Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

New with a few questions (Xbox One)

Nyro87
Nyro87
I just got this game with Xbox one and I got the ESO plus just for kicks. However I have a few questions.

1. How important are builds in this game? They seem pretty basic and not too deep so I thought I would ask before messing anything up by chance.

2. Are alliance wars fun? That is really what sounded the most fun to me.

3. Is there a specific pattern of quests I should follow to maximize my leveling experience or is it pretty much "grab/do every quests you can find"?

4. Whats the best way to find a Xbox One guild?

5. Been thinking of trying a dual-wield Nightblade assassination build....is this viable in PvP and would Dagger/Dagger or Dagger/Sword be more efficient?

I have many other questions but I figured this would help me get started lol.
  • cinnamonbooty
    I can answer 2 with a bit of certainty...

3.) I think the best pattern (for me anyways) was completing all quests that were available in certain areas before moving on (tedious but you can also find great gear and gain valuable experience). You'll notice, if you're interested in storyline or lore, that a lot of the quests in a given area (IE Stonefalls/Shadowfen/Eastmarch) are somehow interconnected, usually by the current power struggle taking place.

4.) there are lots of guilds to choose from, and lots of places to look, but I would suggest checking forums first to see who is looking for people/what kind of guilds are out there.
    Another option is to visit the main cities (Mournhold/Stormhold/Windhelm) and hang around the wayshrines, as I frequently see/talk with players who are very helpful there.
    Cinnamon
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    1. Most builds will work fairly successfully for solo leveling content. However, a good deal of thought is needed for a successful endgame PvE or PvP build. You can't mess your build up. If you make a choice you do not like you have the ability to respec your skillpoints and do something different (for a gold fee, of course).
    2. Alliance Wars are fun if you enjoy large scale PvP. If you do not like fighting (and losing) to other players, then it probably wouldn't be fun. You also need to have a pretty decent internet connection for big battles to be fun (at least on PC and I would assume on console also), because lag can be an issue. Heck, lag is often an issue with an amazing internet connection.
    3. There is no specific pattern of quests you should do to maximize leveling. However, you must do the main story quest (i.e. prophet) and certain parts of your alliance story in order to be able to travel to the other alliance's zones at Vet Level. I also recommend doing the mage's guild and fighter's guild storylines.
    4. Using the guild recruitment section of the forums (scroll all the way to the bottom of the forum homepage to find the one for your platform/server)
    5. Dual-wield Nightblades are very successful in PvP. However, they tend to be a build that relies primarily on bringing an enemy down quickly from stealth. If they aren't able to get a quick kill, they are often easy to beat.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. How important are builds in this game? They seem pretty basic and not too deep so I thought I would ask before messing anything up by chance.

Overall, single choices you make for a build don't matter as much as in other games. But cause of the amount of variables you got, there is a huge amount of room and making a difference. I personally find this game the hardest to make guilds. the main reason is that min-maxing doesn't work. Too many variables and none are decisive.

Overall I can say that only a few builds in ESO are not good. The most are viable. The trick is to find those builds that have great synergy for the task and role ahead.

builds are less important cause non truly stands out, but getting one with good synergy is daunting and min-maxing doesn't work.
    2. Are alliance wars fun? That is really what sounded the most fun to me.
    Maybe...It is not my cup of tea, but I've never been into pvp much.
    3. Is there a specific pattern of quests I should follow to maximize my leveling experience or is it pretty much "grab/do every quests you can find"?

There are ways to bypass all quests available, and it is quicker to level up. but as said at question one. There are so many variables when it comes to builds, you likely will never stick to a single one. You want to be versatile and able to change quickly. Quests are the main source of skillpoints. So you want to do them all. With that in mind, the sequence doesn't matter a lot as long as they are for 5 levels above or below your level. If you do quests above your level you will gain more xp, and below you will gain less. But it is capped. So if you do quests 10 levels above your own level, you will miss a lot of potential xp. the best way is just do all quests you can find and not move on untill you have completed a map. That way you will get the most skillpoints and although you might be too high of a level for the next map, any difference will be cancelled out cause you gain less xp.
    4. Whats the best way to find a Xbox One guild?

North America guilds on xbox: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-xbox-one-na
    EU guilds on Xbox: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-xbox-one-eu
    5. Been thinking of trying a dual-wield Nightblade assassination build....is this viable in PvP and would Dagger/Dagger or Dagger/Sword be more efficient?

Dual wield nightblade is good. I do suggest you also use your secondary weapon slot. NB's in pvp are good for hiding and hiting without being seen. This is better when ranged. bow is your pick for that. there is not much different between D/D and D/S. as said, there are a lot more variables to a build. This is one of the lesser differences.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU