The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Several n00b questions

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
Hey all. New to the game (but not new to the Single Player franchise). I have some questions;

-Is there a first person mode when on a mount?
-Is there an AFK timer (something that will log you out for inactivity)?
-Custom chat channels?
-A way to change the color of certain chat channels?
-A way for the game to remember the chat window size I set?
-Question about the bounty system if caught stealing. When the red goes away and there's just white, is it safe to walk around or should I still avoid guards?
-Can you pretty much go anywhere in Tamriel, like up to Skyrim from any location?
-Please explain the reason horses are so expensive (with the "cheapest" being 10k)? I have already bought one from the Crown Store, but I'm just curious.
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. on pc there is an addon. console no.
    2. yes 15minutes
    3. no custom chat channels
    4. yes addons
    5. addon
    6. if its white the guards will not immediately attack you but will still take your money if you get close enough
    7. yes to a limit
    8. because you need something to spend money on
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Benie wrote: »
    Hey all. New to the game (but not new to the Single Player franchise). I have some questions;

-Is there a first person mode when on a mount? No, but if you're on PC I believe there used to be a mod to allow it.
    -Is there an AFK timer (something that will log you out for inactivity)? Yes.
    -Custom chat channels? Console: Voice channels only, not custom but guilds get additional channels scaled to how many members they have.
    -A way to change the color of certain chat channels? Console: No, because there is no text chat.
    -A way for the game to remember the chat window size I set? Console: No chat.
    -Question about the bounty system if caught stealing. When the red goes away and there's just white, is it safe to walk around or should I still avoid guards? Still avoid, but they'll give you the option to pay instead of killing you on sight.
    -Can you pretty much go anywhere in Tamriel, like up to Skyrim from any location? Limited to what faction you're in.
    -Please explain the reason horses are so expensive (with the "cheapest" being 10k)? I have already bought one from the Crown Store, but I'm just curious. Because they never adjusted prices. Originally you didn't train horse skills, you fed your individual horses. So the 42k horses started out with a bonus for one of the attributes that other horses would never be able to achieve the same cap.

Edited by mklundub17_ESO on July 30, 2015 7:25PM
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. I have the PC version (as I've always owned the Elder Scrolls series since Oblivion(when I got into the series)). Was looking on Curse and I didn't see any First Person mount mods. However I did see one that gives you a timer of when its "time to feed your horse".

But thank you, mklundub17_ESO, for clearing up that mount feeding thing. I forgot to ask for that. And also for explaining why the prices are so high. It seems like this game is rarely updated. That's not good to hear. At least I'm glad I only paid $15 instead of $60 (got it on sale).
    --Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
    Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
    Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. I have the PC version (as I've always owned the Elder Scrolls series since Oblivion(when I got into the series)). Was looking on Curse and I didn't see any First Person mount mods. However I did see one that gives you a timer of when its "time to feed your horse".

But thank you, mklundub17_ESO, for clearing up that mount feeding thing. I forgot to ask for that. And also for explaining why the prices are so high. It seems like this game is rarely updated. That's not good to hear. At least I'm glad I only paid $15 instead of $60 (got it on sale).

The best place for add ons for eso is not curse but esoui.com
    Actually the amount of updates are going to change. To explain the issue.

When the game launched (as a game with a sub) it wasn't ready for launch. there where a huge amount of bugs and a lot of things to be taken care off. Also people found the subfee very high, specially with games without subs on the market the where comparable to ESO (if it was bug free). So they only got around adding one major new zone (graclorn), had to postpone the console launches and did a lot of bugfixes. Besides thaht they also took a lot of time to improve other things (like adding the fugutive system and adding champion points and making it buytoplay with an optional sub and a cash shop) So they took the first year to implement all of that and improve. Then they still had to do the postponed console release. this happened in june. Now all of this is behind us we are moving on. They did announce on quakecon that they are aiming for 4 major dlc releases per year, starting with imperial city end of august.

As for the cost of mounts..it is not that they forgot the lower the prices, just maybe to change them cause they are just visuals now. A high mount price helps in getting players to buy one from the crownstore. so it might be on purpose.

As for the price. It might seem daunted, but later on these prices are peanuts. If you want to grind it...
    Learn how to steal in towns (sneak up to a container, wait for the "hidden" mark and quickly loot it. then sell it to the fence in the refugee. The green items go for 100 gold each. it is a great way of making some quick and easy money.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

The game is updated frequently...Patches are put out every week or two that fix bugs and update issues. New content (zones, game mechanics/systems, etc.) are not added as quickly as many people would like, but it does happen. A new DLC is actually scheduled to be added at the end of next month and is on the PTS right now.

The real reason the horse prices were never adjusted is because a lot of people would have been very, very upset if new players got mounts at an incredibly cheap price after they had shelled out 42,000 (X3 in some cases) less than a year earlier. The cheapest (non-imperial edition) mount use to be 17,000 gold at the start of the game, so cost was lowered some for new players.

As for exploring all of Tamriel -- At first you are limited to your faction's zones. But after you have completed the main story another alliance's zones open up. Then after you complete a list of required quests there, the final alliance's zones become open to you as well.

Edited to add: Also all of what @Ranique said is correct as well :)
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on July 30, 2015 9:10PM
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    The real reason the horse prices were never adjusted is because a lot of people would have been very, very upset if new players got mounts at an incredibly cheap price after they had shelled out 42,000 (X3 in some cases) less than a year earlier. The cheapest (non-imperial edition) mount use to be 17,000 gold at the start of the game, so cost was lowered some for new players.

I still stick by my reason of them just being lazy and not changing it after they revamped from horse feeding to training. I would be more upset that I paid 42k for 2 different horses, and paid to level 3 horses (one pure speed, one carrying and one my imperial which was mixed for general questing).

There were others who actually paid 42k for a the speed horse, then paid another 42k for the same horse because they mistakenly fed it wrong and knew they'd end up at the cap and always be however many points down.

Players getting the 42k horses for 10k just for appearance wouldn't bother me a bit, most have moved on to crown store mounts anyways.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar