The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How many crafting profession is wort to have?

Uri
Uri
I don't know if is wort to have a profession to gear you up at endgame. I am focusing on leveling only blacksmith right now. Is really wort to have at least one main? Or you should level more (like alchemy, enchanting, provisioning) Is really necessary/wort to invest a lot of skill points in every profession (or focus in one) or just the minimum to craft high tier items?

Last question: Do you have any advantage like special souldbound items for crafters only or you can sell/transfer even the highest tier of gears?
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have maxed ever crafting skill on my main (and finished all research)
    Alchemy is worth having on you main and all alts for the 'Medicinal Use' passive
    Provisioning is worth having on you main and all alts for the Hireling passive as the 'purple' ingredients are hard to get.

So yes max out alchemy and provisioning, the rest is optional.

And no, there is no special soulbound crafted items. Everything that a crafter can make, can be brought by a non crafter.

Once you get near end game, you will have over 277 skill points, so you can have one toon have all crafting skills and still more then enough to have all the normal skills you want. But while your leveling, don't put too much into crafting, except alchemy and provisioning.
    Edited by Natjur on May 7, 2015 12:19AM
  • Wyietsayon
    Wyietsayon
    ✭✭✭
    Provisioning and Alchemy are great ones to have, because dropped stuff is pretty terrible in comparison to those crafted ones. Enchanting is good too, because that's a lot of good bonuses to your crafted armors and weapons. Then I'd craft whatever major thing armor you use, either Clothing or Blacksmithing. And don't forget your weapon, which is Blacksmithing or Woodworking.

So, yeah, depending on your build, you may need all the crafts, or might be able to get away with only most of them. You can use alts, but obviously they need to have skillpoints to put into those skill lines, so they will need to run around getting skyshards, or just leveling like normal.

And your last question is confusing. Soulbound? Are you asking if things you craft are bound to your account only? Well, no, like other armor, they become bound only after you wear them. So, you could craft whatever set and sell it in the store. Not many people would buy that though. They usually need too specific of things, and will just go straight to the crafter.
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Soulbound" is an old WoW term, meaning that as soon as you loot/create an item, it is bound to that single character and can't be traded or sold.

But echo the other responses here: No, there is nothing that you can't get from someone else, and the crafted gear (depending on what role/PvE or PvP) are actually quite good.

Again, Alchemy and Provisioning are awesome and pretty easy to level, the rest of the professions can be leveled by deconstructing items you don't want that you get while leveling your character, then decide later on if you wish to invest skill points in those professions. My only additional recommendation if you go this route is to pick up the passives that increase your chance of getting materials from deconstructed items, it can be a lifesaver if you decide to deconstruct a lot of blue or purple items :smile:
  • Uri
    Uri
    Thanks for your answers!

One last question, there is any useless skill in crafting or you should (if you can) invest in most of them?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uri wrote: »
    Thanks for your answers!

One last question, there is any useless skill in crafting or you should (if you can) invest in most of them?
    No skill is useless IMO, though if you're short on points at some time then those that extend consumable usage time (eg. the Provisioning ones that extend by 5 mins or so) are likely candidates to ignore till you have more SPs than you know what to do with. Also, the 'keen eye' skills are perfectly fine left at level 1, again till you have points you can toss into them without noticing.

Also, there's no useful purpose served by leveling any craft above 40 since that's the last level at which you get to unlock a skill/upgrade. Getting one or more to 50 is only for the achievements, craft level plays no part of any results of crafting or hireling rewards.
    Edited by KerinKor on May 7, 2015 12:58PM
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    Just put points into extraction and research for everything.

Deconstruct all your drops that aren't set pieces or have the extra gold trait, after researching whatever you can.

You'll max all crafts by the time you're VR14 just deconstructing stuff and have tons of mats to sell or craft with.

Once you're far enough along to have some additional points in crafting, choose one craft to level up and make all you'll need anytime soon, like provisioning, and burn up all your mats to make room in your bank. Once you have what you need respec and pick a different craft and different weapons and skills to level up.

You'll have enough time to level all your skills by endgame if you don't just use the same abilities all the way even when they're not advancing anymore, it's way easier to do it while leveling than at end game and keeps the game from getting so repetitive.

A planned respec for each weapon line and craft to recover points pays off pretty well in my experience.

This way you'll also learn how stuff you don't use often works, which is useful in pvp and in group pve.
  • golfer.dub17_ESO
    golfer.dub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning is profitable. Doesn't require a lot of special items or time to learn, and food is always in high demand.

Any form of weapon or armor creation isn't really profitable. You will dump hundreds of thousands of gold into these crafts to research all the traits (which you need to make special set-gear) and learn all the styles, as well as obtaining the materials and tempers. In the end no one will want to pay for it because they have guildmates ready to make them stuff for free, or they have randoms willing to sell them stuff for dirt cheap because everyone and their brother decided to be a blacksmith. Weapon and Armor creation is a giant gold sink.

Enchanting is nice for three reasons.
    1. Doesn't require any special research or knowledge, just time.
    2. Can be somewhat profitable.
    3. Lets you customize your own gear.

Alchemy is so-so. Certain potions sell for a lot, others don't sell for much at all. The materials are generally difficult to obtain, hence why certain potions sell for so much. Making money with alchemy requires a significant investment of money, so it's not really a beginner craft.

TLDR:
    Consumables - Good way to make money, requires little investment, always in demand.
    Gear - Little demand, requires a ton of time and money to get proficient at, doesn't give much in return.
    Edited by golfer.dub17_ESO on May 8, 2015 3:52AM
  • Uri
    Uri
    To have an idea about how many craft skill I can get according to what combat skills I want.

How many skills point do you have normally at level 50? And how many at level vr14? Not the max, just a normal number doing most part of content without farming
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you get a SP for every level. There are 16 Skyshards per zone, each 3 gives a SP, then there are the quests that reward an SP

See this for the quest list

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/30/eso-quests-guide/

Note, it does not have the EP quests, but you get the same number of skill points for each alliance (or should) so just assume the EP gives the same amount as the others.

Remember, you normally only do the one alliance getting to L50, so keep that in mind.

Bottom Line, your going to be able to effectively skill up two crafting professions fully and remain deadly and versatile by L50. You can do more crafting than this for sure, but your going to give up combat prowess or not be able to fully spec out a craft. However, I think by L50 you may have enough points to turn them into a pure crafter in all the lines (no combat/defense skills or passives other than crafting passives)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a general rule, in the pre-veteran levels, I would use level-up and quest SPs for my combat skills and use skyshard SPs for my crafting skills. Not all SS SPs went into crafting, but it was a way for me to not put as many points into crafting in the early stages.

Also, you can forego things like Keen Eye and the passives that allow you to make more than one of something (in Alchemy and Provisioning). You can even get away with not having hirelings. Those will save you a lot of points in the early game.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to do all crafts (and it's really not a bad idea - being self sufficient is great, and it's nice to be able to help out friends and guildies by making them stuff), I would suggest doing the following:

Do the equipment skills (blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing) on your main. Level them up as you go by deconstructing everything you loot from mobs. Only put skill points into the Metalworking/Tailoring/Woodworking passives as needed to craft the appropriate material for your level (ie. if your main can only wear steel armour, don't upgrade your skill beyond steel yet).

Roll an alt (or more than one if you like - I've got these skills split between a couple of alts personally) to do the consumables skills (alchemy, provisioning, enchanting). Level the alts just enough to get the skill points you need so that their skills keep pace with your main, and they can keep supplying your main with level-appropriate consumables. Grabbing sky shards is a great way to get these skill points without having to spend too much time actually playing these alts if you don't really want to spend much time on them.

By doing it this way, your main won't be so starved for skill points as you're leveling, and your consumables-crafting alts can keep the mats for their crafts in their bags, thus freeing up bag space on your main, and bank space.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Sestar
    Sestar
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I spread the crafting skills like this:
    • 1st character: clothing / blacksmithing / woodworking - (Chracter is v1 now, ~137 skill points)
    • 2nd character: provisioning (Character is level 11, and can cook / brew everything with the 4x efficiency)
    • 3rd character: enchanting / alchemy (Character is level 14, and still needs some skillpoints for crafting)

For the 1st character I put the regular materials into the bank, but keep traits, style and upgrade stuff on the character.
    The other 2 chacters have all their crafting stuff.

Your primary source for materials is deconstruction!
    For the 1st character I only have crafting tier skills + research + break appart + easy upgrading; right now I am specced OUT of hireling and keen eyes. Those skills are not useless, but I needed the skillpoints and you can do without these skills.

Regards,
    Sestar
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Uri wrote: »
    Thanks for your answers!

Also, there's no useful purpose served by leveling any craft above 40 since that's the last level at which you get to unlock a skill/upgrade. Getting one or more to 50 is only for the achievements, craft level plays no part of any results of crafting or hireling rewards.

This is an incorrect statement Both Provisioning and Alchemy require level 50 to unlock all passives.

Passive skill unlock levels are contained in my sheet. See link in sig...

OP Also keep in mind that for the hard crafts Blacksmithing/Clothier/Woodworking all require motif's to learn all styles. So du to rarity and/or cost of some of them they may be better to lump them together on one toon.
    Edited by Tallowby on May 12, 2015 6:12PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Ibstronk
    Ibstronk
    Yinmaigao wrote: »
    "Soulbound" is an old WoW term, meaning that as soon as you loot/create an item, it is bound to that single character and can't be traded or sold.

But echo the other responses here: No, there is nothing that you can't get from someone else, and the crafted gear (depending on what role/PvE or PvP) are actually quite good.

Again, Alchemy and Provisioning are awesome and pretty easy to level, the rest of the professions can be leveled by deconstructing items you don't want that you get while leveling your character, then decide later on if you wish to invest skill points in those professions. My only additional recommendation if you go this route is to pick up the passives that increase your chance of getting materials from deconstructed items, it can be a lifesaver if you decide to deconstruct a lot of blue or purple items :smile:

There are two different Soulbound though. Bound on equip and bound on pickup. Atleast in wow, not sure in ESO :)

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ibstronk wrote: »
    Yinmaigao wrote: »

There are two different Soulbound though. Bound on equip and bound on pickup. Atleast in wow, not sure in ESO :)

There are indeed two "Soulbound" in ESO - bind on pickup and bind on equip. However, both of them still allow for trading between alternate characters on the same account, thus you can put these in the bank for an alt.