Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Build Question

Shep941
Shep941
Hi, I'm pretty new to ESO (started playing console at launch) and am having trouble with my build.

I started with a 2hander stam build and added resto backup at level 15. Around level 30 I went to sword and board with resto backup. This seemed to work pretty well but after some research I decided it would be better to have both loadouts either based on stam or magica so I swapped to Destro/Resto with 70% of my points in magica and 30% in health. I'm level 42 now and having less success than I feel I had with sword and board.

At endgame I want to be mainly a healer but want a dps spec as well.

I've looked at the vampire builds but I really don't want to just run around spamming bats plus I'm not sure how effective that build is in pvp / endgame.

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

Cheers~!
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat . at 27 and I'm running 2h and restro but I'm evening my two pools of stam and magic and keeping my health low and subsidising it with meals and potions and armour
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    vampire on a templar is not a great idea. The reason being that a healer needs to be standing as long as possible. Vampire itself is a glasscanon type of build.

You did the good thing by going destro/resto full magica. I do think you might want to pump the magica further up and let the health drop behind (no need to respec, just put everything in magica from now on).

What armor are you using?? I personally think the gain of armorrating from heavy armor is worth more then the gain of magica from light armor. To explain this.

With heavy armor, you have better protection to loosing health. This means you can choose to have more magica then health in attributes, food and mundus effects. Cause, when self-healing, your magica decides how much hp you restore, but you total amount of hp decides how much healing you need to be full it is more productive to prevent loosing healthpoints compared to stacking more healthpoints that require healing.

The biggest issue however is that with a destro/resto setup on templar, you picked a setup that is very good for groupplay, but less for solo play. The reason is that templar doesn't have a pet like the sorcerer to tank for you. So you need something to keep your foes (mostly) at more then an arms lenght. This can be done with kiting them around, dodging and rolling, but also with knock backs like piercing jeveling. With the amount of magica you got you should be able to spam it regularly, the knockbacks help a lot in creating the distance between you and your foes and last of all it is decent damage.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Shep941
    Shep941
    Ranique,

Thanks and you make some good points. I recently swapped from all heavy except 1 light and 1 medium to all light except 1 heavy and 1 medium. I did notice doing a lot more healing and having to pot to restore my mana bar often.

So far I've played entirely solo. Never even been in a group. Still haven't tried pvp.I'm going to start looking for a guild that does dungeons soon( PS4 US - DC) but will probably be mostly solo for the next 8 levels anyway.

I think I'll look into more CC.

Any other suggestions appreciated from anyone....
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    The fire damage vampires take is going to be reduced significantly in a coming update, so vampire builds will be become more viable across the board. I have a Templar Healer myself, and the only reasons I've decided against going vampire on that character are 1.) my character is a dark-scaled, striped argonian with skull face painting, a look I've become attached to and really like, and I'm not sold on becoming an ghostly albino lizard overnight and 2.) I'm a Healer, and currently the fire damage would just make it extremely difficult to effectively fulfill this important role. However, if you're looking to up your DPS output, vampire might still be a good addition to your build.

Unfortunately, magicka Templars don't have a lot of options when it comes to DPSing. Sure, there's a few Destro skills, Puncturing Sweep, and Radiant Oppression. And that's about it. Stamina Templars have cornered the DPS market for sure. I run Resto Staff as my main, but I actually end up using my 2hander more often because I solo most of the time. I don't have any points invested in stamina, but 2h still hits like a truck. Plus, it (oddly enough) increases my spell power. I might switch to Destro later.

Out of my six characters, I'd say my Templar Healer is actually the strongest with the most survivability and so far has been the easiest to level up. I disagree with the suggestion to incorporate more heavy armor; if you're a magicka build, mostly light armor is the way to go, period. You need those magicka passives. You're not a Tank, so stacking HP shouldn't be your priority. The extra health might help when self-healing, but I wouldn't sacrifice that precious magicka for it.

I've encountered one decent-looking magicka Templar DPS build; I'll post the link below so you can check it out as a potential set-up for when you're not healing.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/aedrics-warrior-magicka-build-templar-dd/

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shep941 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm pretty new to ESO (started playing console at launch) and am having trouble with my build.

I started with a 2hander stam build and added resto backup at level 15. Around level 30 I went to sword and board with resto backup. This seemed to work pretty well but after some research I decided it would be better to have both loadouts either based on stam or magica so I swapped to Destro/Resto with 70% of my points in magica and 30% in health. I'm level 42 now and having less success than I feel I had with sword and board.
    It will take some time to get use to the change, but hopefully with time it will start to feel more natural. In term of attributes, I've found splitting 50/05 between magicka and health has worked best for me. Some will say you don't need the extra health, but wearing all light armour I find that it comes in very handy at times.
    At endgame I want to be mainly a healer but want a dps spec as well.
    If this is something you'd like to do, then focusing on magicka skills and using primarily light armour will definitely help you.
    I've looked at the vampire builds but I really don't want to just run around spamming bats plus I'm not sure how effective that build is in pvp / endgame.
    Templars have by far the worst mobility of any class for PvP, and being a vampire can help in this regard. It would really be up to you to try and see if you liked it for yourself when the time comes.
    Thanks for any help / suggestions.

Cheers~!
    For damage, I use a combination of Aedric Spear, Dawn's Wrath, and Mages Guild skills, and it seems to work fairly well. They are: Blazing Spears, Reflective Light, Degeneration, Blazing Shield, & Radiant Magelight. Ultimate use whatever you like really, the Aedric Spear Ultimate can be very handy when facing a lot of melee range targets, and it helps mitigate damage, and is very cheap, you can almost use it every second battle.

These skills I commonly use when facing multiple enemies at once. But will also work quite well for single targets too. With no traditional heal, just ensure your Blazing Shield is renewed as soon as it explodes, and most of the time you'll hopefully be more than fine.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You should focus on either magicka or stamina but you should still use both power pools. If you're wanting a Templar DPS/Healer then I'd recommend going magicka DPS so you don't have to swap gear since healer should always be magicka, then even in DPS mode you can switch to your resto staff to do heavy attacks to regain magicka.

But being magicka based doesn't mean you have to use a destro staff, your weapon damage determines your weapon power AND SPELL POWER -- so as strange as it sounds, 2h and dual wield you actually have more spell power than using any ranged weapon.

You could make a DPS/healer without using any weapon abilities if you wanted. Blazing spears, Dark Flare, and Radiant Oppression (great execute ability) all buffed with Entropy is a viable bar for magicka DPS.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am playing around with a Redguard stamina DPS Templar (2 hander) wearing medium armor wiht ONLY self heals as templar skills
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend