Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question regarding Blacksmithing

Artfuldodger
Artfuldodger
✭✭✭
Having destructed some items, which were levels 36+ I got some ingots. They can be used to make armour and weapons from lvl 26 to 34 which is quite a bit below my current level. May seem an obvious question but are they now of no use? As in even if I gain more experience at Blacksmithing will they always be for that lvl? If so why were items I de constructed giving me ingots of a lower lvl? have not really got into Blacksmithing yet I normally just de-construct items as such my lvl is quite low.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
-Johnny Depp
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on your current blacksmith level.

You'll only get ores based on the weapon mat. If you break down steel, you'll get high iron. Ebon is ebony, and so on.

If you intend to do blacksmithing, you'll have to stock pile a boat load of lower level ore. Without it, you can't unlock the skill to craft with better ores. If you have no intention of doing blacksmithing, you can always sell the ingots you get.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on your plans for blacksmithing. You can get to lvl 50 blacksmithing relatively quickly by ONLY deconstructing and just selling everything else you get on the guild traders or to merchants. The alternative way is to make nothing but daggers in the highest level you can, and then either deconstruct them or better yet trade them with someone else trying to level blacksmithing because you get much more XP by deconstructing gear someone else made instead of gear you made.

For material (not raw material) the only reason you'd keep lower level than either your current character level or what you can currently make is if you're going to save it to make for other people, or for your alts.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Both answers helped a lot thank you. I think the biggest mistake I made was selling weapons instead of deconstructing when I was in the lower levels. I certainly break every down now, slightly confused as to why not all weapons I no longer need do not appear on the list when I go to deconstruct. I have been lucky in that I have had some great armour and weapon drops so not really needed to make anything, but I would like to be able to.

Thanks to you both.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    slightly confused as to why not all weapons I no longer need do not appear on the list when I go to deconstruct.

Even if they're in your bank they should show up, the only thing I can think of is if they are stolen (little red hand icon next to them) -- in which case you would have to launder the item at the fence before you can deconstruct it.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭

Even if they're in your bank they should show up, the only thing I can think of is if they are stolen (little red hand icon next to them) -- in which case you would have to launder the item at the fence before you can deconstruct it.

There have been a lot of weapons I have had to sell, not stolen, because they have not show as items I can deconstruct. Weapons of my lvl slightly higher or slightly lower. I can not see a reason why you should not be able to deconstruct any item that is not stolen.
    -Johnny Depp