Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Senche Ambush?

Exhorn
Exhorn
Soul Shriven
Hello,

I was questing in Malabal Tor earlier and came across a guy (possibly tagged as a merchant) in the middle of nowhere, with a few dead bodies around him. I'm not sure on the exact location but it was somewhere west of Silvenar. As I approached him he said something like "They killed my family", after which I was ambushed by 2-3 senche. The npc died during the fight, but now I'm wondering if it was a random event or something important like a quest, where I should've tried to keep him alive. I couldn't find anything similar on Google so I have no idea if it even matters. Has anyone else come across this?
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't encountered that specific event, but yes, you'll often run into random NPC instances while exploring/questing. And no, they're not important or quest-related. I've commonly seen the one where two NPCs are arguing over a unlit campfire; I've approached the campfire, lit it for them, they thank me and sit down, and I'm rewarded with a temporary boost to my stamina pool. I've also seen the instances (all of which you can participate in/intervene) of mercenaries vs. traveling traders, mages summoning Daedra, a Wood Elf threatening a Khajiit for breaking the Green Pact, NPCs setting you up to be ambushed by pretending to need help, Cryomage vs. Pyromage showdown, etc. It's random and the outcome/your decision to participate has no impact on anything important.
  • Exhorn
    Exhorn
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I've seen all of the other ones. I just wasn't sure if this was something different as I couldn't find mention of it anywhere else.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    The senches were probably what "killed his family", and he was likely scripted to die anyway. I don't see why any "important" NPC would be randomly killed like that. I'll have to look for that one next time I'm in Malabal Tor.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a random event. You'll see them from time-to-time. I ran across a girl screaming "Help me" and when I went up to talk to her, I was ambushed by three bandits foolish enough to mess with me.

The bummer? She didn't even give me a kiss, though she did say "Thank you".