Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Armour Damage Question

Zephyr01
Zephyr01
✭✭
Is Armour damaged from being hit by an enemy - and dying - or from gaining XP?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I have always heard that you only take armor damage from gaining XP. Dying or being hit by enemies is supposed to have nothing to do with it. Theoretically, you could never die or be hit by enemies and as long as you keep gaining XP your armor would still become damaged.

Note: I have never actually tested this myself. Even though I play on PC, I don't run a lot of add-ons, so I have a hard time testing things like this. But this has been the word on the forums for as long as I can remember (soon after PC launch), and I have never heard anyone contradict it, so I'd say it is most likely true.
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on August 19, 2015 3:11AM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes damage from xp gain only, to make things fair for both healers and tanks alike.
    PC | EU
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    It takes damage from xp gain only, to make things fair for both healers and tanks alike.

This. And I have also heard that it is to prevent less skilled players from constantly having to repair their armor in PvP, especially when they are repeatedly ganked by the same person/group.

• Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    Oh, ok. Thanks for that info. I just thought I saw a box appear the first time I died with something written about dying causing X% of damage to armour. Maybe it was another game.

Again, thanks for that info :-)

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add that it also take damage from dying, sorry. So xp gain and dying are what damage your armour, not actually taking damage. Gear is more durable in cyrodiil cos the expectation is you die more.

PC | EU
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

I should add that it also take damage from dying, sorry. So xp gain and dying are what damage your armour, not actually taking damage. Gear is more durable in cyrodiil cos the expectation is you die more.

Interesting, I have never seen anyone post that before. Learn something new everyday. I've also never seen the screen in game that gave the percentage for armor damage taken upon death. Anyone remember what it is?

I always thought it odd you wouldn't take any extra damage for dying, but I've seen it said so many times that I had taken it as a given. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭

Thanks for confirming that, I didn't think I was seeing things, lol.

• RyuLevone
    RyuLevone
    ✭✭
    I've always known that your armor takes damage when you die, I do it often enough, but I've never seen it give a percentage. It's always just said my armor (or items, not sure which) have lost durability. Then again, I'm playing on Xbox, so it could be different for PC or PS4.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of damage you take from dieing is quite small in the scheme of things.

If you want to see how much, just repair your armor fully, then go jump off a cliff. See what the damage is after.

Now, I have seen Leveling for armor messages come up while in combat and where no enemies have died. So there might be some armor gain from just getting hit. It is a TES mechanic in the Single player games, so it may have been carried over somewhat to this one. However that could also be from a delay in gaining the experience vs seeing the message about the leveling.
    Edited by Nestor on August 19, 2015 2:41PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"