The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best Way to Improve/Enchant?

LordMcSwagger
In my guild there is a bit of debate as to the best way to enchant/improve gear...

Some say that level of enchant doesn't matter if you put the enchant on first then improve the gear to the desired level...

Others swear that If you improve to max level then put max level glyph on you will get best results...

Others say to put max enchant on first then improve to desired level...

I am looking for a guide or anyone's experience on this topic. I want to put this to rest but am not keen on wasting resources to test it out.

Thanks!
Swagger
Guild Master: Black Lotus
Lord McSwagger VR16: Templar Healer
Anne Ihilation VR16: Mage Blade
Declan Stachenshield VR4: Sorcer
Isabelle Stonecaller VR3: Magicka Dragon Knight
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Glyph you make is fixed, and does not change with what you put it on as far as Improvement goes. There are some caveats to this.

First, if you put a Glyph on Chest, Legs or Head, you get the full amount, same with weapons and jewelery. If you put a glyph on Hands, Waist, Feet or Shoulders it is reduced, 40% of base is the value I think you get. I never bothered to calculate it as it is what it is.

Now, if you run the Infused Trait on your armor or weapon, you do get an increase in the Glyph effect. And, if you improve an Infused item, the boost increases. You can see how much that will increase in the Improvement Window before you apply the tempers. So apply the Glyph before Improving*.

However, other than Infused, the glyph you apply remains the same no matter how much you improve the armor or weapon.

*With Improving Items, if you don't have enough tempers to get 100% Chance to Succeed, you have a 100% chance to fail and lose the item, the glyph and the tempers. Only plain non traited non glyphed items will sometimes success at less than 100% chance. And that is not very often.
    Edited by Nestor on July 30, 2015 7:32PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LordMcSwagger
    Thanks Nestor, that was pretty close to my thinking on the subject. I will pass that along.
    Guild Master: Black Lotus
    Lord McSwagger VR16: Templar Healer
    Anne Ihilation VR16: Mage Blade
    Declan Stachenshield VR4: Sorcer
    Isabelle Stonecaller VR3: Magicka Dragon Knight