The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

A Ghost: The way an Assassin should be. (Simple Nightblade build class but effective)

Zero_Umbra
Zero_Umbra
Soul Shriven
I have seen class after class of night blade builds (some good and some bad). But with the night blade (especially a dps like me) it can get yourself in bind trying to figure which skills should go where and which one does more damage and so and so until you pull your hair out. I thought I would just post what I have learned and see if other people agree. I would like to make some notes. This a ever evolving class like I believe ever class should whether your a tank, healer, dps, and crowd control, etc. (If you never evolve and grow then you might as well be dead. Things change deal with it.) The second and probably one of the more important notes some of you probably agree is this class is at a VETERAN 2 as of the is post. So this class will probably change a little more (not much I am pretty comfortable with my build so far, but there are one or two more skills i wouldn't mind trying and testing (for pvp mostly ) on my own to see how affective they are to me. (Which is the most important aspect of any mmo in my opinion especially Elder Scrolls game, play how you want and screw what others think.) I will not be discussing armor or traits pacifically because like I said VET 2 and that will change and attributes change depending on play style although I will touch no this a bit mainly what works for me. Okay now that the formalities are out of the way lets get started. (I plan on making a discussion later and if one is not already pacific talking about all the typical night blade dps skills, but that is for another time.)

Server: PS4 NA

Class: Night Blade

Race: Dark Elf (Vampire)

Role: DPS and Crowd control

Primary Attributes: Stamina (and a bit of Magicka)

Armor: 5 Medium, 2 Light (never cared for helmets and the shoulders on some are just unusual to me.)

Primary Weapon: Dueling Daggers

Primary Skills:

1. Ambush
2. Killer's Blade
3. Surprise Attack
4. Dark Cloak
5. Mass Hysteria
U. Incapacitating Strikes

Secondary Weapon: Bow

Secondary Skills:

1. Elusive Mist
2. Focused Aim
3. Dark Shades
4. Venom Arrow
5. Magnum Shot
U. Devouring Swarm

Alternative Skills: (Have but switch to in certain situations like group, pvp, bosses, etc.)

1. Piercing Mark
2. Arrow Barrage
3. Bombard

This as you can see a pretty simple class build (which to me are some of the most powerful rogue and dps type builds). Now I will explain some of the decisions I made and why I did not choose some the more popular skills that seem everyone seems to say get. The first thing is you will probably notice is this class mostly deals with single targets (for some reason some people seem to think that night blades can't take on groups. For dps'ers like me can be true to SOME extent but that is not your job leave that to the tanks, okay) which is part of the illusion and allure. Now the primary weapons and skills is design for one thing: single target lockdown and assassination.

To most and me would agree the Dark Cloak and Surprise Attack are just too efficient and hard hitting of a combo and to me one of the best in the game. Not to mention Surprise Attack 's armor reduction. I love the fact that Dark Cloak removes DOT effects because as a dps and vampire (fire hurts) it can be a lifesaver especially when combined with Elusive Mist. Dark Cloak, Surprise Attack, death. Enough said.

This is the same for Killer’s Blade. A 300% increase on a stamina-based skill is just an awesome kill move plus the healing is certainly a perk. Now for the other two skills are for utility to complement the others.

Ambush is a great way to move around a field of battle and also to lock down a enemy if can't quite stealth away (pvp and group dungeons for example) and gives just a small bit of time to make your next move whether to escape or to get a better tactical position or just keep enemy for doing a attack.

This the same for the ultimate in this skill set which is Incapacitating Strikes . This will deal a fair bit of damage to a single target but also knock down most enemies (aside from bosses and large creatures, used your head people, but) and gives you extra damage (Major Defile) against the enemy for about 6 seconds. (He should be dead by then or almost anyway.)

Now for Mass Hysteria. This skill can seem a little benign but actually to me is one most cool and effective skills especially there are not a lot skills that causes fear that i am aware of aside from maybe mages or specialized skills like the werewolf line, although I have to admit I am not 100% sure on how many skill lines have this ability. Let me know. Anyway, I use this to separate groups and focus on target at a time. But this skill also afflicts them with Minor maim which reduces their attack by 15% and reduces there speed as well. Come on give credit where credit is due on a skill that doesn't do any actual damage okay. It just seems like this skill is overlooked a bit too much, sad. But to each his own I suppose. Now that i have discussed the benefits of each skill, let me explain them as a whole.

There are countless ways to combo these skills together. Going to stealth first without using Dark Cloak (save the magicka for the fight, unless needed) Surprise Attack will kill most npc's right off, if not then will certainly nearly kill them and then you follow up with Killer’s Blade . If you have to deal with a group pop Mass Hysteria to separate them and focus on the one. Use Ambush to get to there others or to an enemy across the field and then hit with Surprise Attack . With the 20% boost in attack and high critical (talk about this in a sec) it won't matter that you are not stealth the hit will be very effective. I usually will spam Surprise Attack because of the low cost and damage (or potential damage, crit wink wink) it can have.

Now as for criticals. I am not going to go into the countless ways you can up your critical because they’re really that many way. (For example, medium armor skills, potions, assassination skill line, crafted sets, etc.) Just pretty much what ever will help get your critical skill and weapon damage up. As you can see this set can be quite effective and I have not even mention the fact that Dark Cloak will remove up to 4 DOT's (just in case) or the benefits of having Incapacitating Strikes in the mix. The ultimate in this group can be use for a damage boost for an enemy that is taking a little longer or just to know him (or her) down to get away or get some distance for my other skill set. And since I have mentioned it.....

Let's move on to the secondary set. The second set used as many roles for me. This set has an alternative set of skills that way I can switch these sets depending the situation or style of play I am in the mood for. I will usually keep this set the way it is for just explore and npc's and bosses ironically. But when it comes to group dungeons and pvp, the alternatives sometimes allow for better dps'ing and crowd control, which is what I believe my job, is. Now lets discuss these skills and what there usefulness is (to me at least).

Focused Aim is the one of the best bow abilities to me for one simple reason. Distance. That is what bow is for and this skill to me is the pinnacle in that class. Not only does it have a fair amount of damage, but this skill also marks the target (just in case you might lose track,lol), but also what this mark does is extend the range of ANY bow skill for a short time. Which means you can keep an enemy at distance that cannot even reach you as most skills i have seen cannot even reach you. The slight armor reduction is really not to me worth too much it is just a nice bonus for the skill. It does however have its drawbacks, more on that in a moment.

Venom Arrow is another really skill that does poison damage and does an additional amount of poison damage over 10 seconds. More importantly useful as a utility skill for groups or pvp (or even by yourself) as it interrupts most enemy magic casting (aside from a few bosses, but has work on some mini bosses, have to test for yourself to see which ones it works on) spells and knocking them off balance and with about a half charge heavy attack will knock them down for a bit.

The Magnum Shot is a pure straightforward physical ability that knocks enemies back 6 meters and also causes you to get knock back 6 meters. It will leave the enemy disoriented for 5 seconds as long as you don't attack the enemy or is useful for a follow up attack. I find this skill particularly useful against bosses that pull you in or try to run up on you.

Dark Shades is really the only pet spell for night blades and both its morphs (the other being Shadow Image) have their uses. I went with this one because this set usually used for when I am grouping or if I am fighting a crowd. I will cover that later. The main reason is with all the stamina-based abilities have I really thought that I needed a magical based ability to balance things out. This skill to me best at supporting group because not does the 2 shades do a moderate amount of damage of a fairly long span of time but they also cause Minor Maim cause the enemies to reduce the damage they do by 15%, which is good for any group.

Now for the odd man out, Elusive Mist. Come on, Vampire, mist, okay. No. All right I guess I will explain some good reasons. The fact is 75% damage reduction on any skill to me is worth having on the bar, but the bonus with this one is the speed boost it gives to get out of the way of whatever is shooting you. This skill has save my life more times than I can count from bosses. As someone who does not have a focus on health this truly can be a lifesaver. I have not found a boss yet that a powerful enough ability yet to be able to get past it. (Most bosses seemed to have a least one powerful attack that is either hard to avoid or cannot be avoid at all will kill most.) Did I mention the fact that it makes you immune to control effects (not remove them). Even if a enemy does catches you or stops you, unless you are absolute stunned or do not have the stamina to break free, activate this will keep you from further control effect but also lets you withstand most damage that would cause in the time they have you.

The alternatives in this group (or as for piercing mark can be used to replace one in the primary weapons) is simply to be able to as a dps and crowd control better help out a group or by yourself dealing with slightly larger groups if you are by your lonesome in somewhere where larger than normal groups are located typically. (Craglorn anyone?) Bombard is by almost unanimously one of the best weapons skills there is. (At least for what I can tell from all the discussions, and experience) It does great AOE damage and roots multiple enemies in place and reduces enemies’ movement after they start moving again. Could you really ask for more in a skill. (Well you probably could, but don't be greedy) It has multiple uses from helping group keep from being surround to just stopping groups so you can make an escape to get away. Whatever the need might be. Now as far as barrage as goes it is probably one of the most straightforward AOE's in the game. Does physical damage over a large area for about 10 seconds. Can be cast multiple times giving the relative low cost of AOE's in my opinion. Great for supporting groups or just getting some extra damage while taking on enemies or bosses alone.

Devouring Swarm is just to me an awesome ultimate. As a vamp it does healing, AOE damage, and has a cool animation effect. Decent cost. I couldn't be happier with an ultimate especially on this bar for distance. Use on crowds to help finish them or just doing some extra damage, may be just in need of some quick health.

Now I think these two sets (and might have convince you slightly) are powerful and wonderful within themselves. The best magic (as with any good build) is not when they are by themselves, but when combined. The combos and combinations that you can do with these depending on the situation are constrained your attribute limits. ( I know obviously you cannot do more than your attributes will allow, but that was the point,lol) You can sneak, kill, run, hide. You can ambush with arrows and have the shades run with you as your enemies or rooted to the ground with arrows while at the same time having them flying all around them seeing ghost cut through ranks one by one. They may never see the person that kills them. All they hear is the slight whistling of an arrow on to see it through their heart never knowing who shot it. (Dramatic, I know, but you get the point.)

I know there are probably other abilities that may work a little better. For instance if not a Vampire, Shuffle from the medium armor skill line would definitely be a more than enough replacement (20% percent dodge increase and removes snares not to mention cool animation effect, yeah). The Lethal Arrow and Draining Shot are good alternate morphs as well. Lethal Arrow definitely has it use against bosses. The Concealed Weapon can certainly make you faster while stealth if you prefer. I am not saying that these are any other are not better, these just personally work for my play style and me.

I did want to make a quick note about why there is no actual duel wielding skills in my sets. (Aside from that last perk to help critical) I do not use them because they really did fit with my play style and I found similar effects with the bow so I did not feel I really needed them and did not find I cared for them in my build. With that said if you are more aggressive player and maybe have the health and fortitude to withstand a little more punishment I would definitely look in this skill line for a dps build. One of the favorites especially in pvp is the Steel Tornado partly because you can hit a large area with descent AOE damage at a low cost and partly because it is a good way to keep a stealth player from running away and sneaking up on you. Like I said take look and see if one of them fit better.

Now I bit on race and character itself. I chose to be a dark elf because I have always like the dark elves in most fantasy games especially in the Elder Scrolls games. But more importantly I find their racial skills to be a fair balance of my playing style. I know the Kahjit and Bosmer are more effective at stealth and bows respectively, but again this race fits my play style as it gives me a boost in stamina and magicka. This is the same reason for being a Vampire. I have played as Vampire in Elder Scrolls ever since I could. I like the abilities, perks and the added role-play into my game. The other active ability for the Vampire skill line, Invigorating Drain, I found to be very useful a lower levels, but as I leveled up and my stamina begin more and more to out scale my magicka, it became less and less useful. However if you want an alternate to one of the skills in both set really and have the magicka to do make worth it, it can be a good magicka dump in my opinion because it refills both health and stamina and allows to keep attacking.

I know this was kind of a long one and I wish I had the actual numbers, but there are so many factors in that I am not sure at this point if I could give them with any degree of accuracy. I may be able to add and be more pacific later on. I hope found this interesting or at least gave just a little more information along the millions of discussions about builds that you might sift through.
Edited by Zero_Umbra on August 16, 2015 5:05AM
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Its so simple its cookie cutter

And drop killers blade people have 20k health 25% is 1250 just use supprise attack and slot something usefull
    Edited by chevalierknight on August 16, 2015 8:05AM
    Options
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭

And drop killers blade people have 20k health 25% is 1250 just use supprise attack and slot something usefull

25% of 20k is 5k bro.
    Options
  • Zero_Umbra
    Zero_Umbra
    Soul Shriven

Well this why I said that there is is one or two abilities I still want test out in the build. Something that would give me that little extra edge over my opponents. But I really have not found anything suitable to my play style. Killer's blade still seems useful to me but I am only VET 2 so this may still change. I actual thought about replacing it with hidden blade since one of the perks in duel wield does the same thing ( ups damage at low health) but I can still maintain a decent amount of damage without having to have a enemy at low health. What do you think?
    Options
  • Zero_Umbra
    Zero_Umbra
    Soul Shriven
    It is a cookie cutter really, which is the kinda I guess is the point. The reason cookie cutters are what they are is because there effective. However when playing in groups and pvp the cookie cutters build greatest strength is also its greatest weakness to me. They can be the most use and because other players know how to counter it. ( or at least will learn it shortly) But with that said I often find more in VET levels are any mom really that it isn't the skills of the build but the skills of the player that come into play. A creative player can still use a cookie cutter build quite effectively and better than a player who has design a more elaborate build can not use their skills effectively. I do not disaggree with this being a cookie cutter build, it just may turn out to be the most effective build for me (or someone else) in this particular game. But it is still early on in the game even on the pc for an mmo so this build will change more likely. I just don't think we should dismiss simple builds simply because they are not elaborate enough. Thx for the input so far guys. I hope it will continue. I am curious about what other people think about simple builds like this and if they should dismiss because of their simplicity.
    Edited by Zero_Umbra on August 16, 2015 11:35AM
    Options