The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What are your pet peeves when it comes to RPing in this game

Rioghnan
Rioghnan
✭✭✭
What really bakes your cookies? And if you want to, what are your thoughts on the following:

1. When someone is going mildly against lore. That is to say, they're not saying "My character fled Vaardenfel when Red Mountain erupted after the Oblivion Crisis and that's how he got to Coldharbour!" But they're saying, my character is half Dremora. Or I'm an Argonian who was taken in by a Dunmer family and raised like I was their child. Etc. Does that bug you?

2. If a character is not totally serious. I mean, they're not trying to be a troll and raging you, but in full character, my guy's personality is very weird and random in general and I wonder how much I annoy people by acting that way.

3. This is totally related to my character: How idiotic is it to make your character involved with/related to/otherwise entwined with a major NPC in a given storyline?
You die first!
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with your 1. and 2. but your 3. doesn't bug me. What really bugs me is when people make stupid names, my friends Argonian is called, "Lizzardtron". I know many people don't see names as important but I do.
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    Yea that's why I hate the gamertag-is-your-name stuff on PS4. If only my computer wasn't so pathetic.
    I've always put at least a little thought into my character names and I don't like that no one can even see them. To everyone else, I'm the goofy name my account is under which was not chosen by me :neutral:
    You die first!
  • Cherry
    Cherry
    ✭✭✭
    No thoughts on point 2, fully agreed on 3, that's generally hard to work with, but I'm mostly agreed on 1 - only if they don't back it up. Like in the Argonian example that's a thing that could conceivably happen on a very small scale, but they would have to take into account what that would be like for the Argonian. The Dunmer family would, what, have to pass their adoptee off as a young slave until the Pact dissolved that? It's a bad idea to paint every member of a culture with a broad brush, in reality or in fiction, but there are usually repercussions of some sort for those who go against it in a major way. If it was well-crafted I could get behind that Dunmer-raised Argonian character. If.
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    Rioghnan wrote: »
    Yea that's why I hate the gamertag-is-your-name stuff on PS4. If only my computer wasn't so pathetic.
    I've always put at least a little thought into my character names and I don't like that no one can even see them. To everyone else, I'm the goofy name my account is under which was not chosen by me :neutral:

That's weird, I'm exactly the same. My name on PSN is stupid and my little cousin chose it.I'd much rather my character name was visible instead. And while we're at it it sucks that pet names don't show up.
  • Halke
    Halke
    ✭✭✭
    What really bakes your cookies? And if you want to, what are your thoughts on the following:

1. When someone is going mildly against lore. That is to say, they're not saying "My character fled Vaardenfel when Red Mountain erupted after the Oblivion Crisis and that's how he got to Coldharbour!" But they're saying, my character is half Dremora. Or I'm an Argonian who was taken in by a Dunmer family and raised like I was their child. Etc. Does that bug you?

2. If a character is not totally serious. I mean, they're not trying to be a troll and raging you, but in full character, my guy's personality is very weird and random in general and I wonder how much I annoy people by acting that way.

3. This is totally related to my character: How idiotic is it to make your character involved with/related to/otherwise entwined with a major NPC in a given storyline?

1. Meh, if they can back it up, let them have it. If it comes out of left field and has no affect on the character, then it gets to me a bit. Like why not just be simpler in that case? You know?

2. I actually love characters like that, and we have a few. Used to have a guy that was with the Undaunted and had taken one too many hits to the head. I miss that crazy fool. We did get a lot of complaints out of guild about him though, but when we explained to people his backstory most of them were just like 'OH!' and went with it or actually seemed to like it.

3. Depends on how important said NPC is and how important that would make you. My rule of thumb: If your character would be so important or well known/visible that my character would look stupid for not knowing you the first time they meet, you need to tone it down.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me personally, as somewhat of a hardcore role-player that likes to stay in character all the time: When someone repeatedly replies out-of-character to in-character conversations. Though it doesn't annoy me so much as disappoints me.

In relation to your - the opening poster's - points:
    1. I don't mind really if it's mildly against the lore. If it's something ridiculously lore-breaking I take that an insight into the player's lack of sense/maturity, and generally the role-play they provide is less than enjoyable. But for the most part, small lore-inconsistencies don't bother me at all. I don't think anyone can say they know 100% of the lore, and I find in most circumstances of lore-breaking in the past, it's just been an honest mistake. I personally cringe when other role-players crucify someone for making a lore-mistake. It gives the community and play-style as a whole a bad name.
    2. Humour is often what drives memorable role-play moment-to-moment. Especially in terms of the random, emergent, free-form style of role-play (I.e. role-playing on the fly rather than it being pre-mediated by lengthy out-of-character conversations). For me wit and a great sense of humour is as attractive in-game as it is in real life.
    3. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it makes sense and can actually happen in the game lore, or does not exclude others in their role-play opportunities. For example, being an NPC's mother is something I'm against as it is something only one character can be. But being an NPC's second cousin or similar - if it makes sense that they would have an extended family - I have no problem with at all.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on July 13, 2015 6:31AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    1-3 Rather in agreement with everyone else.
    As long as someone can back up RP by not bastardizing the lore, then any and all types of personalities are openly welcomed in my book. Some of the most memorable characters are the ones that provide the well timed and crafted lines.

For me its not having the text speech option that the computer version has, or not enough slots for all the emotes I want to use without having to search through my magical backpack.
    *Ahhh yes that is where I left my ability to dance*
    Edited by Frozstee on July 13, 2015 3:19PM
    GT: Frozstee = Xbox - NA =
    "Bright Moons, and Sharp Claws my friends." - Zarum
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    I guess mine would be that it's not the kind of RP I find in Oblivion, and on my notepad. While I'd prefer to walk into a village in Eastmarch (or Windhelm), ask someone a question, maybe have a light conversation, and leave. . . Instead I decide on whether or not to do what I call socializing-- talking pleasantly without purpose for a great length of time. It's not so much a habit of others that I dislike, as just a pet peeve about one form of roleplaying.
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    You mean like you hate small talk? Coz so do I. I don't want to talk about how's the weather and you look lovely today, good to see you blah blah blah. I want to talk about funny stuff, string theory, astronomy, psychological problems, what happens after you die, and other weird shite. Lol
    Edited by Rioghnan on July 19, 2015 2:47PM
    You die first!
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Not really, as long as they have an explanation. I don't really mind if someone has a crazy character, as long as they can explain it adequately.

2. You meet so many strange people in RL, I cannot fathom why a not-totally-serious character would bother anyone. I have a character who has a stick with 'common sense' engraved on one side and 'shutup' engraved on the other, and she hits people with it. Do you know how much I'd love to do that? Goof off as much as you like!

3. As long as it's reasonable. "I saved Molag Bal's life and we're now buttbuddies" is a no, but "Ah, I remember seeing the Prophet once...what a day!" or something like that is fine by me. Even big bad heroes need to eat and get their hair cut.

As for pet peeves...

Typos. Really bad typos. I know someone who routinely typos she -> he. My god it is annoying.

Mixing OOC and IC. Just because I'm standing somewhere in the game doesn't mean I want to RP with you.

Those characters that never change. It's been four years and you're still a wimpy, happy go lucky weakling? Even Tasslehoff Burrfoot grew worldweary at times. (if you know the character I love you <3)

People who aren't OOCly considerate of IC. I've had one too many characters pair up with another character, only for the player to just disappear a week later. >.> <.< I've had some characters almost destroyed cause they keep getting abandoned *sniffle* Or, to be more specific, when an OOC player just plain disappears. There are a couple people who I keep outside contact with and know that life came up, etc etc. Anyway...

Okay, I ranted a little, but still :D

Also cookies :O!
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    Even Tasslehoff Burrfoot grew worldweary at times.

Also cookies :O!

Hahaha! The little four foot wonder, rather excellent Dragonlance name drop right there.

Also, Also Cookies! As in... you have, or you are wanting?

*does not plot in the shadows to steal the cookies*

• the7thGreyFox
    the7thGreyFox
    Soul Shriven
    I like to role-play and learn the lore in any game. In my opinion you should rp lore friendly. Going against the lore is annoying. Naming your character something silly is a bit annoying.

1. It may get on my nerves a little bit, it depends on what it is. The example you used, 'my character is half Dremora', would definitely get me annoyed a little. If it's only mild, it won't bother me. As long as they can explain it. Like, 'my character is half Dremora, or at least that's what she/he thinks. Really, Mephala brainwashed him/her into thinking it. Just to mess with him/her.' Then I would find that acceptable.
    2. I don't find that annoying at all. Quirks are one of the things that make your character interesting.
    3. Again it depends on what it is. Like, 'my character's parents are Mannimarco and Queen Ayrenn', then definitely not. But as long as it's not too extreme and would change the story then no.

Anyway that's my rant over :)
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    @the7thGreyFox Lore: IMHO If it doesn't say anywhere that it can't or didn't happen then it's possible (so long as the timeline, etc. matches up and it's logically and physically feasible)... The lore books say that there's no recorded cases of daedra/mortal hybrids but they also say there are rumours... So that one wouldn't bug me. Ayrenn might have shagged Mannimarco, who knows, I mean he's a guy, she's a girl, she's pretty, he was looking right fit in the trailer. Ye never know. LOL. (I'm kidding, unless she likes older men, I mean REALLY OLDER...) The stuff that bugs me is when it's clear that the person absolutely does not know TES lore AT ALL and hasn't even done one iota of research and they're trying to make it look like they know what they're talking about. Like if you don't know shite then admit it, say you don't know and don't care to find out. Or they try to put something that is absolutely ridiculous. "My character is a girl from Earth who is human but has cat ears and a tail and she woke up in Coldharbour." "I'm Tyrion Lannister" etc. I mean make it work in TES for fecks sake. It's not that hard. And outrageous Mary Sue stuff. Your character can be anything but please don't make them a freaking cheesyarse Mary Sue. God please. Like their life has been nothing but drama and tragedy, they're really a kidnapped princess, they are the prettiest and hottest, most talented whatever and all that. Or for guys they're a total one dimensional badass. That stuff bugs me.
    Edited by Rioghnan on July 26, 2015 12:45AM
    You die first!
  • the7thGreyFox
    the7thGreyFox
    Soul Shriven
    @Rioghnan, Yes I fully agree with you on the Mary Sue part. That gets annoying. And I have actually heard people saying their characters are human with cat ears and a tail in TES games. Which is kind of silly and ruins the lore. Honestly I didn't know that there were rumours of mortal/daedra hybrids. Learned something new there. But I definitely agree, it's not hard to make your character's backstory lore friendly. It's more fun, in my opinion. :)
  • Lleksu
    Lleksu
    ✭✭✭
    Can't roleplay as there's no text chat on consoles.

I simply can't pull off the gruff Nord voice my character deserves over voice chat :wink:
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    And I have actually heard people saying their characters are human with cat ears and a tail in TES games. Which is kind of silly and ruins the lore.

"If this one sees any other race pretending to be one of glorious Khajiit, they soon find how sharp this ones claws truly are!"
    -Zharum

^my Khajiit if you couldn't figure that one out :*