Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Spell Penetration vs Spell Crit

Draaconis
Draaconis
✭✭
So what is everyone's take on Spell Penetration vs Spell Crit?
  • getmesome2
    getmesome2
    ✭✭
    anyone?
    Conquered Dreams - Aldmeri Dominion - PS4 - PVE/PVP/Trade Guild
    Conquered Dreams Forum
    VR 14 Sorcerer PVP build/DPS/Healer/Tank - 275 skill points - 50/50 in all crafts Campaign - Azura's Star
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Pen >crit no point doing 50% more damage if its mostly nigated by armour
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think crit damage might be mitigated slightly differently to regular damage in terms of physical/spell resistance. Hence the Impenetrable trait..

@Crown ?
    Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    SkylarkAU wrote: »
    I think crit damage might be mitigated slightly differently to regular damage in terms of physical/spell resistance. Hence the Impenetrable trait..

@Crown ?

A crit adds 50% more damage to the totol damage so 1000 becomes 1500 but armour say of 50% will make it 750 damage

Crit resist lowers the 50% before its added so crit resist of 10% will make the totol damage 1400 then 50% armour makes it 700

Hope that helps its what made crit weaker when soft cap got removed
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chevalierknight is correct with regards to the math.

Right now (until patch), Nirn gear mitigates a LOT more magic damage, though in full Impen gear the crits from tornado spammers are doing significantly less damage (when not blocking).

I've been running my old Impen gear for about half the time this past week (while leading in my more survivable builds) to see how it feels, and my survivability (vs the Nirn gear I've been wearing the past few months) is similar. Note that my normal leader build runs 50% magic mitigation even after calculating the 18% penetration from Nirn, 25% from champion points, and 10% from destro staff. That particular build does very low damage, but the point of being a leader is to stay alive and be able to make the calls for your group. A lot of opponents tend to focus me, so when leading it makes the most sense. It's not the most fun set to run (which is why recently I've been in small groups in damage builds), but it is needed at times.

Regarding stacking spell penetration vs spell crit, you have to consider how much magic resist most people will have. I've found that most TEND to run in the area of 25k (my stam DPS build runs 22k, and magic DPS build 27k), which is in the area of 40% mitigation before penetration is calculated.

If you have a Nirn staff, or two Nirn swords (as many magic damage builds go these days), then you're countering a significant amount of that resist to begin with. Add in some champion points (I'm not going to go into how broken some champion trees are right now) and you can melt the average player like a hot knife through butter.

Like everything else there's a balance to be found. If the question was oriented towards champion points, then also consider the points for extra magic damage, and extra fire/elemental damage. They can all add up (depending on what skills you're using).

Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    @chevalierknight is correct with regards to the math.

Right now (until patch), Nirn gear mitigates a LOT more magic damage, though in full Impen gear the crits from tornado spammers are doing significantly less damage (when not blocking).

I've been running my old Impen gear for about half the time this past week (while leading in my more survivable builds) to see how it feels, and my survivability (vs the Nirn gear I've been wearing the past few months) is similar. Note that my normal leader build runs 50% magic mitigation even after calculating the 18% penetration from Nirn, 25% from champion points, and 10% from destro staff. That particular build does very low damage, but the point of being a leader is to stay alive and be able to make the calls for your group. A lot of opponents tend to focus me, so when leading it makes the most sense. It's not the most fun set to run (which is why recently I've been in small groups in damage builds), but it is needed at times.

Regarding stacking spell penetration vs spell crit, you have to consider how much magic resist most people will have. I've found that most TEND to run in the area of 25k (my stam DPS build runs 22k, and magic DPS build 27k), which is in the area of 40% mitigation before penetration is calculated.

If you have a Nirn staff, or two Nirn swords (as many magic damage builds go these days), then you're countering a significant amount of that resist to begin with. Add in some champion points (I'm not going to go into how broken some champion trees are right now) and you can melt the average player like a hot knife through butter.

Like everything else there's a balance to be found. If the question was oriented towards champion points, then also consider the points for extra magic damage, and extra fire/elemental damage. They can all add up (depending on what skills you're using).

Is nirn fixed in pts im thinking of going having my undunted 2 set being pen
    Edited by chevalierknight on August 23, 2015 7:57PM