Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Looking for Opinions on Healing

namelessone
I know a lot of healers run combat prayer + mages guilds buffs like crazy for there heals to have a 9k BoL cure My question though is do you think healing over time is just as good or better? Right now I focus on HoT with BoL as needed. For those of you who have played vet Dragonstar arena and the 12 man do you think HoT is still viable or should I switch to the Mages Guilds buffs like everyone else?

Im vet 10, I do not have the 30 CP yet to get the 12% critical passive. My current BoL non buffed heals for 5.5k health. With Puryfing Ritual, Rapid Regeneration, and Healing Springs I roughly heal for about 17-18k health over twenty seconds (again with no buffs). Ive gotten through most of the non vet DSA with my current setup but still looking for opinions please.

Thanks
  • Bwookiee
    Bwookiee
    Im curious on this too as ive been primarily a NB healer, and love the play style, ive done all vet but dsa and trials stuff or raids.... but am afraid dsa/trials will be too much to be efficient /competitive.... Im sure HoT style CAN do it, but as effectively?

Also on the NB side, with the change to stamina im worried without shards/repentance I wont be able to compete with Templars.

• WyldfireWyrm
    WyldfireWyrm
    ✭✭✭
    It's been my experience that burst damage is just too common in this game. I'd say burst healing is better than HoTs, though both will get the job done. HoTs just require a great deal more skill to execute because they depend heavily on the ability to shield your teammate while HoTs tick.

I've tried healing on Temp (currently 37), DK (stopped at 43) and NB (stopped at 22),and I've found Temp to be the easiest by a long shot. It's doable with other classes, but for healing, I'd prefer not to challenge myself when I play the most important role in a group. I'd rather challenge myself in tanking or DPS. I did feel more comfortable healing with the NB than the DK as far as actual healing goes, but it could be argued that DKs have better utility for groups than NBs do.
  • namelessone
    Ive been able to keep my group alive most of the time with my current setup, however Im mainly wondering in regards to Vet DSA and trials etc.
  • o_Skellington_o
    Burst heals are for burst damage. Use the hots to keep health up, burst heals after spike damage. I make it my mission to make sure no one dies.
  • namelessone
    Burst heals are for burst damage. Use the hots to keep health up, burst heals after spike damage. I make it my mission to make sure no one dies.

Thats kind of what I do now except without Inner Light & Magelight. Technically I cannot hit those high as hell numbers yet because I am not vet 14 yet and I do not have the 12% spell crit passive. Anyway, do you think HoT with BoL only in oh "shh" moments will work end game?
  • o_Skellington_o
    I haven't gotten there yet but from my experience healing in a handful of other MMO's that's more or less the general rule. Hots (which are usually resource efficient) for regular healing, burst heals for spike damage. ESO is more about resource management so the inefficient burst heals I save as an "oh ***" button. I'd love to hear from someone who has more endgame experience though.
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heya, experienced healer here.

First things first: People run Combat Prayer for the damage bonus (+8% damage done from minor berserk buff). Inner light from the mages guild is used for extra crit percentage and +5% more mana, which will also increase the amount of healing your HoTs do. Entropy from mages guild gives you more spell damage which also increases the amount of healing your skills do. So your HoTs do profit as well, not only BoL.

I keep thinking that people ask quite general questions, that cant be answered in a good way. The skills you need and the number of times you need them differs a lot, because of skill of players in your group and tactics that are being used.

Example:
    1) Ra-Kotu in HRC: If you split in this boss fight, you cant heal people with Healing Springs or Regeneration good enough, because they take a lot of damage over a short amount of time from the whirlwinds and run around, so you are lost with any area healing. BoL does the trick here.

2) Serpent in SO: Poison phase of this boss cant be healed by BoL. Too many people take too much damage to heal that with a flash heal ability. Healing Springs and Cleansing Ritual are your friends here.

Personally I would estimate that 70-80% of healing in trials is done with Healing Springs (Illlustrous Healing if you have good magicka management). So HoTs are important, but they dont do the trick alone. The other 20-30% are done with other healing abilities.

Good healers dont see HoT vs. Flash, but HoT AND Flash as the right way to be succesful.

TL;DR: Neither only HoTs or Flash Healing will do, if you want to be a good healer. The right mix is important.
    Edited by DschiPeunt on August 1, 2015 4:43PM
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • namelessone
    Thanks for that. I was kind of trying to go that route. Thus far Ive saved more magicka when Ive primarily used my 3-4 HoTs and an occasional BoL.

I wanted to ask next if you think running a 5 healers and 4 martials knowledge would be a good combo? Thats what Im leaning towards and with a torugs chest +staff. I already have 2 pieces of the healers and martial
    Edited by namelessone on August 1, 2015 5:31PM
  • Halke
    Halke
    ✭✭✭
    Experienced NB healer here ^.^ I can do it all and I don't have BoL (for my burst heals I use healing ward).

Also, that would be a great gear set to run, it is what most healers that I know of are wearing.
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Halke wrote: »
    Experienced NB healer here ^.^ I can do it all and I don't have BoL (for my burst heals I use healing ward).

Also, that would be a great gear set to run, it is what most healers that I know of are wearing.

Yeah, I didn't want to say, that templars are the healing superstars and no other class can do it. But for a templar healer I think the tips I gave, are the ones that make healing the easiest. There are great healers in every class.

And that setup is a good choice, but you may want to think about the future as well, before you buy V14 stuff. In a month we have V16 gear and there are already some nice sets in the Imperial City that will be the standard choice for healers, when IC goes live. So dont buy expensive stuff right now :)
    Edited by DschiPeunt on August 1, 2015 6:45PM
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • namelessone
    alright thanks Ill just continue farming for martial knowledge then as thats easy