Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Looking for a Templar Tank build (PvE)

SmokeXF
SmokeXF
I have a vet Templar and really enjoy it but I need a new build. I've been using a ranged dps build and really enjoyed it but it's time for something new. With the group I run dungeons with we don't have a tank and I was wondering if there was a good Templar tank build for PvE. Im looking for a proper tank that can taunt a boss and be able to take a hit. Thanks
  • chikswithhorses
    I am a one handed and shield Templar tank. I use either unstoppable under heavy armour or rune of protection under restoring light (I believe). They essentially do the same thing, which is add armour and spell resist, but one costs magick and one stamina. Also the rune stays in the same spot but unstoppable follows you. Rune is essentially free to cast once morphed since it regenerates magick. Point is I would definitely have one of them slotted unless your resistances are already maxed. To taunt I use the first ability under one hand and shield which also lowers spell resist when morphed. To range taunt I use the undaunted one, I think it's the third one down. Just make you don't taunt 3 times in a row without the first taunt ending or else you will lose aggro. Most taunts last 15 seconds. Also note these names are the morphed names. I usually just use a healing spell and dps ability in the other slots.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a one handed and shield Templar tank. I use either unstoppable under heavy armour or rune of protection under restoring light (I believe). They essentially do the same thing, which is add armour and spell resist, but one costs magick and one stamina. Also the rune stays in the same spot but unstoppable follows you. Rune is essentially free to cast once morphed since it regenerates magick. Point is I would definitely have one of them slotted unless your resistances are already maxed. To taunt I use the first ability under one hand and shield which also lowers spell resist when morphed. To range taunt I use the undaunted one, I think it's the third one down. Just make you don't taunt 3 times in a row without the first taunt ending or else you will lose aggro. Most taunts last 15 seconds. Also note these names are the morphed names. I usually just use a healing spell and dps ability in the other slots.

While the rune stays in one spot, the buff to armor/resist will last up to 8 seconds outside the rune. So unless it is a fight with a lot of kiting and moving around, Rune Focus works well. You can dodge roll, move out of the red, etc., and not lose the armor/spell resist. With the changes to stamina coming in a couple weeks, I don't think Immovable will be a good choice any more. Costs too much stamina which will be harder to regen as a tank in Update 7, especially with Templars having weak resource self-sustain. I think Templar tanks will have to conserve stamina as much as possible. Or only run with other Templars, so they can get spear shards thrown to them. :-)
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    SmokeXF wrote: »
    I have a vet Templar and really enjoy it but I need a new build. I've been using a ranged dps build and really enjoyed it but it's time for something new. With the group I run dungeons with we don't have a tank and I was wondering if there was a good Templar tank build for PvE. Im looking for a proper tank that can taunt a boss and be able to take a hit. Thanks

I've had a lot of success with my templar tank build, and since it relies on damage shields I'm hoping this is still a mostly relevant build post IC patch.

I use 1h+s and resto staff, 5pc heavy, 1pc medium, 1pc light (undaunted passive bonus for 3 armor types). Get health up to 25kish, depending on your level, and the rest into magicka. Main priority is magicka regen, not max magicka.

Puncturing Sweep - spam ability, PBAOE and heals myself

Blazing Shield - magicka damage shield, try to keep it up as magicka allows

Spiked Bone Shield - stamina damage shield, something for me to dump stamina in or for encounters where group is getting hit the synergy is incredibly good

Pierce Armor - stamina taunt + debuff

Heroic Slash - straight damage decrease debuff

Repentance - mainly for the slotted regen, but on aoe pulls it's useful to give stamina back and to use that to keep bone shield up so the DPS aren't so squishy, which aoe trash is generally when dps pull agro in groups the most

Channeled Focus - armor + spell resist and regen magicka
    OR (situational)
    Ring of Preservation - reduce damage group wide and +health regen

Radiant Glory - execute, very important to contribute DPS regardless of your class. Most will take oppression for the extra damage, but as a tank I like to be healing myself during the channel so I can burn low health targets down without worrying about heals or damage shields

Breath of Life - heal, in case healer is OOM, dead, or just to help with some burst heals

Generally the idea is for me to stay in 1h+s, debuffing, taunting, and keeping damage shields up which frees up the healer to help DPS as well. When I'm low on magicka and on a potion timer then I swap to resto staff, lay down a channeled focus, do 1 or 2 heavy attacks to get quick magicka back, and swap back to 1h+s.

The damage shields are what's key, they're cost heavy but they protect you, requiring far less healing, and do quite a bit of AOE damage. The rest is a balance of having enough stamina for blocking/taunting/breakouts/dodging but making sure you're using bone shield, pierce armor and heroic slash. Your magicka pool is used to contribute DPS and keep Blazing Shield up, which even as a defensive skill it actually helps DPS out more than anything.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar