The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Help with a Templar Build?

Swanne
Swanne
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the MMO system here, so I've got quite a few questions on what I should do with my character. I main on an Imperial Templar who is currently VR1, so I have at least some knowledge of the game so far. However, I've been pretty confused as to what kind of build I'd like to turn him into, as I plan on doing PvP seriously at some point in the future. First and foremost, I'd like to know if I could effectively utilize One-Handed and Shield as my primary weapon on my first bar; I only ask this because I've seen many threads saying One-Handed is a waste of time when it comes to PvP, as it makes battles longer and more complicated. At any rate, next comes my concerns on basing my build on either magicka or stamina; while I love the Templar skills of Aedric Spear and Dawn's Wrath for their damage capabilities, I still want to remain relatively weapon based. I also enjoy using the Restoring Light tree, as I love survivability in combat situations. Yet these are heavy in Magicka cost for the most part, and I really don't care for the Light armor as my main form of defense; I'd much rather wear mostly medium or heavy armor, while integrating a couple light armor pieces in at the most.

I know I may sound a bit ignorant or clueless, but I'm somewhat new to this experience and I'd like to see if I could get into it a little deeper. I appreciate any and all advice or tips, thanks in advance!
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of people use sword and shield in pvp, it's very strong and highly recommended for Templars. I myself would use dual wield on my Templar, but there must be a reason why people recommend sword and shield over it

And no matter if you run Magicka or Stamina, Biting Jabs (can't remember the base name of that) will be your breed and butter as a Templar, using weapon abilities is of minor importance. Jabs will be your main damage ability.
    The benefits of being a Magicka Templar is, that you have very strong self heals, a strong ranged execute and you can perfectly play ranged or melee. Also, Ecplise is a very very mean ability... if you time it right with your burst, you can get easy kills. But you are slower and people with Harness Magicka will give you some issues. However, this is a balanced choice overall, as you can easily be a healer in AvA and dungeons if you don't want to solo all the time (which I assume is the case)

As a stamina Templar, you have very strong biting jabs, you are faster as you can roll dodge a lot and you are tankier in my opinion. Another benefit is, that Harness Magicka won't be a problem for you. All the people I've talked to, said that Stamina Templar is much stronger. I don't enjoy stamina gameplay (except for Nightblades) so Stamina Templar is a bit boring for me. But I know more overpowered stamina Templars and basically no Magicka Templars.
    Edited by Dracane on August 4, 2015 12:52AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Swanne
    Swanne
    Appreciate the advice! The magicka Templar you described sounds pretty nice, however I feel like the Stamina Templar would suit me more (just basing on what you said). I'm a little worried that if I go a mainly Medium or Heavy armored Templar, I won't have enough of a Magicka reserve to still dish out some damage and heal occasionally. Would this still be possible on a Stamina build such as described?
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swanne wrote: »
    Appreciate the advice! The magicka Templar you described sounds pretty nice, however I feel like the Stamina Templar would suit me more (just basing on what you said). I'm a little worried that if I go a mainly Medium or Heavy armored Templar, I won't have enough of a Magicka reserve to still dish out some damage and heal occasionally. Would this still be possible on a Stamina build such as described?

It will be possible.
    But you don't need Magicka for damage if you decide to play a stamina Templar. But if you don't have Vigor, which I'm sure you don't, you will rely on your own Magicka heals. This is a problem, as they are weak thanks to your low Magicka pool and you cannot cast many of them. But Vigor will be available on rank 5 in Assault and Support next patch. You can reach that quite fast, so don't be worried.

Ecplise is just as mighty for stamina Templar. Imagine you time it right and reflect a Sorcerer Crystal shard back at him followed by your biting jab. It's a deadly tactic.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Swanne
    Swanne
    If I did decide to do a Magicka Tenplar, would I pretty much need to wear mostly Light Armor in order to really be able to do anything? If not, then I'll probably go with a Stamina Templar, but then that leaves me to decide between picking medium armor for weapon damage, or Heavy for more protection and a slight boon to health regen...
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take the Health regen boon O.o health regen is too weak, unless you don't exaggerate and stack it up to over 2000 health regen, which is hard and impossible unless you are the wrong race/class.
    And you should always wear 5 pieces of one armor, or you sacrifise too much usefullness. If you wear 5 pieces of light armor, you have a reasonable amount of spell cost reduction and you will have spell penetration and 10% spell crit and you can only unlock this, as long as you wear 5 pieces of light armor.

Same goes to any other armor basically. Always wear at least 5, the rest is up to you
    Edited by Dracane on August 4, 2015 9:12AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Swanne
    Swanne
    Thanks! I'm still a little partial to either having a stamina build or Magicka build, but now I at least know how to armor myself if I decide on one. Appreciate the info and advice, once again thanks so much!
    Options
  • texassob
    texassob
    ✭✭✭
    I was dumb when I started my character and made a redguard Templar but ran a magicka/vamp build. I did this till I was vet5 and and had good success in pve questing and most dungeons. I just fully respected to a full stamina build and my dps and crits have went up so much! Although my health is lower my dps is a lot better and I can deff notice a diff in pve and pvp. Im running 5 med 2 heavy with DW/bow atm. im happy so far.
    Options
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    The majority of people use sword and shield in pvp, it's very strong and highly recommended for Templars. I myself would use dual wield on my Templar, but there must be a reason why people recommend sword and shield over it

And no matter if you run Magicka or Stamina, Biting Jabs (can't remember the base name of that) will be your breed and butter as a Templar, using weapon abilities is of minor importance. Jabs will be your main damage ability.
    The benefits of being a Magicka Templar is, that you have very strong self heals, a strong ranged execute and you can perfectly play ranged or melee. Also, Ecplise is a very very mean ability... if you time it right with your burst, you can get easy kills. But you are slower and people with Harness Magicka will give you some issues. However, this is a balanced choice overall, as you can easily be a healer in AvA and dungeons if you don't want to solo all the time (which I assume is the case)

As a stamina Templar, you have very strong biting jabs, you are faster as you can roll dodge a lot and you are tankier in my opinion. Another benefit is, that Harness Magicka won't be a problem for you. All the people I've talked to, said that Stamina Templar is much stronger. I don't enjoy stamina gameplay (except for Nightblades) so Stamina Templar is a bit boring for me. But I know more overpowered stamina Templars and basically no Magicka Templars.

Sword and board for survivability and sturdy ness, dw is definitely op but way Glasscanon without vamp or vigor (i would go dw if i had one or the either because of the survivabilty), i don't have either and have great success with S&B /medium build, it lacks AoE, but prevents you being rolled at times in a 1v1 scenario!

Right now magika templar jabs are being mitigated hharshly by nirn, but the stamina drain utility is there forsure. Magika templar has a ton of utility and overall fun to play!

Suru
    Options