed drastically since launch and are now more suited for different roles.

I am personally against race change abilities (and also class change/alliance change options), because I think that some choices in an MMO should be permanent. Call me "old school" if you want, but I think some decisions should actually matter. I'm am not someone who supports "flavor-of-the-month" builds, and I think that any of the "change" options just contributes to this problem.

That aside, I could support very limited access to change things like race/class/etc. For example (as mentioned above), if the developers were to drastically alter racial passives or class abilities to be far different from what they were originally, I would support a one-time race/class change given to everyone. I could also get behind a race/class change ability once every 6 months to a year. Anything more than that I see as excessive and/or a cash grab on ZOS's part. As far as an alliance change, I think that, if allowed, it should only happen once after a character has completed Cadwell's Gold (and from a lore perspective seen every alliance).

All of the above is just my opinion and ZOS is, of course, under no obligation to follow it. They will ultimately do what they feel is best for the health of the game and the company's bottom line.

I agree with you "I would support a one-time race/class change given to everyone" here but I am a firm believer that many have made mistakes with races and don't have the time ,or the motivation, to make an alt just because of a race because of this a one time race change should definitely be on the table btw are you a nightblade?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you "I would support a one-time race/class change given to everyone" here but I am a firm believer that many have made mistakes with races and don't have the time ,or the motivation, to make an alt just because of a race because of this a one time race change should definitely be on the table btw are you a nightblade?

I have tried a Nightblade, but the playstyle was not my cup of tea. At this point, I really only play my Templar healer.

I can see your point of view about people not having the time or motivation to start a high level character over simply because of their race choice, and I am somewhat sympathetic toward that (especially in cases where the developers have hurt racial passives with their design decisions, i.e. Argonians) -- Which is why I said I would support a one-time race change option or even a paid race change option available once every year (or once every six months).

On the other hand, I do not believe that the choice of race in ESO makes a huge difference to anyone's ability to be successful at endgame (except for extreme min/max'ers running timed/leaderboard content, and these folks typically have time and motivation to start over). There are so many ways to compensate for everything your race choice may have lacked. Because of this, I firmly believe that any ability to change race should be extremely limited (if allowed) and not just a "transform me to the current 'flavor of the month'" button.

Edited by Allyhoo811 on August 23, 2015 6:59PM
  • MerlinGambino
    If you want a new race, make a new character. Shouldn't be able to change race just cause you want to try a different one on the same character. Totally breaks immersion
    MageLife
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally breaks immersion

Explain how it breaks immersion. I want you to actually explain this empty talking point that people keep parroting in argument against race change; and after you're done explaining how it breaks immersion, explain why it matters.
  • CidxLucy
    CidxLucy
    ✭✭
    I am hoping for no.

So am I.
    why?

For starters, it crucifies immersion taking the 'RP' out of 'RPG'. Secondly, too many players would exploit it. *Gets bow to level 50 as Bosmer, changes to Argonian and works on Resto Staff*[/q
    If you want a new race, make a new character. Shouldn't be able to change race just cause you want to try a different one on the same character. Totally breaks immersion

Alot of MMO let you so would eso not? I was thinking of making new character into I got on my horse and remember how slow they can be I not giving up my all 60 which I had put money into to get them higher faster just so I can play a nb I will stay dk into it let me reset my class and race.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Totally breaks immersion

Immersion ... sorry that is an urban myth

especially on a console when all your toons are named as the console log-in ID xxXIRulzYouXxx ... or worse

Immersion is what an individual makes of it, not how others impose their views on others

Race changes WILL happen if ZO thinks it can make a profit from it.
    Edited by OzJohnD on August 24, 2015 11:35PM
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    eNumbra wrote: »
    Totally breaks immersion

Explain how it breaks immersion. I want you to actually explain this empty talking point that people keep parroting in argument against race change; and after you're done explaining how it breaks immersion, explain why it matters.

Immersion ... sorry that is an urban myth

especially on a console when all your toons are named as the console log-in ID xxXIRulzYouXxx ... or worse

Immersion is what an individual makes of it, not how others impose their views on others

Race changes WILL happen if ZO thinks it can make a profit from it.
    You quoted the wrong person.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭

yep thanks --- edited to fix

Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you want immersion ruining, what about all the skeletons just wandering around town and no one giving a damn or big bad orcs that sound like they are 10 years old? immersion is just a myth in this game just like what OzJohnD said.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping for no.

So am I.
    why?

You think people would pay for a race change with actual money, only to level one of many weapons skill lines 15% faster lol? Did you just buy the game or something? That's the fricken' fluff racial passive no one cares about, when picking race.

Heard of training traits on weapon and armor?

Only "immersion" breaking thing about race changes, is the issues related to meta. Where everyone would change to the same race for best synergy with current top builds. That would look a bit dull, when running around in towns.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u want immersion, go drown in a lake. so tired of this imposed crap. go play skyrim, alone,very very very far away, in the woods.