The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

In game character names

OzJohnD
OzJohnD
✭✭✭✭
Is there any intention of being able to see character names in game on consoles (I've migrated from MacOS ESO to PS4) instead of seeing gamer tags for character names ?

Seems rather superfluous to enforce a character name in creation if they are not used in game on consoles in the same way as PC ESO

I have been a light RP'er for many of my online games and all of my ESO characters have a name chosen for a specific reason and have their own back-story. To have all of them known as OzJohnD in game is a little disappointing.
Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Makes me glad I'm on PC.

Sorry that's not helpful. I've only heard third- and fourth- hand gossip that no, that isn't going to change.

I don't know why.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    Is there any intention of being able to see character names in game on consoles (I've migrated from MacOS ESO to PS4) instead of seeing gamer tags for character names ?

Seems rather superfluous to enforce a character name in creation if they are not used in game on consoles in the same way as PC ESO

I have been a light RP'er for many of my online games and all of my ESO characters have a name chosen for a specific reason and have their own back-story. To have all of them known as OzJohnD in game is a little disappointing.

I found another nerd?? I name all my characters and give them a back-story, I play PS4 too and was disappointed that the chosen names weren't showing up.
    Edited by SedoUmbra on July 7, 2015 3:15PM
  • jsalari
    jsalari
    I did find one place where they used my Character name (Krishin) and not my GamerTag (Salari30) on the Xbox

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr=c&sig=z7FB6wLQR2f6TJVD%2FuM1LplVSK%2Buf8YVS85gYFrbGw8%3D&st=2015-07-07T14%3A48%3A18Z&se=2015-07-07T15%3A53%3A18Z&sp=r&__gda__=1436284398_052bdd96419d928faed1fc0477d87f12

• FreddyFarkas
    Yeah, I'm disappointed as well. I like to give my characters names so that it will be used. I don't like seeing people's gamertags. There is dialogue that shows your character name, as jsalari mentioned.
    Someone probably has better advice than me.

Xbox One - x Compozure x
    Guild: Lock N Load (recruiting!)
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    jsalari wrote: »
    I did find one place where they used my Character name (Krishin) and not my GamerTag (Salari30) on the Xbox

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr=c&sig=z7FB6wLQR2f6TJVD%2FuM1LplVSK%2Buf8YVS85gYFrbGw8%3D&st=2015-07-07T14%3A48%3A18Z&se=2015-07-07T15%3A53%3A18Z&sp=r&__gda__=1436284398_052bdd96419d928faed1fc0477d87f12

Yeah if you are with the Dominion you give your character name to the Watch Captain at the start.
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people won't respond to their character names or maybe forget what they even are. So some dude is shouting hey sir galavant the massive into area chat And you don't answer because your gamertag is smokeentrees and anybody you have ever played with calls you trees or smoking or whatever.

Items created also bear the character name.

Also at least psn and Xbox screen gamertags for profanity. If you think gamertags break your Immersion, what do you think will happen when a guy with the gamer tag of flaminfartbluud gets the chance to create 8 more gems for you to read in town.

8 names, that's a lot of immersion breaking.

I played defiance where they allowed character names and many players had multiple characters they would grind with and would never respond to the random lore driven name they gave their character.

Chasing after another player calling the character name is awkward and usually ends in the the player telling you to just call him by his gamertag.

Also at least when players are trolling and quickly log out you can use their gamertag to find and report them. If you only know their character name then the list of recnttly met gamertags is pointless.

• Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least as Xbox is concerned all games have deferred to the gamer tag. Why would this game be different? If you area roll player you are using a lot of imagination to play the game that way anyway so just use it to imagine that is your characters name.

People in the Xbox world know you because of the gamer tag, it would be more difficult to come into this game and then they not be there for your friends to find. I prefer the gamer tag for the sake of the Xbox one Universe.

A option to toggle Gamer tag or Character name would also be fine by me because we still can choose. Goes with the play your way mantra.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • xionicc
    xionicc
    ✭✭
    Ffxiv let's you use character names and puts their gtag on their character sheet in which you can inspect. Also ESO allows the ability to view a persons profile in game. So if you need to report a person you could do so that way. I'm all for character names over gtags.
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish the consoles would show character names. Of course, no one wants to see someone running around with some idiotic gamertag (I saw one that was like MyFistInYour***) but also, I share my account with a teenager who has like 4 characters, one of which is named something like "Gaara Kazekage", and someone else, who named the account spaceballs275, I mean really?? I'm Rioghnan, not Spaceballs! That is not the name I wanted! People are going to look at my awesome character and think of Rick Moranis!
    You die first!
  • Philip_Allen
    Philip_Allen
    Soul Shriven
    My character's name is Aethos -- a Redguard Templar, heavy on the Aedric Spear skills and 1/s. I was happy with the name I chose (after spending several hours re-rolling to fix voice and facial hair and agonizing over tiny details) and I'm finally satisfied with how my character looks and feels with the play style I enjoy -- kind of 300-esque, dodge, lance, bash, slice.

My current gt is my actual name, Philip C Allen. It's obviously pretty convenient and self-explanatory.

But I'm considering changing my gamer tag to match my character, Aethos Solari. (The background story is that Aethos is a distant descendant of Auri-El born into a sun worshipping tribe of Redguard who call themselves the Solari, after a Redguard woman "communed" with a sun deity during a prayer for a fertile growing season... and so on and so forth.)

Question for the discriminating light RP-ers out there with regard to gamer tag aesthetics: If you were traveling around and saw another character with a gamer tag that's that character's in-game name is that something that's pretty eye catching, or is it really no big deal? Area chat, grouping up, trading, questing together? Is a decent gt a big selling point to get you interested in socializing with someone?

Thank you very much for your comments and ideas!
  • Inufandom
    Inufandom
    I was hoping that I could choose between character name and gamertag.
  • Celestrael
    Celestrael
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully when I made by PSN tag, it's the same name I use for my characters in RPGs (Celestrael) so it works out. But it is annoying seeing gamer tags run by in the game world, because most are annoying and break the immersion a lot.
    Celestrael: 45 Imperial Vampire - Templar Magicka Tank
    Order of Enigma
    Aldmeri Dominion - PS4: North America

Looking for other gaymers on PS4 NA Aldmeri Dominion, feel free to add me! PSN: Celestrael
  • Sylas_Dro'Sakhar
    Maybe it would be nice for players to have a choice as to which tag they see in-game. Some prefer seeing gamertags, while others, like myself, would like to use character names. Just a thought.
  • Paulgar
    Paulgar
    Soul Shriven
    I don't see why ZOS can't make a compromise and put both player names and IDs on the screen. Why can't the gamertags/psnids just be underneath the characters name in brackets or something? What's the point of even naming a character if no one sees it? Might as well call all my characters lerwijgwiergnwilurghwiu. :/
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    My character's name is Aethos -- a Redguard Templar, heavy on the Aedric Spear skills and 1/s. I was happy with the name I chose (after spending several hours re-rolling to fix voice and facial hair and agonizing over tiny details) and I'm finally satisfied with how my character looks and feels with the play style I enjoy -- kind of 300-esque, dodge, lance, bash, slice.

My current gt is my actual name, Philip C Allen. It's obviously pretty convenient and self-explanatory.

But I'm considering changing my gamer tag to match my character, Aethos Solari. (The background story is that Aethos is a distant descendant of Auri-El born into a sun worshipping tribe of Redguard who call themselves the Solari, after a Redguard woman "communed" with a sun deity during a prayer for a fertile growing season... and so on and so forth.)

Question for the discriminating light RP-ers out there with regard to gamer tag aesthetics: If you were traveling around and saw another character with a gamer tag that's that character's in-game name is that something that's pretty eye catching, or is it really no big deal? Area chat, grouping up, trading, questing together? Is a decent gt a big selling point to get you interested in socializing with someone?

Thank you very much for your comments and ideas!

If I see someone whose gamertag is obviously from TES I'm highly impressed. I've seen a few and I always think Holy moly that person bought a PS4 TO PLAY ESO. They are the ultimate of fabulous awesomeness. And then I get more disgusted that I let someone else pick my gamertag. Boooooooo on that.
    You die first!
  • GreyHound501
    I have three characters right now and I named the first one greyhound second one bluehound just to keep it simple and third one gankish because I made him with my gank squad buddies but I really prefer gametags than character names makes it easier for messing and stuff like that which in neverwinter it was character name and it was hard as hell to friend people and send xbox messages.
  • Post6667
    Post6667
    I was also very disappointing in this. I spent a lot of time making my character and picking a name just to find out that it really did not matter what I named my character. They should at least give us an option on what we want to display.
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    Most people won't respond to their character names or maybe forget what they even are. So some dude is shouting hey sir galavant the massive into area chat And you don't answer because your gamertag is smokeentrees and anybody you have ever played with calls you trees or smoking or whatever.

"Most people" are not roleplayers though. The whole notion of a RPer forgetting his own characters' names is a little funny.

And I just don't know how you people (on consoles) deal with all the other chars' names. Some characters even look similar ... I think my head would explode if I had to roleplay on console. :/
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    Sengra wrote: »
    And I just don't know how you people (on consoles) deal with all the other chars' names. Some characters even look similar ... I think my head would explode if I had to roleplay on console. :/

Very very carefully... and most of the time solo.
    It is sadly a better game when you mute everything and completely ignore everyone. I have been tempted to return my xbox version and wait til I get a better PC to play ESO.
    GT: Frozstee = Xbox - NA =
    "Bright Moons, and Sharp Claws my friends." - Zarum
  • AceTrainerBean
    I would love the ability to toggle character names on and off.