Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Folium Discognitum - 2 Skillpoints from Reading

blauschwinge
blauschwinge
✭✭
Update:

Sadly, Zenimax decided to make the Item no longer depositable.
So your Alt will be stuck with the Trophy and would have to use it to get rid of it.

As if it would have been so gamebreaking to add 2 Skillpoints to your Main every 30 levels of an Alt. Makes me sad, but okay, leveling alts has just lost a big part of its appeal. Thank you ZOS.

Heya Community

This thread is about the "Folium Discognitum"

I decided against accepting the book as a reward on my Main character,
but two skillpoints may just be too amazing to pass up permanently,

So this is what I was wondering about, apparently the book is an account-bound trophy, so it might be possible to drop it into the bank with an alt, that has chosen it as a reward and mail it to your main character for reading it there and getting the two skillpoints.

The thing is, could anyone verify if it is possible to do this? They could after all have made it impossible to place in the bank like the CE Map Containers. If it works, could it be an oversight that would be fixed eventually?

The other thing that would be interesting, can you keep sending books from alts to your main character and use the books for an infinite amount of SP (Of course you have to level to around Level 30 everytime I believe to get to Al'akir and access the last mage quest in bangkorai)

Its probably not intended, but I would be overjoyed If I could at least make use of this once to get the book from an Alt for my main character.

If they could make a statement about this, and mark it as intended, I will love leveling the alts later on for this beautiful gift you can send to your main character.

Edited by blauschwinge on August 11, 2014 3:38AM
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The book requires lvl 43 to use, I can test later if you can transfer it to other characters, i am 5 lvl below being able to use it :D
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    That would be awesome. Level requirement would not be a problem when you send it to your main char from an alt. If it works and is not changed, this is an awesome way to get a few more skillpoints and gives leveling alts really nice additional value.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tested it, you can put the book into a bank and can also take it out on another character. But no idea if you can use it more than once per character, I guess that would be unintended since they dont want you to max everything. Since I plan to reroll anyway as soon as the eidetic memory is fixed, I will keep it in bank and see if I can use it twice in due time.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Sure, would be nice if it worked... while you may be able to max out everything then with getting those 2sp increases from the book, I think it is hardly worthwhile to try it as it involves creating, leveling and deleting a lot of alts, though when you level some alts at least it is a nice bonus.

By the way, you think they wont care about people with bugged lore / eidetic and leave them to this unfinishable bugged heap of dung? That would be very cruel of them indeed. I certainly wont start over because of this "feature" thats so broken that it makes you angry for having an impossibly uncompletable list that true masochists with a collecting fetish feel obliged to complete.

This is just an absolutely NONO No Go in an MMO that consumes such an extreme amount of time compared to a single player game which is eventually finished (I replayed Oblivion thrice due to Quest breaking bugs, but finished in just under 500 hours :D
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    Since we are kind of on the topic, can somebody tell me what Shalidor gave? I didn't really understand it, lol.
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RangerChad wrote: »
    Since we are kind of on the topic, can somebody tell me what Shalidor gave? I didn't really understand it, lol.

@RangerChad, Shalidor's Insights allow you to read any book you've ever read in your journal, rather than just the regular 300 lorebooks.
    Now you can read all 2,000, if you discover them first ;)

EDIT: Also @blauschwinge , you might want to change the title of this discussion and put it in a spoiler or something before you make a bunch of people upset.
    Edited by Terminus on April 23, 2014 6:42PM
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! That actually appeals to me more than the 2 skill points lol, I like reading ES lore, and sometimes I don't get time to read the random books I come across. This is cool. :)
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Thanks! That actually appeals to me more than the 2 skill points lol, I like reading ES lore, and sometimes I don't get time to read the random books I come across. This is cool. :)

You get Eidetic Memory regardless of your choice. Plus, you can only find books there that you have at least clicked once at their resting location. But currently EM does not work correctly and causes books to never unlock or lock again even after finding them.
    Edited by blauschwinge on April 23, 2014 6:57PM
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    EDIT: Also @blauschwinge , you might want to change the title of this discussion and put it in a spoiler or something before you make a bunch of people upset.
    What spoiler? that this is one of the rewards?^^

• Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, some people actually take it very seriously.
    Call it something like "Folium Discognitum Potential Abuse" or, I don't know.
    It's like telling people what page Dumbledore died on in the Harry Potter series.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Terminus wrote: »
    It's like telling people what page Dumbledore died on in the Harry Potter series.

Weird people indeed^^ I just delete the location where you get it then from my first post that should do it.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure, would be nice if it worked... while you may be able to max out everything then with getting those 2sp increases from the book, I think it is hardly worthwhile to try it as it involves creating, leveling and deleting a lot of alts, though when you level some alts at least it is a nice bonus.

By the way, you think they wont care about people with bugged lore / eidetic and leave them to this unfinishable bugged heap of dung? That would be very cruel of them indeed. I certainly wont start over because of this "feature" thats so broken that it makes you angry for having an impossibly uncompletable list that true masochists with a collecting fetish feel obliged to complete.

This is just an absolutely NONO No Go in an MMO that consumes such an extreme amount of time compared to a single player game which is eventually finished (I replayed Oblivion thrice due to Quest breaking bugs, but finished in just under 500 hours :D
    I dont mind rerolling. Playing through content is much faster than creating new content, so no matter how often you reroll, it wont make much difference in the long run. For now I just collect resources to help my rerolled char so he can instantly buy all bag upgrades and the 42k mount.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Aye, but if you let the npcs finish their well done voice acting, it takes a bit of time^^ just started out Veteran 1 and already at 8days played with my main char which is some time, also been collecting and completing most maps that werent buggy. Sure, if I skip a lot of quest texts it might be faster later. I am also still raiding heroic in wow 3 times a week, so I can't fully commit myself to ESO atm and have some breaks all the time.
  • rainith2000nub18_ESO

@RangerChad, Shalidor's Insights allow you to read any book you've ever read in your journal, rather than just the regular 300 lorebooks.

Good to know since there is a plugin that will allow you to do this already, I'd go for the skill book. :)
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭

» show previous quotes

Good to know since there is a plugin that will allow you to do this already, I'd go for the skill book. :)
    YOU GET THAT REGARDLESS OF CHOICE
  • rainith2000nub18_ESO

» show previous quotes

Whoa... Calm down. I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought it was either the book you get two skill points for reading or the skill that let you "memorize" all books you come across. No need to shout.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭

» show previous quotes

You seem perturbed.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Sorry for "shouting" it is just that it was already pointed out that shalidors insight aka eidetic memory is always obtained just a bit before my capslocking, I was just a bit perplexed and annoyed that people only seem to care about the very last post when there are no more than 10 on the whole topic. No offense. @Laura: If that makes me perturbed I am really sorry, but it would have been nice to get a useful comment on the subject and not an insult.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumbledore dies??? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • lupusfides
    lupusfides
    Soul Shriven
    I didn't understand at first. Per the Mad God (Like I'd really believe anything he'd say) The Folium is "worth the power and zip of half a dozen skyshards easy." I thought that meant 6 skillpoints, but 6 skyshards would really equal 2 skillpoints... hmm, Valaste, are you worth it?
  • lupusfides
    lupusfides
    Soul Shriven
    Grrr... and of course at lvl 36, the book is completely useless. Valaste is saved!
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Would not say 2SP are useless if you are a Completionist, in fact, they can be quite amazing, especially if it is possible to read the Folium more than once. Saving Valaste is Reward-wise the useless thing, but I did it on my main char, because I am the good guy, wont really care on my Alt-Mules though.
  • murmur
    murmur
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that you can use the second book to get another two skill points.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Great to know, it is a small consolation in regard of the public dungeon group challenge skillpoints that seem to bug out to unobtainability all the time.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Sadly, Zenimax decided to make the Item no longer depositable. So your Alt will be stuck with the Trophy and would have to use it to get rid of it.

As if it would have been so gamebreaking to add 2 Skillpoints to your Main every 30 levels of an Alt. Makes me sad, but okay, leveling my alts has just lost a big part of its appeal. Thank you ZOS.
  • Dantor
    Dantor
    ✭✭
    Sadly, Zenimax decided to make the Item no longer depositable. So your Alt will be stuck with the Trophy and would have to use it to get rid of it.

As if it would have been so gamebreaking to add 2 Skillpoints to your Main every 30 levels of an Alt. Makes me sad, but okay, leveling my alts has just lost a big part of its appeal. Thank you ZOS.

I think it's correct that ZOS fixed this "bug" otherwise everyone would max his/her main char and their would less difference between them.
    Good step, Zenimax!

Sammy, mein alter Freund, ruhe in Frieden!
  • XoXJulietteXoX
    XoXJulietteXoX
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, what is the Folium Discognitum and after reading it, where is it at? I'm just lost and confused, thanks.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, what is the Folium Discognitum and after reading it, where is it at? I'm just lost and confused, thanks.
    @XoXJulietteXoX It's a mystical book created by Sheogorath, filled with insights compiled from the ramblings of madmen. After reading it, you are given 2 Skill Points and it disappears.
    That is the essence of the choice at the end of the Mages Guild questline - you need to choose between 2 Skill Points, or saving Valaste from madness.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp