The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Black Screen Crash-Nvidia users *Working fix*

Foolish_Mortal
Greetings. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970. Sometime in June I began experiencing an issue while playing where the screen would go black but the game was still on (I could still hear the game and the sound effects of changing sub screens with the keyboard). I would have to manually close the game and restart. The black screen crash was generally accompanied with the generic "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" task tray message.
To be clear, this is NOT the black screen error after hitting play in the launcher. This is while playing the game. It was happening to me every play session, it could be 1 minute in, 5 minutes, or an hour.
After a ton of forum hunting and troubleshooting (ini.txt file changes, Nvdia control panel changes, driver rollbacks, display tweaks, etc.), I was still having the issue.
Finally, on 6/26/15, Nvidia released a Hotfix driver package 353.38. Installed it, no black screen crashes since. This has been a huge relief. Use the URL below or or search "GeForce Hotfix driver 353.38".

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-353.38

I hope this works for you!
Edited by Foolish_Mortal on July 23, 2015 4:21PM
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    I'm intrigued.

What driver version were you using before?

What are your system specs?

What you describe happens to me, too. But I want to see if there are any similarities between your system and mine.
  • Foolish_Mortal
    Tinolyn wrote: »
    I'm intrigued.

What driver version were you using before?
    What are your system specs?
    What you describe happens to me, too. But I want to see if there are any similarities between your system and mine.

Sorry, I'm not sure if it was 353.30 or 353.06. But the change was dramatic! Every time I played I crashed! Admittedly, I did have one more of these crashes last week, but once out of weeks of long play sessions is ok (ish).

I am still experiencing a periodic freeze requiring a task manager kill, but that's only been about once a week. Mostly in player populated areas. I don't feel this is related to the Nvidia black screen crash.

Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel i7 4790
    Gigabyte motherboard with 8 gigs of GSkill RAM
    Samsung SSD hard drive
    EVGA GTX 970

Sorry, I can't remember the specific video card model, though it is factory overclocked. I do not have other overclocking on my system.

I would definitely try the hotfix. Or, some players have had luck rolling back to the "Witcher 3" Nvidia release. Not sure of the exact version of that one, it may be 352.86.

Good luck!
    Edited by Foolish_Mortal on July 24, 2015 9:12PM
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I tried the latest hotfix ones (353.49) and have not had a crash (ESO not responding) since (knock on wood).

System specs:

Win7 Pro 64 bit
    1 Terabyte HD
    Geforce GTX 960
    8 GB RAM
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition @3.2 GHz
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion about the driver hotfix; unfortunately it didn't work on my end.. the later the driver (including hotfixes), the more often it blackscreen-freezes.
    I tried different drivers, also one that is about 1 year old since they worked on my old OS where I never had any blackscreens, but no difference, on Win 7 it continues to freeze to black.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will driver sweep and try this hotfix. I won't hold my breath as I am pretty sure I have tried it already. I will post my results over the next few days, unless I crash tonight and remember to come here and post.
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the crash came back.

I'm convinced that this problem is on ESO's end.

Things were finally smoothing out with lag spikes, and no crashes, when the PTR hit and I had lag spikes galore last night. And then a crash.

The lag spikes and crashes were especially bad when you first released this game on consoles. I'm seeing a parallel here, between new releases from ESO and instability, with both lag spikes and game stability.

It isn't my computer. It isn't my drivers. It is either poor coding or the inability of ESO's server hardware to handle loads appropriately.
  • Foolish_Mortal
    Tinolyn wrote: »
    Well, the crash came back.

I'm sorry to hear it :(

My machine is still doing well. Still the occasional freeze/hang in towns, but no more black screen "driver not responding" crashes. That hotfix made all the difference for me.

I hope you're able to resolve it soon, I know how frustrating it is.
  • luke.lachanceb14_ESO
    luke.lachanceb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I was having this issue. I have a gtx 970,and when i ran in dx11 mode,and only that mode,i would get random black screen/Nvidia crashes no matter what. Only using dx9 would stop the crashes.

Oddly enough this one thing i read somewhere completely fixed it. I went into BIOS and changed my Pcie port speed from 3.0 to 2.0.Sounds dumb,but i have been playing over a week on Dx11 and have not crashed once.

I have 0 idea why this worked for me,but if it worked for me maybe it will for someone else too.
    Edited by luke.lachanceb14_ESO on July 30, 2015 4:42PM
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No longer black screening.
    I am however still getting the same problem, instead of the screen going black, it just freezes. I can still hear myself moving, sheathing/unsheathing weapons, dodge rolling.

Changing drivers and all the other things claiming to be a fix has not worked.
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • lifefrombelowb14_ESO
    Xael wrote: »
    No longer black screening.
    I am however still getting the same problem, instead of the screen going black, it just freezes. I can still hear myself moving, sheathing/unsheathing weapons, dodge rolling.

Changing drivers and all the other things claiming to be a fix has not worked.

I have this exact same issue since switching to Windows 10 on an EVGA 660 SC+.