Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mortifs and Luck

Ranmyaku
Ranmyaku
Soul Shriven
Is there some untold legend that foretold there'd be a player seemingly unable to find motifs?

I'm told the best and most common place to find any are in urns, backpacks, barrels, and crates all over Tamriel, be it dungeons, banks or the open world itself. However, from level 1 - VR1 and having done dungeons, delves, quests, and such...I must have searched literally thousands and never found any. Yet many friends and other players playing far more casually seem to find rare and common motifs like running water.

Are there areas you're more likely to find them? Or is it really just me versus RNG and losing badly?
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Barrels and crates actually have a very low chance if any at all to drop motifs. The highest chance for them is desks, nightstands, dressers, wardrobes, cabinets, cupboards and trunks. In dungeons, basically only urns and backpacks have ever yielded a motif for me, except for the dwemer pages, which come from any dwemer container (jugs, pots, etc.).

But yeah, RNG is a hellish mistress. While I have managed to acquire all motifs from drops, I am completely nirncrux-less. I so far found exactly 3 fortified ones and no potent. Since introduction of the trait and material, September 2014.
    Edited by Leandor on July 28, 2015 8:07AM
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a motif anywhere other than backpacks, desks, and nightstands. Trunks and urns I've seen recipes but never a motif.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Ranmyaku
    Ranmyaku
    Soul Shriven
    I've found some recipes here and there, maybe one purple/blue here and there, but 90% have been green recipes and even then some repeats.

As many urns and crates I've opened, I've opened ten times as many dressers, wardrobes and drawers...I guess the RNG just multiplies my chances by zero or something!

Here's hoping one day. Else, I'll have to spend my precious precious crowns.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    The highest chance for them is desks, nightstands, dressers, wardrobes, cabinets, cupboards and trunks.
    agree.gif
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    i have everymotif
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    "And lo though he may seeketh hither and tither upon the highest peaks and below in deepest depths. Within each narrow nook and lonely cranny. Verily, though he may leavest not a single stone unturned, forever shall he search in vain..."

So it was written by the gods of rng and so shall it be :D .
    Edited by Fruitmass on July 29, 2015 12:57AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • DerNase
    DerNase
    Pray some more to RNGesus ;)

I find the 9 "standard" motifs on a regular base. Mostly in cupboards and backpacks
    Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worse is when you start getting copies of what you already have. I suppose I'll head to VG in AD and start asking anyone to trade. I've got Khajiit and Wood Elf. Again.

I'm not too concerned about getting the "uppers" (Imperial, etc, though I did find Barbarian), I need Breton to cover the regular base. It's been a pain to find.

Oh, and I found out something really disappointing: those chests (et al) - yeah, they reset, making their contents random as well.
    >:[
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found two motifs from looting containers in the bugged Prisoner quest fort.

Most of my motifs I obtained for personal use and farmed for sale was pre-justice system by entering the bank in Daggerfall and looting all the desks etc. relog to reset the containers and repeat

now with the justice system its a little more tricky with having to loot in stealth
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend