Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Vampire quest

ThretZ-92
ThretZ-92
So I just went to do the vampire quest and the enemies were level 38
But I see a lot of players are lvl 8 and are vampires.
Is there a way to complete the quest at a low level?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes there is a way, although level 8 is a bit low and somewhat challenging.

the foes are all melee range foes with very low health (for level 38). You got vampire skills that are scaled inside there to level 38.

So use them and inbetween kite them around. Having a ranged weapon to do some damage while kiting helps a lot. Take your time and don't panic and you can do it!
    Edited by Ranique on August 9, 2015 8:11PM
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why the vampire and werewolf gifts are picked up normally in a 40+ zone ?
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    I facerolled the vamp quest on my lvl 20 DK Fire Mage, and I semi-kinda-sorta "facerolled" it on my lvl 12 Sorcerer.

Depending on your class/role/weapon choice, it can be fairly easily completed at a low level. Casters and ranged characters will have a much easier time than melee users. Like a previous poster mentioned, while your abilities don't scale to the enemies' level, the vampire ones do scale.

On my lvl 12 Sorc, I just summoned my Volatile Familiar, hit the enemy with the vampire Drain ability, and kept my distance. My staff and class abilities barely tickled the enemies, but my little summoned friend packed quite the punch, especially when he died and exploded. I probably could've attempted the quest at like lvl 10, maybe even 8, and I still wouldn't have had much of an issue; it took me about 45 minutes, tops. My lvl 20 DK Mage just used the Drain ability and then spammed heavy fire staff attacks plus the Destructive Reach ability (which routinely caused a knock-back and kept me at a safe distance). Skills that stun/knock-back/immobilize enemies are very useful if you can get them to proc (which becomes easier at higher levels--my Sorc's Crystal Frags would rarely hit, likely due to the extreme level difference). Stacking up on health a bit and consuming some food/drink that raises HP + stamina and/or magicka prior to engaging helps too.

If you go to YouTube, you can find videos of lvl 4s and lvl 7s tackling the quest by using a kiting strategy involving some stairs; this is probably how most of the lvl 8 vamps you see running around completed the quest. I personally didn't find it necessary to use the stairs strategy on either of my vampires; as long you are able to keep your distance, you can just pick off the enemies one at a time and not have to wait for the ones by the stairs to respawn.

I'd say a "safe" level for really anyone to attempt the quest is about 15, give or take a few levels. It's really not that bad, and at 15, you have access to weapon-swapping, which is nice. If you can't seem to do it at your level, you can always leave, level up a bit more, stack up on some health, grab some better gear, pick up some food/drink boosts, and go back to try again. Distance and patience are key.
  • ThretZ-92
    ThretZ-92
    Oh ok thanks everyone
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    I wonder why the vampire and werewolf gifts are picked up normally in a 40+ zone ?

Cause they are no gifts, but disseases. They also add dynamics to builds. So it is actually better to have it later on and know the basics bout your build first. It is not something you must do, but it is an option.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU