Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Earliest level without messing around with bow for vampire?

21jws10
21jws10
✭✭✭
Some background info, I'm an NB Tank, I use Sword and Board. I will not kite. I will kill one at a time preferably, so not to spend hours on the quest. Please don't scream at me for wanting to get it early, I personally, have NEVER tried it before, so it should be interesting.
PS4 | EU | falout565 | Looking for PvP group, messsage me, BWB
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by pppontus on July 17, 2023 7:07AM
  • 21jws10
    21jws10
    ✭✭✭
    @pppontus how long would it take me and what would I need, the char is only level 13 now so should it be alright? I've seen a few do it at 12.. I'd prefer to do it when I have weapon swapping. If I did it at level 15, would I be able to do it alright?
  • 21jws10
    21jws10
    ✭✭✭
    I would also prefer it if the quest didn't take me hours.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    I pretty much facerolled it on my lvl 20 DK Fire Mage. I semi-kinda-sorta-somewhat "facerolled" it on my lvl 12 Sorcerer, relying heavily on my summoned Volatile Familiar for tanking and damage; I don't doubt that I could have done it as early as lvl 8-10 one that one. Provided, both those alts are casters, so they naturally had an easier time.

What makes the quest difficult for a lower level is that all of the enemies are level 38. However, what makes it doable is that, while your abilities don't, the Vampire abilities gifted to you for the duration of the quest appear to scale to the enemies. The Drain ability is a must to use on each enemy, and the Bat Swarm ultimate can save you in a tough situation.

You don't have to "kite", as in use the running-up-the-stairs-and-use-bow/DOTs strategy, if you don't want to. And yet, I can say you will want to "kite" the enemies, as in keeping them where you want them and keeping them from being able to deal too much damage to you. Melee will be tough, but it's possible if you can manage to use a hit-and-run tactic. Any attack from any weapon will hardly tickle them at a low level though, so you'll likely be relying on abilities (which will still do mediocre damage but are better than a light attack from a sword). The more distance you can put between yourself and the enemies' attacks, the better.

The whole thing's set up so you can comfortably fight one at a time without alerting nearby enemies. The vampire Drain ability will take a decent chunk of their health (and restore yours) but it's not spammable. Use any ability at your disposal that immobilizes, stuns, or knocks down targets; if you can get those to proc, it will help immensely. If you can get your hands on some blue food/drink that increases at least your max health for ~1 hour and consume it right before you attack your first enemy, it makes the fight a lot easier. On my Sorc, I withdrew some random blue food from my guild bank that increased my health and magicka pool; I killed the first few enemies without it, then I used the food to make the quest go faster/easier. I also recommend allocating a few attribute points into health, if you don't already have some there.

Personally, I think a good "safe" low level for you to attempt it at is 15. You'd have access to weapon swapping at that point for more versatility. Just a recommendation. If you're determined, you can pull it off earlier; it will just take a tad longer and be more difficult. I never spent "hours" on the quest in either of my two cases; it honestly took less than an hour on my lvl 12. I planned on kiting, but got bored and decided plow forward. It worked out fine.

If all else fails, you can leave the quest area and return once you've leveled up a bit more. You have seven days to complete the quest before having to re-contract the disease.
  • 21jws10
    21jws10
    ✭✭✭
    Well, hardest part is getting bit, 15k down the drain so far!
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @21jws10 Indeed, getting bit is a pain. I got scammed once for 4000 and had to pay 7500 for my latest bite (which could be considered quite cheap). My first Vamp (the one that got scammed) did manage to get an ultra-rare free bite after standing around at the shrine for a few hours. The WW community is so much nicer when it comes to bites.