The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Templars - Javelin: Why the increased damage(Magicka Morph + PTS Buff)

blabafat
blabafat
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay. So this ability...

Got a decent range, you throw a javelin, target gets knocked back.

Magicka Morph: Up to 40% additional damage based on the range it is used from

Stamina Morph: 3 second stun

It was updated in the PTS: 10% additional damage to it(both morphs I believe)

What I don't understand is...

WHY is there a morph that does INCREASED DAMAGE? WHY was the damage buffed?

What I mean is - It's a utility skill. It is a CC. You do not use it for DPS. You use it for the cc, utility, etc. If I use this ability, I'm not using it for the damage. I don't care about the damage. It's something you use to CC your enemy, allowing you to do damage with your DPS abilities while the enemy is CCed.

So, giving the Magicka Morph extra damage doesn't make sense to me. It should have a different affect. Maybe a snare or a damage buff would make sense. This skill could be SO good and cool. However, the magicka morph CC just isn't good enough. The bonus you get from morphing it is not something remarkable.
Fire Cloak - VR12 DK - Nord - EP
Ámeer - VR15 Templar - Imperial - AD
The Mágician - VR16 Templar - Imperial DC
Magíc - VR16 DK - Dark Elf - DC
Àmeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - DC
ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - AD
Æ ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - EP
Ameer Flow - Level 34 Nightblade - High Elf - EP

Youtube:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCFNmXCgmTVo-T-p1BIVLxbQ
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with you here.

Although I never used the magicka morph as I like the stam throwback/stun for situations when I need to buy time for mana to regen. There honestly is no reason to ever use the magicka morph as there are so many better DPS options.
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
    Options
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a templar I can tell you this skill does little to no damage and the knockback is a joke. The mob you hit with the javelin is up in your face before you can finish a heavy attack, even if you throw it at max range and start walking backwards. Also the knockback function has an ICD of 15-30 seconds.
    Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeB wrote: »
    As a templar I can tell you this skill does little to no damage and the knockback is a joke. The mob you hit with the javelin is up in your face before you can finish a heavy attack, even if you throw it at max range and start walking backwards. Also the knockback function has an ICD of 15-30 seconds.
    Agree with you here.

Although I never used the magicka morph as I like the stam throwback/stun for situations when I need to buy time for mana to regen. There honestly is no reason to ever use the magicka morph as there are so many better DPS options.

Yeah, the stamina morph is GREAT. The 3 second stun is really nice.

I agree with you in that the magicka knockback is pathetic. It's a very short amount of time the enemy is CCed.

Youtube:
    Options
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    could be useful for punting people off ledges, into water or lava to their death,etc. but yes the extra damage isn`t really needed on the CC,

Having a knockback along with blinds your enemy effect which disorients your enemy for x seconds etc would be better, or a damage buff to your next attack.

Personally I don`t think they have a clue what they are doing when it comes to the Templar , it`s apparent no one on the Dev team plays a Templar.
    Options
  • markt84
    markt84
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the Javelin is only cool for noobs to fill up a bar. I had to get rid of it because it's useless. My shield bash is better and gets me in their face. The javelin just let people know I was coming. And for such a cool looking ability, it's a shame it sucks so bad
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if they took the unblockable cc off of blazing spear and put it on this ability.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with my fellow Temps, the damage on this ability isn't that great even with bonus distance damage.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be useful for punting people off ledges, into water or lava to their death,etc. but yes the extra damage isn`t really needed on the CC,

Having a knockback along with blinds your enemy effect which disorients your enemy for x seconds etc would be better, or a damage buff to your next attack.

Personally I don`t think they have a clue what they are doing when it comes to the Templar , it`s apparent no one on the Dev team plays a Templar.

Yeah. I have used it for knocking people into slaughterfish. But that is a specific situation. In general the ability is not so useful :(

Youtube:
    Options
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whew, I'm glad one of the most damaging abilities in the game doesn't come with a knockback. Oh, wait...

I've gotten my templar up to ~25000 magicka and about 1800 spell power. The hardest I hit for in PvP is about 3k. So, 3.3k with the buff? Pretty OP!

I can't remember the last time I saw a Templar use that ability in PvP. I use blazing spear. Unstealths NBs, gives decent stun and can't be reflected!
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    New "i win" button for templar since jesus beam got fixed.... IMO
    Options
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There is no "I win" button for templars. How people think Radiant Destruction was op when there are skills like Focused Arrow or Crystal Shards and Wrecking blow out there just amazes me.
    Options
  • Lyrander
    Lyrander
    ✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »

There is no "I win" button for templars. How people think Radiant Destruction was op when there are skills like Focused Arrow or Crystal Shards and Wrecking blow out there just amazes me.

agree with all fellow templars here.

i wanna see ZOS devs playing IC with a Templar.

share video pls! show me! oh and try to deal damage with templar skills please.

Options
  • markt84
    markt84
    ✭✭✭
    Lyrander wrote: »
    Skwor wrote: »

agree with all fellow templars here.

i wanna see ZOS devs playing IC with a Templar.

share video pls! show me! oh and try to deal damage with templar skills please.

Hahaha right. I can't do hardly any dps a tank temp. I basically just stay alive until help arrives. And people in these forums want a cool down for jabs, like great mess with my only good close combat attack
    Options
  • BullNetch
    BullNetch
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's good for a magicka templar mage. It's similar to the flame knockback destro staff skill.

You don't get the channeled beam until Dawn's Wrath 40. If you want to do damage at range, you need it.

Aurora Javelin is better than Dark Flare while leveling. The Solar flare has a snare and the javelin has the knockback. Dark Flare has a cast time and solar barrage is an AOE that is only useful at melee range.

Options
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fun and mildly annoying, that's about it.
    Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BullNetch wrote: »
    Because it's good for a magicka templar mage. It's similar to the flame knockback destro staff skill.

You don't get the channeled beam until Dawn's Wrath 40. If you want to do damage at range, you need it.

Aurora Javelin is better than Dark Flare while leveling. The Solar flare has a snare and the javelin has the knockback. Dark Flare has a cast time and solar barrage is an AOE that is only useful at melee range.

For leveling all you need is puncturing sweeps..

Youtube:
    Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

xDD. Yeah jesus beam was OP in 1.6

Youtube:
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blabafat wrote: »
    MikeB wrote: »
    Agree with you here.

Yeah, the stamina morph is GREAT. The 3 second stun is really nice.

I agree with you in that the magicka knockback is pathetic. It's a very short amount of time the enemy is CCed.

Either way the skill is bad (for similar purposes one could use Volcanic Rune, which is cheaper and stuns and damages multiple targets), though from PvP perspective, since longer stun duration will rarely come to play, the magicka morph is superior (read: less bad).
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because after all of the nerfs ZOS had to buff something about Templar, so they just randomly applied a damage buff to a random skill without much thought about whether it actually made sense.
    Edited by timidobserver on August 1, 2015 5:23PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because after all of the nerfs ZOS had to buff something about Templar, so they just randomly applied a damage buff to a random skill without much thought about whether it actually made sense.

Sounds about right..unfortunately

Youtube:
    Options
  • BackFreckle
    BackFreckle
    ✭✭✭
    I respect your guys' opinions (especially blab's cuz I know he's a beast Templar), but you guys are crazy. Yes it's mainly a cc/utility power but there are ppl who use it for DPS (specifically for pvp) to say it does bad damage is a lie. You can half life someone with one spear (I use magika morph). So to hear that it's getting a damage buff is great.

We Templars complain that we don't get buffs, well here's one, obviously not one we asked for but I'll take it.
    Edited by BackFreckle on August 1, 2015 10:59PM
    Lara Dorren - Breton Templar
    Morzann - High Elf Nightblade
    Orik - Nord Dragonknight
    Oromis - High Elf Sorcerer
    Ellaria Sand - Redguard Sorcerer
    Solara - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    N'guvu Mojeda - Khajiit Sorcerer
    Lady Pakura - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Solembum - Khajiit Drafonknight
    AD//PS4//NA
    PSN - KuruptGamer
    Options
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respect your guys' opinions (especially blab's cuz I know he's a beast Templar), but you guys are crazy. Yes it's mainly a cc/utility power but there are ppl who use it for DPS (specifically for pvp) to say it does bad damage is a lie. You can half life someone with one spear (I use magika morph). So to hear that it's getting a damage buff is great.

We Templars complain that we don't get buffs, well here's one, obviously not one we asked for but I'll take it.

If it crits, and you get a burning light passive proc, I'm sure it can do a nice chunk of damage. However, if they want to increase our dps, they should buff dps skills that are not on par with other class's dps skills. If they want to improve our CC skills, they should buff the CC part of those skills.

Youtube:
    Options