Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to survive as a bow-weilding DK?

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
I feel like I'm not living my full potential as a DK, but I want to use a bow. So far I got it to Level 11, but I'm getting very, very frustrated with enemies always seeming stronger than me (even though they're at or below my level).
I'm a Level 17 DK, and I'm just trying to get my bow skills up. And it's just getting really hard. Could use advice.

Also, should/can I be using my Draconic powers, even with a bow? I wonder if this is what's screwing me over. I'm relying on my bow's abilities. I have Poison Arrow and Volley unlocked.
Edited by Benie on August 2, 2015 3:38AM
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    You can use skills from any of the DK trees on your bow ability bar, don't feel limited to just using bow skills :)

What specifically is giving you problems with the enemies you face? Is it hard to keep them at range? Is it taking to long to kill them? Something else?

What is your normal rotation?
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    My normal rotation is basically "shoot with bow until enemy dies, trying to keep said enemy away from myself".
    My main issue is dealing with multiple enemies (especially surprise attacks). I tried to use CC on them as much as I can (though I'm not sure if I should go with Talons or Stonefist).
    I'm also running out of both Stamina and Magicka quite quickly. So that's a problem.

• Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Benie wrote: »
    My normal rotation is basically "shoot with bow until enemy dies, trying to keep said enemy away from myself".
    My main issue is dealing with multiple enemies (especially surprise attacks). I tried to use CC on them as much as I can (though I'm not sure if I should go with Talons or Stonefist).
    I'm also running out of both Stamina and Magicka quite quickly. So that's a problem.

When it come to being a bowman Bombard is your best friend. It hits multiple targets, reduces their movement speed and immobilizes them for a short time. And if you were to combine it with an AoE attack like Scorched Earth or Cinder Storm... well, that's just funny.

For stamina management you could try enchanting your weapon with stamina absorbing runes and taking the Green Dragon Blood ability. Also you may want to look into the medium armor tree. It has passives that provide cost reduction on stamina based abilities and improved stamina regeneration. Along as many others that you could benefit from as a bowman.
    Edited by Fruitmass on August 2, 2015 6:59AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open up with a sneak attack from behind them. Especially in groups, this will help reduce their number by one quickly. But at level 11, you might not have your best abilities for this combo yet. Your Dragonknight abilities at this level are mostly melee-ranged, so you won't have a lot of support there yet. Once you get a bit higher, this combo will work out better. Bombard is a highly useful skill, so make sure that you are using a bow with the training trait on it until you unlock that.
  • mistermutiny89
    mistermutiny89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At level 11 you will always be low on resources and sadly the dk isn't the best class for kiting as we don't get movement speed buffs. As others said try bombard from the arrow spray morph and also get magnum shot as soon as you can for that extra distance from your enemy. When you are low on stamina use a fully charged heavy attack. You'll gain about 5 per cent of your stamina back. Opening combat from behind with a fully charged heavy attack in stealth does much more damage than other bow abilities too. However in groups bombard can stealth attack too.

Poison arrow and its morphs are very important too. One morph can be a great execute dealing more damage to lower health targets and the other interrupts charged spells and those annoying throwing daggers melee enemies love to throw. It's cheap and casts much quicker than any other bow ability.

As for other damage issues bow light attacks are incredibly weak but getting a buff in next patch. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use them til then though as each light attack gives you ultimate and bows in my experience actually generate ultimate faster than any other weapon when used correctly.

My imperial dk is currently using bombard, magnum shot, fossilize (petrify), fiery breath (Stam morph for enemy armour debuff and snare) and poison arrow for now. But snipe is where you see the real damage is when animation cancelled properly. Unfortunately this build isn't great for me yet as I've put all my points into health to create a tank. If you're after dps you will want something that gives you weapon crit like flames of oblivion from your ardent flame skill line or the fighters guild expert Hunter skill when slotted.

Sorry for the rambling but I hope you got something out of that. It may just turn out using a bow isn't for you. Although I believe having a ranged weapon is super important in pvp when ganking or attacking a keep.
    Guild Leader : Defenders Of Miley
    XB1 EU
    EP | VR16 Breton NB -mistermutiny
    AD | VR16 Dunmer DK - Grigori
    AD | VR16 Altmer Sorcerer - Isvoleet
    AD | VR16 Imperial DK - Leonidas
    AD | VR16 Bosmer NB - Hood
    AD | VR16 Breton Templar - Dante
    AD | VR16 Redguard Sorcerer - Raiden
    AD | VR7 Khajiit Templar - Ike'ilyew
    DC | 160 Breton NB - Vergil

"Hmmm... Very convincing.. Does the illusion apply to.. Everywhere? Perhaps this one should have a moment alone in private to double check" - Razum'Dar
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Attacking from the back isn't always possible, especially when I can't get around said enemy (due to others around me when I try). Plus I occasionally have instances of two enemies, one looking towards me and one away.

You all keep mentioning Bombard. Unfortunately I don't have that ability yet. Is this a morph of Volley or something?

• abirdman24
    I strictly keep to bow and almost never switch to my secondary weapon format. I find the snipe while "hidden" is devastating. Especially further away. I noticed the further away the snipe shot, the deadlier. I'd say about 70% if the time the snipe shoot, with poison morph from far away and hidden does a one hit kill. And the times it doesn't one hit kill they usually for before getting to me because of the poison. I had to tell myself it's ok if they hit you a little bit, just keep drawing that bow string. Also the poison arrow quick shot (don't remember the name) really messes people up and can get a lot of shirts offer before or of stamina.
    Live in the light, but play in the dark
  • abirdman24
    I forgot to ask, is the Volley really that good? It's the only bow skill I don't have unlocked. It just read like a weak skill to me. Nice slowing down the enemy but pretty low damage it seems.
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen, it's an AoE attack for if the enemy is a caster (and casters usually don't move and just keep throwing magic at you).

• abirdman24
    That would make sense. I usually just quickly shoot a poison arrow to disrupt the cast. Maybe I'll have to unlock it and try a change