Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Crafting....finally

Artfuldodger
Artfuldodger
✭✭✭
Got the hang of it!
After weeks of trying to work out how to do it properly I can now make a full armour set. Had some great advise from here on what to do but just never until now actually grasped the finer aspects of it. I am just slow any way which hindered my progression. Posting this in case any newer players have issues, join a guild or ask here for advise.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
-Johnny Depp
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm good for you but may i ask what was so hard for you? It seems to me the system is pretty straightforward.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is something that is quite daunting and complicated when you first look at it. However, once you get the hang of it, it is easy to do.

The most important thing is to start your trait research first, and evenly learn traits on each item you want to make first. In other words, learn the first trait on items before learning the second trait, etc. You can ignore things you don't think you will use at first to make it faster, but you really want to get to 2 or 3 traits ASAP on each item you make and use. Then you can make decent crafted sets and then learn the 4 to 6th traits in order to make some more powerful stuff.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason it was a stumbling block for me, it was the only thing I could not properly grasp. I read and learnt so much information about other aspects of the game here, and have been able to adopt them and put them into practice, but crafting, it was a bit of a nemesis for me. I guess I would compare it to exams, you can learn one subject thoroughly but there is always that one particular subject you have to work that bit harder to achieve. If that makes sense.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Crafting is something that is quite daunting and complicated when you first look at it. However, once you get the hang of it, it is easy to do.

The most important thing is to start your trait research first, and evenly learn traits on each item you want to make first. In other words, learn the first trait on items before learning the second trait, etc. You can ignore things you don't think you will use at first to make it faster, but you really want to get to 2 or 3 traits ASAP on each item you make and use. Then you can make decent crafted sets and then learn the 4 to 6th traits in order to make some more powerful stuff.

With my first Character I failed to do that and ignored the research. I made a new one and began researching like mad, it really was beneficial, I now have a few traits I can easily use. That is a great bit of advise you wrote, thank you.

Adding, I had never played a game like this before I came in blind so to speak when the game was released on console. The in game tutorial is good, I just got a bit lost along the way.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Tamriels_Finest
    sadownik wrote: »
    Uhm good for you but may i ask what was so hard for you? It seems to me the system is pretty straightforward.

I don't understand why you decided to post this. This is a player helping player section, and the OP is only trying to be helpful to those that may have the same issues he did. If you have never played a game like this before, it is VERY overwhelming. I didn't realize to research, which in turn can lead to crafting custom sets, which I didn't know you could do from the start either. If you don't need to be here, then just move along.
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why you decided to post this. This is a player helping player section, and the OP is only trying to be helpful to those that may have the same issues he did. If you have never played a game like this before, it is VERY overwhelming. I didn't realize to research, which in turn can lead to crafting custom sets, which I didn't know you could do from the start either. If you don't need to be here, then just move along.

I just tried to understand what element of crafting was hard - pax, pax no wrong intentions here. And i got my answer although vauge.
  • Tamriels_Finest
    I just tried to understand what element of crafting was hard - pax, pax no wrong intentions here. And i got my answer although vauge.

Ok, well I apologize then. My first impression from your message came across different.
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, well I apologize then. My first impression from your message came across different.

No harm done.
  • ShirleyShine
    ShirleyShine
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor's advice is golden.
    There are so many things I know now that I wish I had known in early game.
    Luckily more by good luck than good judgement, I took all the items I found to the crafting bench before selling and did
    start researching one on each bench.
    What I didn't realise was that I should hang on to all components for improving the items. It would have saved me a ton of
    gold I had to spend on purchasing them later on.

My word of advice to you is that you find 'crafting buddies'. Deconstructing glyphs made by another player give considerable
    more experience and the skill builds faster.
    Also, be on the lookout for items marked 'Intricate' you get a really good boost from deconstructing them.
    I must have sold so many to vendors before I learned their value!
    Now I make a point of either putting them in the Guild stores, or passing them on to people who have not yet mastered a particular craft.

War....war never changes