The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Scammers

nwurm2006
nwurm2006
I think it would be of benefit to have one location where people can come and post scammers gamertags to help warn players against possible scammers.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO .. calling out other players is not permitted, not wise (abused)

Report a scammer with an ingame ticket
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with that is the use of alternative accounts. As well as that it would be difficult to police some one who is scamming. A person makes a verbal agreement with another player and that person breaks the agreement for what ever reason. How can it be proven that the contract was broken for malicious reasons? "Oh my internet crashed" "I had a phone call" ect ect ect ect.

Unfortunately it at this time,as far as I as I can see it can not be policed, all I would say and have said before is, do not give gold to any one any one you do not know or trust.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrong, in game logs show all
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

• DXCortEX
    DXCortEX
    ✭✭
    The problem with that is the use of alternative accounts. As well as that it would be difficult to police some one who is scamming. A person makes a verbal agreement with another player and that person breaks the agreement for what ever reason. How can it be proven that the contract was broken for malicious reasons? "Oh my internet crashed" "I had a phone call" ect ect ect ect.

Unfortunately it at this time,as far as I as I can see it can not be policed, all I would say and have said before is, do not give gold to any one any one you do not know or trust.

Man, that's bs. It's not hard at all. Besides, if a contract is broken, it's broken. Why should it be shown (by the victim) there was no malicious intent? You didn't upheld your end of the bargain, that's all.
    Beside, how long is your phone call supposed to be until someone can call male cow feces on your reason? 2 hours? Most of the time, the scam is very obvious (such as leaving right away, never contacting back)and the culprit will backpedal long after with a myriad of reasons, if he ever show up again.

If you get scammed, don't be scared, and don't seek revenge. Report the guy with an ingame ticket. Answer the automated response with all the infos you can, such as the time of the scam, the amount of gold, the reason of the scam, and so forth. I got my money back, so can anyone to whom it happens. I don't know what happened to the guy, and i don't care. I got compensated for my trouble, and that's close to what would happen in a civil court anyways.

I know when something like this happens, you feel angry, maybe other emotions too, but it's better to just follow what ZOS ask and not embark on a crusade or vendetta.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Name and shame is not allowed and will get your own account suspended (as well).

I know getting scammed is not a pleassant experience. But it is a signal to you that not everyone is up to be good. Looking at the world through pink glasses will get people take advantage of your kindness and trusting personality.

So you have to asume that people can't be trusted. You got scammed (I Assume) so you know there are bad people. Who is there to prevent the bad people to make misuse of a name and shame system and even use it to blackmail people??

Also. I've been called a scammer myself, while I was not. The person was just angry at me for some guilddrama he caused.

The GM's are the police, judge and jury. If you report it they will ivnestigate. The gamelogs show everything and they will take appropiate action.

In naming and shaming I've seen people go as far as photoshopping screenshots. Believe me. It is a bad idea, cause people can't be trusted (thats what the whole scamming thing is about).

Also one final note:

Alot of scamming goes on bout werewolf and vampire bites. There is a very good solution for this. Do not pay for a bite ever!
    There are a lot of people biting for free and there are also guilds that offer free bites for members (with a waiting list). So seek out a free bite instead. By paying for a bite you are not only have a high risk to get scammed, but you also uphold a system that is wrong and block the spreading of the dissease.

Someone getting payed for a bite will not want the dissease to spread, cause that will ruin his business. So it is in their interest to scam you, just as they are the ones killing the spawns. By seeking out a free bite (and with a lil bit of patience you will get a free bite) you take away their merchandise while still reaching your goal. So if you really wanna fight scammers. Seek a bite for free!
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with name and shame is it becomes a player run system which isn't fair or regulated.

Entire guilds could band together and say "Never play with Bob42 because he's a scammer" and ruin his gaming on ESO, however Bob42's only crime was not doing enough DPS in a dungeon that one time and upsetting the troll guild.

Report scammers to ZOS, they will be investigated and banned. Yes they can get new accounts and scam again if they want, but that's their real life money they're spending on each new account.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • KkaosReinz
    OzJohnD wrote: »

That doesn't work on console, because everything is verbal :-/ yet another reason for the option.... *sigh*
    Kkaos Reinz
    Pack Leader of
    The House of Reinz
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    DXCortEX wrote: »

Man, that's bs. It's not hard at all. Besides, if a contract is broken, it's broken. Why should it be shown (by the victim) there was no malicious intent? You didn't upheld your end of the bargain, that's all.
    Beside, how long is your phone call supposed to be until someone can call male cow feces on your reason? 2 hours? Most of the time, the scam is very obvious (such as leaving right away, never contacting back)and the culprit will backpedal long after with a myriad of reasons, if he ever show up again.

If you get scammed, don't be scared, and don't seek revenge. Report the guy with an ingame ticket. Answer the automated response with all the infos you can, such as the time of the scam, the amount of gold, the reason of the scam, and so forth. I got my money back, so can anyone to whom it happens. I don't know what happened to the guy, and i don't care. I got compensated for my trouble, and that's close to what would happen in a civil court anyways.

I know when something like this happens, you feel angry, maybe other emotions too, but it's better to just follow what ZOS ask and not embark on a crusade or vendetta.

Not quite, as said above there is no log on console. Glad to read you got your gold back your one of the fortunate one's, on these forums I have read posts explaining that a complaint had led to nothing, as some one else pointed out with so many scammers on console it would be difficult to deal with all the cases put forward, hence my post. But I do understand you disagreeing as you had a result.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well then they need to police the game as quickly as they police the forums. Because there are 2 very well known PS4 scammers that are on pretty much every afternoon, have been reported hundreds of times I am sure, yet there they still are.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well then they need to police the game as quickly as they police the forums. Because there are 2 very well known PS4 scammers that are on pretty much every afternoon, have been reported hundreds of times I am sure, yet there they still are.

That is exactly the issue.
    All YOU know is that you got scammed by them (if they did scam you). for all other people saying it, you have no proof at all. And if people are reporting someone for scamming while not being the victum of a scam, it might even happen that support picks up like 5 reports. see that the players that reported had no transactions at all with the scammer and conclude they are getting the victum of false reports and flag the accounts as ok.

How do you know they got reported 100's of times, and how do you know they where real scams they did? If even ahlf of those reports where organised and false (no interaction between player and scammer), no wonder they dont get suspended at all.

Also...there is no need to get scammed at all!

Don't get a werewolf/vampire bite for gold. You are asking to get scammed and more important, you are supporting a system of scammers. If you want to get the dissease spread out, get a free bite (join a guild that gives them for free and be patient) and also when bitten give away free bites. It destroys their market.
    For all other scams. Just only ever use C.O.D. or a direct trade when you stand next to eachtoher. Never sent an items to a person or a sent gold to a person on the promise of getting it back.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    KkaosReinz wrote: »
    OzJohnD wrote: »

That doesn't work on console, because everything is verbal :-/ yet another reason for the option.... *sigh*

yes that is a problem, but the logs will still show the handing over of gold for nothing provided in return - you don't need to know the content of the voice chat for it to be obvious what has happened, just a little harder to prove an agreement existed before handing over the gold.

My bites are free, the only cost is paying it forward. My WW bites (which may be in less demand now) are random at the shrine, my Vampire bites are a little more discerning ... I refuse to bite a baby toon, young blood is too sweet for my taste.

nosferatu.jpg

ps .. no I don't take bookings or reservations for bites
    Edited by OzJohnD on July 30, 2015 11:21PM

• Grapedragon
    I would always advice to never pay in advance, unless you know the person. I always bite people for free and and I haven't ever paid for a bite myself, it's simply unnecessary. Just wait, talk to people, be patient and have fun and someone will come up to you and bite you without warning ;)
    Edited by Grapedragon on July 31, 2015 12:44PM