Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So I'm a little new here and had a question

SkepticalGlenn
Why wouldn't everyone not wear heavy armor? Since there's no armor limitation like most mmo's what are the benefits to wearing light and medium armor. I'm curious because i'm a nightblade archer wearing heavy armor and have been told I should switch to medium. But my armor ( at least some of it ) boosts stamina so why switch? Are there hidden passives that make using these more efficient?
Khajit has wares
  • SkepticalGlenn
    Why wouldn't everyone not wear heavy armor? Since there's no armor limitation like most mmo's what are the benefits to wearing light and medium armor. I'm curious because i'm a nightblade archer wearing heavy armor and have been told I should switch to medium. But my armor ( at least some of it ) boosts stamina so why switch? Are there hidden passives that make using these more efficient?

Spell check: Why (Would) everyone not wear heavy armor?

I used a double negative and it bothered me. lol.
    Khajit has wares
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    you should try a triple negative

466904_large.jpg
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SkepticalGlenn it comes down to the 'perks' each armour type gives you and the skills it offer.

Many (most?) players actually wear a mixture, largely because each type offers bonuses based on the number of items of that type you wear, but also to have access to more skills: note however that you don't actually need to be wearing an item of an armour type to be able to use a skill it offers once you've unlocked the skill.

It's kind of min/maxing but as a generalisation it's not worth wearing 7 pieces of any one type since the bonuses you get from the 6th and 7th pieces are likely to be less useful than the bonuses from 2 pieces of some other type.

One typical variation for an NB is 5 pieces of Medium and two of Heavy, getting great Medium bonuses for their DPS and other skills while getting an 8% (I think) boost to Stamina .. some mages will wear a combination of Light and Heavy .. there are many permutations and you'll most of them promoted on here. :)
    Edited by KerinKor on July 30, 2015 6:42AM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭

The passives are not hidden and visable in plain sight in the skills-window. Just go to armor and see the different passives you can get for wearing different kinds of armor.

The amount of extra damage and stamina you get from wearing medium armor is huge compared to the amount of survivabillity you get from heavy.

Also when it comes to comparing survivabillity to dps, there is no such thing as too much dps. While you get enough survivability when you survive. So as long as you can survive with medium armor (and believe me, you can) you will be better off with the extra dps.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Bherdani
    Bherdani
    ✭✭✭
    I find a mix is best too; the passives for mag on light armor, the resistances on heavy, and the stam buffs for medium. Even my Naked Nord wears med and light pcs.
    Nightfighters - Legion of the Bloodworks
    www.elderscrubsonline.com
    NO PARKING IN THE RED
    Proud member of The Psijic Order - Team 0.016%