Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

am i supposed to fight bosses and quest at higher levels than I am

churningchunda
I am a nightblade redgaurd altmeri dominion. Since level 9 I have finished all the final starter island quests and moved on to mainland tamriel. In persuit of a vampire bite i have started fighting in valenwood and my current level is 12 doing level 40 ish quests. Some take many attempts and a few ive had to give up on. Many of my friends fight enemys their level constantly.What should I do and am I doing this wrong? (Ps I level up so much faster than them)
  • churningchunda
    Also add my psn:tremourz69 if you can give me a vampire bite. Thanks
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll find that you are capable of doing many higher level things. First comes the bosses, then you solo your first dolmen, then you solo your first public dungeon, then you solo a vet dungeon and become a god. Just remember that you will get diminished or no xp if you fight stuff that is too high level. ;)

This game really focuses you on questing and is becoming more withdrawn from the sandbox that was Elder Scrolls with each patch. I would say that you should go to Grahtwood now and level there.
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no problem bout doing content above your level, but make sure you understand the risks and cons.

1: when you do stuff above your level you gain more xp. This is capped at +6 levels btw. So at your level it doesn't matter if you do level 18 or level 40 stuff. The xp gained is exactly the same. This also means you make big leaps and find yourself overlevelled alot when you decide to do the things you've skipped.

2: when doing content, you will find a lot of quests that gives skillpoints. So you either have to choose to miss them out or to go back and find yourself way to overlevelled and steamrolling through the content to get them. It will be very boring to do so. As skillpoints are important for a lot of things you never can have enough.

So it is up to you. Just wanted to make sure you know the cons and risks.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you are at the high end of levels for zone 1, and you are actually in ... zone 3? No, wait ... zone 4.

Kudos for still being alive. You have skipped a LOT.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It's completely up to you, if you enjoy the challenge go for it, but know that eventually you might want to go back and complete the quests that reward skill points and they'll be gray to you if you outleveled them. Doing it your way is going to take much longer to level up in the long run, if your goal is simply to both have a challenge and level quickly, and obvious you don't mind skipping content, then I'd recommend you grind mobs several levels above you and do all skill point quests before they turn gray.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • churningchunda
    Thanks guys, i am now level 20 odd and have recently realised that I hadnt done any of the prophets quests. Luckily they scaled to my level but they are still childs play compared to the quests I have been doing
  • churningchunda
    I advise anyone viewin this to stay within around 5 levels when doing quests as you can miss out on some great weapons and armour that comes from quests
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    So you are at the high end of levels for zone 1, and you are actually in ... zone 3? No, wait ... zone 4.

Kudos for still being alive. You have skipped a LOT.
    He's staying alive most likely because he's coat-tailing from a more leveled player, one-shot hitting the enemy to get a claim, then letting others do the work while he reaps exp because he's too impatient to play the game.

Personally, I don't really care if someone wants to cheese their game due to their poor patient skills, but they should at least take 10 seconds out of their selfish time to see how others are playing the area. NBs, such as myself, thrive off crit hit bonuses from stealth, but when these players fire off their bow or magical stick, all bets are off for a crit sneak attack.

At this point, I just stand idle (and it's a good way to determine if they're players looking for leads) and wait until they are away from me.

Now, I may be accusatory for the OP to be doing this, and if it's NOT one of these players, then kudos are in order. But if he's like 90% of the rest of the low level players in 40+ areas... yeah. Go back to the island and let us who have earned their level and perks to play the game as they have been.

Edited by Violynne on July 31, 2015 3:54PM
  • mia_pow
    mia_pow
    ✭✭
    What about back tracking, after finishing the main story quest going back and doing missed quests? For example vet 3 doing missed quests in Grahtwood, is there any experience awarded for completing?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    mia_pow wrote: »
    What about back tracking, after finishing the main story quest going back and doing missed quests? For example vet 3 doing missed quests in Grahtwood, is there any experience awarded for completing?

You still get experience for completing the quests (even if you are above level); however, you will not get XP or loot from mob kills. You will also still receive the quest reward, but it will not be your level.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Since level 9 I have finished all the final starter island quests and moved on to mainland tamriel. .. my current level is 12 doing level 40 ish quests.
    You most certainly didn't. I'm guessing you skipped Kenarthi's Roost and ran through Auridon skipping most of the content there.

If you had progressed normally, including taking the ship to the actual starter island, you would be around level 17 by the time you're done with Auridon.
    :smile:
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a character in AD who came out of Cold Harbor at 4, did the starter island and about 1/3 of Auridon, then I was working on other characters so she was just doing writs for a while. Then at 10, I wanted to play with a friend who was vet, so she went to Cyrodiil for a bit, and is now 14. Seriously overleveled to finish Auridon, but hey, I'll still get quest XP.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ... Since level 9 I have finished all the final starter island quests and moved on to mainland tamriel. .. my current level is 12 doing level 40 ish quests.
    You most certainly didn't. I'm guessing you skipped Kenarthi's Roost and ran through Auridon skipping most of the content there.

If you had progressed normally, including taking the ship to the actual starter island, you would be around level 17 by the time you're done with Auridon.
    :smile:

I was 19 when I left auridon and think I may have skipped 1-2 quests and thought man I really need to go to the next area because the monsters are such a low lvl.