The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is ESO canon?

• Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    I think it is an official spin-off. I doubt that the events of ESO, or anything that happens in ESO, will have an ounce of influence when, or if, BGS ever does a TES 6. TES 6 will be like ESO never happened.

If anything, TES 6 will be after the Skyrim (4th Era), and therefore around a thousand yrs after ESo. And will mostly be focused on how teh Aldmeri Dominion now rules over Tamriel, wich is full of peasants *-insert the 6 other races here-
    And if the previous ES games had merely a mention of the period of ...disturbance that was the later half of the 2nd Era, i see no reason why there would be any need of 'more' information on that.
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • Draghorn
    Draghorn
    Pallmor wrote: »
    ...and how this new game can't be canon because "everyone knows that Khajiit are humans, not actual felines," or whatever.
    (off topic) By the way, I really like that change. ^_^ But I really like anthro characters so...
    Draghorn - The Business Dragon (Platform: NA-PC)
  • BabeestorGor
    BabeestorGor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Canon
    ZOS have said its canon.
    Bethesda advised on lore for the game.
    ZOS and Bethesda are both owned by Zenimax.

Not that that means Bethesda will feel obliged to stick with any of it. Just because something was mentioned in an earlier TES game didn't mean Bethesda wouldn't retcon it in later games.
    Babeester Gor is the Axe Goddess, the Implacable Anger, the Avenging Daughter and the Earth Guardian.
    Vriddi gra-Yildnarz, Dragonknight and Smith
    Myrvanwe, Sorcerer and Enchanter
    Tsajirra, Nightblade and Clothier
    Vilvyni Indarys, Dragonknight and Woodworker
    Arielle Alouette, Templar and Provisioner
    Fishes in Troubled Waters, Nightblade and Alchemist
    Shanika Some Long Title I'd Change If I Could, Templar and Aspirant Jeweller
    Pippi Longhorn, Nightblade, Ne'er-do-well, and "Tribute" character
    EU PC.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canon

That quote was from 2013 before ESO was even released. Of course they are going to say it's canon so Elder Scrolls fans will buy it.
    And this statement remains true until refuted by future lore or official announcements. It hasn't happened yet.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    It's canon, but it's set hundreds of years before Arena and the next game will most likely be set after Skyrim, which if I remember correctly is a few hundred years after Arena.

So it's unlikely to have a big, direct impact. Especially since (like Daggerfall's ending and some of the events discussed in books) it may well be that by then no one in-game really knows what happened for sure and the established version of events may be different to the reality.

Maybe the Alliance War will be seen as all 3 factions trying to save Tamriel from Molag Bal and our characters will have been ordered by their leader to fight him. Maybe the whole thing will be seen as a conspiracy of some sort, maybe (as was the case before ESO) the entire period will be seen as far too chaotic to keep track of and the only important bit will be that (retrospectively) everyone was happy that Tiber Septim came along and ended the fighting.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont know.
    Edited by Volkodav on August 18, 2015 6:08PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Canon
    It's canon.

Lore in the Elder Scrolls is not like other properties. There isn't source material to pull from. Rather each game builds it, and as they come up with new ideas, some retconning will take place. On top of that, the devs want to have the choices players make to impact the world's history. So the timeline is not a simple straight line.

There are many examples, but the best one would have to be the multiple possible endings to TES II: Daggerfall, all of which are canon even the ones that contradict each other.

I will bet you a million gold that TES VI will contain numerous new books referring to the events of ESO. Maybe even the "Chalamo", a book you can currently find in Chalmen keep that tells the tale of a battle fought during the beta.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spin-off
    Here, watch this vid. An interview with Lawrence Schick, lead loremaster of ESO. It will answer all your questions.

https://youtu.be/7D0_q6cfhsE

Go to 1:04:00 and watch the whole interview.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Sadishist wrote: »
    It's a spin-off. The canon Elder Scrolls games are numbered.

Did they make an official statement, or opinion?

Opinion

I do not know what canon means, but I guess it has something to do with following lore and staying connected with other g ames somehow?

Canon means the official, "real" version of events according to the creator/s.

The obvious example is fan fiction which is (almost) never canon. But it can come up in other situations too.

For example if a writer decides to create a short story for their niece with a character based on her and a more light-heated, child friendly theme than their other books, and then they decide to publish it they may justify the change in tone by saying it's not canon.

Or it may be something that happens over time. Long running comics like Batman have entire story arcs and characters who are not considered canon because the entire franchise has been re-worked since then and they aren't considered appropriate for the new version.

In extreme cases it could be something like a writer signs over the rights to make a TV show of their work to someone who doesn't really get it and they hate the end result so much that they declare the entire thing non-canon and may go out of their way to denounce it (such as killing off the shows main character in the books or adding retroactive continuity (retcon) which makes the entire story impossible so they can pretend it never happened.

Of course it can go the other way too. Writers may love a fan fiction character or other unofficial changes enough to make them canon and incorporate them into their own work.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spin-off
    hold on the original Dragon Breaks were reserved for Union Dragons one every two hours with pay. Non union dragons had one every fours hours and no pay for the break.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something can be canon and still completely disregarded going forward. The Star Wars prequels are probably the best example of that.

ESO basically takes place in a swatch of history that was mysterious enough to be interesting but not important enough to impact any stories going forward.
    signing off
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Danikat wrote: »
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    Sadishist wrote: »
    It's a spin-off. The canon Elder Scrolls games are numbered.

Did they make an official statement, or opinion?

Opinion

I do not know what canon means, but I guess it has something to do with following lore and staying connected with other g ames somehow?

Canon means the official, "real" version of events according to the creator/s.

The obvious example is fan fiction which is (almost) never canon. But it can come up in other situations too.

For example if a writer decides to create a short story for their niece with a character based on her and a more light-heated, child friendly theme than their other books, and then they decide to publish it they may justify the change in tone by saying it's not canon.

Or it may be something that happens over time. Long running comics like Batman have entire story arcs and characters who are not considered canon because the entire franchise has been re-worked since then and they aren't considered appropriate for the new version.

In extreme cases it could be something like a writer signs over the rights to make a TV show of their work to someone who doesn't really get it and they hate the end result so much that they declare the entire thing non-canon and may go out of their way to denounce it (such as killing off the shows main character in the books or adding retroactive continuity (retcon) which makes the entire story impossible so they can pretend it never happened.

Of course it can go the other way too. Writers may love a fan fiction character or other unofficial changes enough to make them canon and incorporate them into their own work.
    An interesting situation pertinent to the Elder Scrolls series are writers continuing to write lore after leaving the company. They created the canon in the first place, so who's better qualified to expand it than them? But technically it's fanfiction, even if it still tangibly affects the games in a somewhat unofficial manner.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Is canon, but that's not saying a whole lot in the world full of lore that's canon that conflicts. Remember, even if ESO occurs in a dragon breath that doesn't mean it didn't happen it just means that things changed. Daggerfall had multiple endings all of which are canon.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semi-canon
    No it's not a spin-off it's semi canon Dragon Breaks are canon in the numbered series the sole reason this game can't be Canon are the players themselves. You simply can't have TES series in the same World with ESO:TU. The Black Marsh is a toxic land to non Argonians, but with new Argonia DLC you can't have the land be unknown and traveled by Thousands of Warriors. Much of what they tried to get away with is cause in the Canon TES this point of time is Chaotic and much history was lost. But when people from all the corners of Tamriel go to a land that before hand was unexplored you would keep notes, not recording the revolving door of Emperors is one thing but why would not one single account of the visits to the Marsh be found.

Now with all the random a** mounts in game we are beyond Canon the game has more then Tigers and Horse but recoding the same ones over and over again is just lame. Plus we can't all save the world the Same way up to times on our own accounts and that just be canon. also ALL THE HOLES IN THIS GAMES LORE. I was born in the series play TES since I was Six and the missing/just plain wrong lore make me so sad.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Now with all the random a** mounts in game we are beyond Canon the game has more then Tigers and Horse but recoding the same ones over and over again is just lame. Plus we can't all save the world the Same way up to times on our own accounts and that just be canon. also ALL THE HOLES IN THIS GAMES LORE. I was born in the series play TES since I was Six and the missing/just plain wrong lore make me so sad.

The vestige saved the world. In my game I'm the vestige, you are not. In your game you are the vestige, I am not. This is why mystical mounts makes no sense in the game. Why is some non special adventurer running around on a fire horse? :confused:
    Edited by Gidorick on August 18, 2015 11:31PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this IS just my opinion, then 99.9% of the Internet agrees with me.

Are you TRYING to undermine your own argument?
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semi-canon
    Gidorick wrote: »

The vestige saved the world. In my game I'm the vestige, you are not. In your game you are the vestige, I am not. This is why mystical mounts makes no sense in the game. :confused:

The Vestige like the Dragon Born is the name given to history. I build my name to the NPCs by being that hero of legend and so did you doing the same thing. It's not as if we were all part of the force that took the fight to Cold Harbor as they could have easily done. We all Talked to the Kings and Queen, we all lend the charge, we all stopped a God with the Power of another God. They could have had armies even small ones doing some of this but no it's you vs the World and you win solo. Just like you can do seven more times.

For the King of Argonia
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    The Black Marsh is a toxic land to non Argonians, but with new Argonia DLC you can't have the land be unknown and traveled by Thousands of Warriors.

Toxic? Not so much. Dangerous, and filled with venomous animals who just want to murder the snot out of anything that goes in? Yeah.

So an incredibly dangerous place where traveling alone is a death sentence, even for characters who are already most of the way to being masters of all? Yeah, that sounds about right to me.
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semi-canon
    The air of the Marsh is full of sores from the poisonous plants their, the water has had those plants and animal live and dead into, besides the river that poison just sits their. The land itself is deadly the way in TES lore nobody not even Talos dared to enter the enter land where it's worst. Argonian it other races can't they were not born their and evolved to survive those conditions.

For the King of Argonia
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Canon
    No it's not a spin-off it's semi canon Dragon Breaks are canon in the numbered series the sole reason this game can't be Canon are the players themselves. You simply can't have TES series in the same World with ESO:TU. The Black Marsh is a toxic land to non Argonians, but with new Argonia DLC you can't have the land be unknown and traveled by Thousands of Warriors. Much of what they tried to get away with is cause in the Canon TES this point of time is Chaotic and much history was lost. But when people from all the corners of Tamriel go to a land that before hand was unexplored you would keep notes, not recording the revolving door of Emperors is one thing but why would not one single account of the visits to the Marsh be found.

Only the inner part of Black marsh is toxic to anything non-Argonian why Talos only ruled the outer circle or Black Marsh .... plus he knew the Argonians would slaughter all his troops as soon as they steped foot in the inner circle.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spin-off
    Gidorick wrote: »
    The vestige saved the world. In my game I'm the vestige, you are not. In your game you are the vestige, I am not. This is why mystical mounts makes no sense in the game. Why is some non special adventurer running around on a fire horse? :confused:

This is why MMOs with the player being The Savior of All make no sense.
    Edited by Elsonso on August 19, 2015 12:19AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    The air of the Marsh is full of sores from the poisonous plants their, the water has had those plants and animal live and dead into, besides the river that poison just sits their. The land itself is deadly the way in TES lore nobody not even Talos dared to enter the enter land where it's worst. Argonian it other races can't they were not born their and evolved to survive those conditions.

And Cyrodiil is a jungle.

To say nothing of the running theory that Black Marsh is the setting for TES6.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spin-off
    I know they call it canon but I don't agree with it. How can you explain the main quest retcon of Molag Bal opening gates from his oblivion plane when the dragonfires of Akatosh were still lit at the time? It wasn't until Oblivion that the fires went out and Mehrunes was able to open oblivion gates.
  • Kleptobrainiac
    Kleptobrainiac
    ✭✭✭
    Canon
    giphy.gif
    The artist formerly known as StaticWax.
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Obv not because fans who just benefit from the content should always have more say than the people who created the content that players are enjoying. For example, I don't think Bran's story in A Song of Ice and Fire is canon because it is more fantastical than the rest of the story. I bought the books, so I make the rules. Screw the hippy magic.

So what if Bethesda sanctioned ESO lore? People that created reality-warping Dragon Breaks should certainly be held accountable for the internal logic of their relative Dark Ages.
    Edited by Speely on August 19, 2015 2:51AM
  • WolffenBloodseeker
    WolffenBloodseeker
    ✭✭✭
    Canon
    Vigarr wrote: »
    I know they call it canon but I don't agree with it. How can you explain the main quest retcon of Molag Bal opening gates from his oblivion plane when the dragonfires of Akatosh were still lit at the time? It wasn't until Oblivion that the fires went out and Mehrunes was able to open oblivion gates.

Have you read the story or played the main quest? it's all explained in detail to fit the lore (ESO's loremaster is an awesome guy and he is deep in contact with bethesda's loremasters to always get things right)

The emperor Varen Aquilarius was tricked by Mannimarco and broke the covenant of saint Alessia with akatosh when he tried a ritual with the amulet of kings to force the Time Dragon to bless him as dragonborn to legitimize his rule, this leads to the soulburst and the interregnum that lasts until the rise of Tiber Septim who unites the lands of Tamriel and relight the Dragonfires on the temple of the one as the true dragonborn emperor of tamriel.

Why only Molag Bal invades Tamriel? for the same reason only Dagon invades it during the last days of the third era, create a breach for invasion was HIS plan all the time, he planned it on details, made the moves and when the oportunity rose he was ready with all the war machines and daedric armies he needed, it probably isn't a fast and easy thing to forge hundreds or even thousands of war machines (like the dark anchors who are made in factories in coldharbour), mobilize and train armies, make the right connections and fool the right individuals in Tamriel.
    Edited by WolffenBloodseeker on August 19, 2015 2:54AM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only issue with what you're saying is that we've only landed on the perimeter of Black Marsh anyway. I'd argue that the Vestige would be heroic/championny enough to handle it, even if he weren't an argonian or bosmer.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon
    Just 'cause it's not a numbered title doesn't make it non-canon. Redguard isn't part of the main series, but with its release came the First Edition of the Pocket Guide to the Empire and its environs, which talks about a ton of lore that was later shown in detail with future games. Even things like the Thu'um/shouts of Skyrim were conceptualized back then, in 1998, over 13 years before Skyrim came out. Little things like the trial you take if you join the Stormcloaks (to go out and hunt an Ice wraith) were based off of little things from that. I always thought that was pretty neat.

kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semi-canon
    Vigarr wrote: »

Have you read the story or played the main quest? it's all explained in detail to fit the lore (ESO's loremaster is an awesome guy and he is deep in contact with Bethesda's loremasters to always get things right)

The emperor Varen Aquilarius was tricked by Mannimarco and broke the covenant of saint Alessia with Akatosh when he tried a ritual with the amulet of kings to force the Time Dragon to bless him as Dragonborn to legitimize his rule, this leads to the soulburst and the interregnum that lasts until the rise of Tiber Septim who unites the lands of Tamriel and relight the Dragonfires on the temple of the one as the true Dragonborn emperor of Tamriel.

Why only Molag Bal invades Tamriel? for the same reason only Dagon invades it during the last days of the third era, create a breach for invasion was HIS plan all the time, he planned it on details, made the moves and when the opportunity rose he was ready with all the war machines and daedric armies he needed, it probably isn't a fast and easy thing to forge hundreds or even thousands of war machines (like the dark anchors who are made in factories in Coldharbour), mobilize and train armies, make the right connections and fool the right individuals in Tamriel.

The Main story line is Canon the side quest, mix races in enemy alliances push it and the fact that 100% of the soldiers that take Keeps in Cyrodiil are all the one Vestige. they could have made it more MMO in that regard we can't all be the one person that saved the world solo.

An Dummer army fighting The three living Gods of Morrowind with the Armies of Dominion and Covenant? Bretons and Redguard fighting to take down Daggerfall in Pact and Dominion ranks. Altmer and Bosmer in force with the Pact and Covenant. Trusting one soldier that saved your people okay but whole Armies of enemy races? We can see in nearly all the story line main and side that the three races of each faction loosely trust each other yet the races they fight are just fine?

Also Orcs don't join the Pact Redguard and Bretons sieged their home in the first place. Nord, Dummer and Argonians are seen as more honorable then very recent enemies. Redguards and Orcs hate dark magic, Bretons use Necromancy more then any other race way would they be in this alliance let alone leading it. Nords hate Elves and magic and invaded Morrowmind more then a few times, Dummer hate Nords see invasion and Argonian hate Dummer with no real reason to care about the other side World worst comes to worst they can retreat to the inner workings of the Marsh and live untouched.

And that's the super short one

The only issue with what you're saying is that we've only landed on the perimeter of Black Marsh anyway. I'd argue that the Vestige would be heroic/championy enough to handle it, even if he weren't an Argonian or Bosmer.

No matter how heroic you are Poison is Poison a Nord could break Mountains with his hammer and poison sores would still keep him. Being brave enough to enter the inner March and surviving is two completely different things.

For the King of Argonia
  • icontested
    icontested
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are Ice Princess ponies, and soon to be undead goat pets and pumpkin head costumes in the crown store. Now what do you think? Of course it's not canon. It's a spin-off cash grab. The actual Elder Scrolls games are numbered in series, and ESO is not a part of that series.

I can't figure you out.. Some posts you defend this game and some posts you sound angry. I'm only asking out of being interested in your answer. But, why the defend/bash flip flop?
    Voted and Current reigning champion of most handsome ESO player of 2013-2016