Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Cursed One: Drain Life is too OP.

Azurephoenix999
Azurephoenix999
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying Vault of Madness for the second time in the last 2 hours (made a thread previously as to why). Stuck on the first miniboss.

I'm my group's healer. Even with my buffed health and magicka (via food), I am completely unable to heal through this guy's OP Drain Life ability.

It's really frustrating me as whenever he targets someone, he keeps the beam up until they're dead, there doesn't seem to be a set duration for the ability. It also can't be interrupted, dodged, or blocked.
You simply have to endure the pain. The fact that his DPS is so high makes it even more annoying as it means that in order to stay alive, I have to heal CONSTANTLY. It drains my magicka until it runs out, and then I'm dead. It goes exactly the same way with my other group members.

Our group leader is VR1, and yet he's VR3 (the highest level in our group).

I can't even heal myself, and yet I'm supposed to be able to heal my whole team.

The only reason my previous group beat him was because two of them were Werewolves!

The worst part about this is that the only info I can find when I look online for this guy is that "his Drain Life ability is powerful". WELL THAT INFO WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL! IT'S NOT AS IF I ALREADY KNEW THAT!

We have room for 1 more person. We're XB1, EU, Ebonheart Pact. Can someone help us beat this MoFo?
Edited by Azurephoenix999 on July 27, 2015 2:38AM
Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE: Got 4th member, one of my current members disconnected so I'm back down to 3, I tried the dungeon again but I lagged out and disconnected in the first room. REALLY!? I CAN'T EVEN LOG BACK ON!!!
    Edited by Azurephoenix999 on July 27, 2015 2:38AM
  • Blackfirehawk
    We had the same issues with our healer.
    All players in your group must be able to self heal aswell.

Also becoming vampire and use the mist skill which will allow you to ignore 75% damage for 4 seconds would work.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try to kill him faster :) This boss doesn't have much health. When we do it, he usually dies before anyone of us gets killed.
    If this doesn't work, try to absorb the damage with the shield from the light armour tree and use breath of life for healing.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this a DPS tester ?
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been a while since the last time I did Vaults of Madness, and frankly I don't remember having any issues with this fight, but isn't his drain life ability a channel? Can't it be interrupted?
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beam is a damage splitter. The more damage you do to him when he's connected to your group mate the more damage your group mate takes as well. You can simply wait for the beam to wear off, or let your group member die then revive him or her. Blocking and interrupting doesn't work.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beam is a damage splitter. The more damage you do to him when he's connected to your group mate the more damage your group mate takes as well. You can simply wait for the beam to wear off, or let your group member die then revive him or her. Blocking and interrupting doesn't work.

So we can beat this guy by simply not attacking him when he does that!?

Why is this info nowhere to be found on any of the wiki's?
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Simple things like that arent put on wiki because after one/two wipes, if you actually analyse situation (instead of charging ahead and repeating same mistakes) you will figure out what is happening and what should be improved.

I was in situations where 1st and 2nd attempts on boss were complete wipes but after finding out what does what, and what killed us 3rd 4th run was successful.

also remember that heavy attacks refill magicka
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that makes sense. Since I don't remember this mechanic at all I have a feeling we might have just burned him down without worrying about the beam...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't Negate stop his Beam?

Drop that on him at the beginning of the fight and wail away. Although being a Boss, he may not be affected by Negate, not all of them are.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"