The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm just starting out and need tips.

Juicymoose
Juicymoose
Soul Shriven
I just made my account and got the game downloaded today. I have started 1 character and I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not (only level 6) and I'm not sure how to start out strong. I'm used to elder scrolls games where I am very weak starting out but I usually just put in cheat codes. I guess my questions are, should I focus more on making my first character strong as possible in combat when I start out and ignore the crafting system, or vice versa? Also should I be looking for a guild this early in my game?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you go to the starting area (the so-called 'starting islands'where mobs are level 4). It will make your life easier. You get there by taking a quest from an NPC very close to where you appear in the world after completing the coldharbor prison tutorial.

Take the crafting, it is worth the couple of skillpoints. Keep yourself well-equipped with self-made items, also makes life easier.

Make sure to buy one skill from each of the three skill lines of your class and have those skills on your quickbar. It causes all three of those skill lines to gain experience(even if you don't actively use that skill, its enough to have it slotted).

It is not a bad idea to initially mix all 3 armor types - for example even if you want to use medium armor primarily, wear heavy armor chestpiece and light armor sash. This way you will level up all armor skills and are more flexible later on.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The debate between being Crafty and Deadly is long and on going. I personally feel that leveling a character up to say 40/50 or so and then speccing them into a crafter is the way to go and then have a character that is focused on combat.

Your only going to be able to handle two crafts and remain deadly until you are in the VR Ranks. Sure it can be done with more crafting, but your making it harder on yourself.

And, the advice in post 2 is good. But let me add something else. Start researching Traits now. See the Trait discussion I have in this thread and the other points that folks made

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/171526/need-tips-for-crafting#
    Edited by Nestor on July 29, 2015 8:11PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The debate between being Crafty and Deadly is long and on going. I personally feel that leveling a character up to say 40/50 or so and then speccing them into a crafter is the way to go and then have a character that is focused on combat.

I agree with that, It is what I am doing.
    Juicymoose wrote: »
    I'm used to elder scrolls games where I am very weak starting out but I usually just put in cheat codes.

I believe when people use cheats in a game, they then lose the whole aspect and ability to learn within that game. I would rather struggle now, as I am, than ever use a cheat that way I am learning. Learn everything you can now, crafting skills ect. Joining a guild you will be able to talk to members who will be able to give you advice ect.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp