The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Campaign Guesting

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Campaign guesting is a serious problem in that it's a really bad system. I play on console and have made a lot of great friends who love to PvP, but they are homed to many different campaigns. I continually get locked out of playing with them because I can only change guest every 24 hours. Why is guesting necessary? Why can't we just play as guest to any campaign we want?

• FilthyMudcrabs
    FilthyMudcrabs
    ✭✭✭
    One of the people inside the campaign could invite you to join their group. Once you do, you could travel to them and be inside their campaign without actually making it your guest campaign. I was playing Haderus as my guest and was invited to Blackwater Blade. I teleported to the leader, got into Blackwater Blade and Haderus was still listed as my guest.
    Saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.
    Options
  • Bezilar
    One of the people inside the campaign could invite you to join their group. Once you do, you could travel to them and be inside their campaign without actually making it your guest campaign. I was playing Haderus as my guest and was invited to Blackwater Blade. I teleported to the leader, got into Blackwater Blade and Haderus was still listed as my guest.

I think they are changing that option, no?
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this works, but only if their campaign is not full. If it's full (which it usually is), then we can't enter the queue because it's not our home/guest campaign. Hopefully they do make meaningful changes to this wacky system.
    Options
  • FilthyMudcrabs
    FilthyMudcrabs
    ✭✭✭

I think they are changing that option, no?

Hope they don't remove it - It's nice not being limited to two places.
    Solariken wrote: »

Yes, this works, but only if their campaign is not full. If it's full (which it usually is), then we can't enter the queue because it's not our home/guest campaign. Hopefully they do make meaningful changes to this wacky system.

Ah, I didn't realize that. Yes, this system could use a change for sure!

Saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.
    Options
  • Valindor Magnus
    Valindor Magnus
    ✭✭✭
    Campaign guesting is a serious problem in that it's a really bad system. I play on console and have made a lot of great friends who love to PvP, but they are homed to many different campaigns. I continually get locked out of playing with them because I can only change guest every 24 hours. Why is guesting necessary? Why can't we just play as guest to any campaign we want?

this is done for several reasons, i cant name the specific reasons ZOS chose to do this but just from thinking about it if you could play in any campaign you wanted then what would be the point of capturing keeps or scrolls at all? i realize a lot of ppl dont care about the campaign itself and just want to pvp so hopefully when imperial city comes out and we get the option to rechoose your home and guest campaign yall can choose the same ones and play in imperial city :D
    Vehemence
    Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    In the upcoming Imperial City patch we have disabled the ability to use “Jump to Group leader” in PVP Zones however we have not disabled the ability to queue with group mates via the Campaign Queue’ing system. This means if player A is assigned to Haderus and player B is assigned to Chillrend and they are grouped, they can queue to join the others Home assignment. They cannot join each other’s Guest assignment however. A lot of feedback and concerns have been mentioned about getting stuck in a campaign that you might not want to be in, and this change is partially to address that.

The main brunt of this change however is still focused on removing the bypassing queues or gaming the queue system of campaign assignment which “Jump to group leader” got around in odd cases. Joining your group mate’s Home assigned Campaigns via the Queue will be in place for the Imperial City patch along with disabling “Jump to group leader” to see how the effects on Campaign health and population go. Couple this with the Campaign rule changes and introduction of Imperial City, we hope to see better Campaign attachment and overall competitive play increased.

As a reminder, when this patch goes live, we intend to give all players a free home Campaign reassignment so you can choose which Campaigns to join with the new rule-sets.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Options
    Staff Post
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So in other words: large zerging guilds can move freely from campaign to campaign (usings alts to handle the group queueing) thus still bypassing the restriction. Cool! Wow what an awesome design choice!
    Edited by MisterBigglesworth on August 5, 2015 5:58PM
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
    Options
  • SturgeHammer
    SturgeHammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the upcoming Imperial City patch we have disabled the ability to use “Jump to Group leader” in PVP Zones however we have not disabled the ability to queue with group mates via the Campaign Queue’ing system. This means if player A is assigned to Haderus and player B is assigned to Chillrend and they are grouped, they can queue to join the others Home assignment. They cannot join each other’s Guest assignment however. A lot of feedback and concerns have been mentioned about getting stuck in a campaign that you might not want to be in, and this change is partially to address that.

The main brunt of this change however is still focused on removing the bypassing queues or gaming the queue system of campaign assignment which “Jump to group leader” got around in odd cases. Joining your group mate’s Home assigned Campaigns via the Queue will be in place for the Imperial City patch along with disabling “Jump to group leader” to see how the effects on Campaign health and population go. Couple this with the Campaign rule changes and introduction of Imperial City, we hope to see better Campaign attachment and overall competitive play increased.

As a reminder, when this patch goes live, we intend to give all players a free home Campaign reassignment so you can choose which Campaigns to join with the new rule-sets.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler, let's say a Player 1 is homed on Haderus and a Player 2 is homed on Haderus on an opposing alliance. 2 wants to play with 1, so 2 logs onto an alt on the same alliance as 1 that is not homed on Haderus and joins 1's group. 1 then queues up the group to join the fight in Haderus. Will queuing in this fashion allow 2 to bypass the opposing-alliance-same-campaign restriction?
    Edited by SturgeHammer on August 5, 2015 6:42PM
    First-in-Line - Swings-for-Lethal
    Green-Thumb - Scale-Factor
    Hist-Tree-Major - A-Late-One
    Needs-Some-Help - Dead-Last
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So in other words: large zerging guilds can move freely from campaign to campaign (usings alts to handle the group queueing) thus still bypassing the restriction. Cool! Wow what an awesome design choice!

You seem to be under the impression there is an easy solution that pleases everybody. Just go ahead and lock everyone in to a miserable campaign with lags, zergs, horrible population imbalances, etc., that they cannot leave and watch what happens. You know, I hear a lot of good things about the new Skyforged game...
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ook.. so.. now I really am confused. What did you guys really change then to help prevent the roaming zergs?

All that changed with this release was that I cant travel to a guildie/friend who I am not grouped with. As soon as my AD zerg guild gets bored in IC and wants to block access to IC for EP and DC, we have two guildies home in each campaign. We make them group leaders of each of the two 24man zergs. We all queue up to their home campaign and over-run their campaign, taking inner ring and driving the other factions back to gate. Wash, rinse and repeat on the next campaign. The same as right now. Except, with IC, they cant get into the Imperial City.
    Edited by Darlgon on August 6, 2015 2:23AM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler How about a compromise to the jumping? The roaming zergs is something everybody dreads. Why not limit the amount of AP or TVs the jumper gets? If you're not in your Home campaign OR your Guest Campaign you get a 50% reduction to AP and TV. This would still allow players who really want to play with their friends to continue to do so, but would also really detract the Portable Zerg Mentality(tm) that plagues PVP servers as they are.

I play Thornblade a lot, and AD's usually pretty dead there. Even the questing towns (Bruma, Chey, Chorral) are all empty. EP's outright non-existent. But every so often these massive groups of 20-30 people hop on whenever DC takes so much as a single resource to drive us out. Talking to the AD, they're all hopping from server to server. Yes, they're homed on Thorn, but only jump back when they need to defend. Otherwise, some of the groups roam from server to server looking for fights and following the money (AP).
    Edited by Preyfar on August 6, 2015 4:50PM
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler Ok.. random thought just went thru my head. It may not be a good idea, because its late and I should be in bed, but throwing it out there anyway. You guys already penalize things like Bolt Escape and roll-dodging with a sliding scale. How about penalizing campaign jumping the same way. First jump, no pause, Second, 30 min cool-down. Third, hour cooldown. Fourth, 2 hour cooldown. Etc.After all. it SHOULD take more than an hour to flip a campaign. Right?
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What about having multiple toons in the same campaign in different factions, this is one of the problems also, this still seems to promote large zerg travels I think any kind of movement que will be abused sad but true..:( Hopefully it will work better than it seems. :)

You not locked into any campaign, as a poster stated, you can change guest or home, yes it does cost AP and you might have to wait for a couple of days, but there is still options to leave a bad campaign.
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on August 7, 2015 12:58PM
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could someone in simple language explain to me why, when I (for the first time in months) try to play in Cyrodiil, the PvP non-vet 5 day campaign is locked to one of my characters because another character is allegedly "already in it".

???

It's been way more than 5 days. Why is that other character (I'm not even sure who it would be) still in that campaign? How do I get them out - without spending AP since I don't PvP and pretty much don't have any.

I've looked on the "help" menus, but I don't really understand it.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    We have been working on getting the ability to have multiple characters on accounts from different Alliances allowed to play in the same Campaign, but no ETA on when that will go live.

Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of good discussion here, but Mr. Wheeler please keep in mind that my OP was born of two frustrations:

1. I want to be able to PvP right away, not wait 2-3 hours in a queue during prime time.
    2. I want to play with my friends.

I care more about those two things than policing the roaming zerg monster or any of the other issues raised. I think you are right that the IC content will help a lot, but I hope you prioritize those two things in future design.
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have been working on getting the ability to have multiple characters on accounts from different Alliances allowed to play in the same Campaign, but no ETA on when that will go live.

Whoot. Let the Emp farming begin again in earnest. Get my EP guild to crown my EP, then swap to my AD char and get my AD guild crown him to replace the other.
    Edited by Darlgon on August 7, 2015 1:59PM
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If changes such as this are coming, I don't understand why you would on the other end try to restrict free movement between campaigns.
    Options
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL why even change any of it then? Is it so arcane that 2 people in a guild home or guest different servers so the whole guild's blob can farm wherever the lowest hanging fruit is? How about you just get rid of 2 empty campaigns instead? They are just going to be AD PVE farms anyway.
    Edited by AhPook_Is_Here on August 7, 2015 2:21PM
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
    Options
  • Reb
    Reb
    ✭✭✭

:s terrible idea ..really

Options
  • CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, what I'm reading is:

Nothing is really changing.

Way to go...
    Options
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch. Yeah.

I'd like the guest campaign concept to be removed actually. The more "invested" people will find a way to get into campaigns they want anyway, so why not just make it easy for everyone to guest. This will especially help folks who're trying to find decent pops and action during non-peak hours.
    Disabling the grass may improve performance.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of good discussion here, but Mr. Wheeler please keep in mind that my OP was born of two frustrations:

1. I want to be able to PvP right away, not wait 2-3 hours in a queue during prime time.
    2. I want to play with my friends.

I care more about those two things than policing the roaming zerg monster or any of the other issues raised. I think you are right that the IC content will help a lot, but I hope you prioritize those two things in future design.

You have hit the target with that comment.

I play ESO because with friends moving out of state we can't effectively share live RPG

AND

We love the ES universe.

If we can't effectively play with friends, the main motivation for playing is gone. And just to be clear, between my husband and myself we have 4 subbed accounts.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    And just to be clear, between my husband and myself we have 4 subbed accounts.

Wow. Zeni ought to thank you. :-)

Options
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol really? What? So your changing nothing?
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

Options
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be SO happy.
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Could someone in simple language explain to me why, when I (for the first time in months) try to play in Cyrodiil, the PvP non-vet 5 day campaign is locked to one of my characters because another character is allegedly "already in it".

???

It's been way more than 5 days. Why is that other character (I'm not even sure who it would be) still in that campaign? How do I get them out - without spending AP since I don't PvP and pretty much don't have any.

I've looked on the "help" menus, but I don't really understand it.

Characters are not removed from a campaign when it ends. The scoreboard on your non vet campaign resets every 5 days, but any character assigned that a their home campaign will remain there cycle after cycle after cycle. There is no current option to remove a toon from a campaign.

Your only options are to select a different home campaign (paying the necessary AP), or level the toon in question to vet ranks, which will remove it from non-vet campaigns. When the IC update is delivere, everybody's campaigns selections will be reset, so you also have the option of just waiting until then.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    If changes such as this are coming, I don't understand why you would on the other end try to restrict free movement between campaigns.

Because there are no easy solutions that will appeal to everyone. If Zeni makes PvP access too restrictive, then people with multiple high level characters they care about are going to be frustrated that they can't play them. If Zeni makes PvP access too loose, then people who think it encourages Zerging and spying will be frustrated.

They are just trying to find the right balance.
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 8, 2015 7:01AM
    Options
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

Because there are no easy solutions that will appeal to everyone. If Zeni makes PvP access too restrictive, then people with multiple high level characters they care about are going to be frustrated that they can't play them. If Zeni makes PvP access too loose, then people who think it encourages Zerging and spying will be frustrated.

They are just trying to find the right balance.

I'm of the mind that zerging and spying are natural results of this game's play-any-faction design and will always happen, so it only makes sense to "err" on the side of loose access, essentially meaning equal access.

Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Characters are not removed from a campaign when it ends. The scoreboard on your non vet campaign resets every 5 days, but any character assigned that a their home campaign will remain there cycle after cycle after cycle. There is no current option to remove a toon from a campaign.

Your only options are to select a different home campaign (paying the necessary AP), or level the toon in question to vet ranks, which will remove it from non-vet campaigns. When the IC update is delivere, everybody's campaigns selections will be reset, so you also have the option of just waiting until then.

I have only one character in a "home" campaign, everyone else picked "guest". So does "guest" never 'wear out'?
    Options