Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some Group Dungeon Questions

Zephyr01
Zephyr01
✭✭
I started a Group and began a Dungeon Quest but it was very difficult, and when one person dropped out it was impossible to go any further so the remaining three of us left and we Disbanded the Group. The Quest is still showing as available in my Journal and keeps going up in level as I do.

Question 1: If I Abandon the Quest can I redo it at a later time, or is it permanently cancelled?

Question 2: If I am able redo it later after Abandoning it will it reset to the level I am when I accept the Quest again?

Question 3: When in a Group can everyone Accept the Quest or just the Leader?

Question 4: Does a Group Dungeon set the enemy levels to the highest level of the person in the Group, the lowest level or does it settle on an average level?
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the quest goes it will level up as you level up because it's a dungeon & dungeons are based on your level. You can drop the quest & pick it up again when you return to that dungeon but it will be on the set level you are at the time. Any one can get the quest as long as they haven't already completed it. & dungeon level to the leader of the group but you will only get exp if you are with in 5 levels of the enemies
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    1.) Yes, you can pick the quest up later if you abandon it. No worries.

2.) The quest should scale to whatever level you are, but the dungeon itself will scale to the group leader's level. So, for example, if you are level 25 and another player at level 21 is the group leader, the enemies in the dungeon will all be level 21.

3.) Everyone can (and should always) accept the quest.

4.) The dungeon and the enemies in it will scale to group leader's level upon entering the instance. If the lead is passed to another player after you have entered the dungeon, the dungeon will still remain scaled to the original group leader.
    Edited by Sandshark95 on July 24, 2015 10:00PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes, if you abandon it you can start over the next time you get a group together to do the dungeon. Personally I had this happen on one of my characters, and I decided not to abandon the quest so that it would stay in my journal as a reminder that I need to go back and do it, but that's just me.
    2. Yes, it will. With a group dungeon quest, though, the level of the enemies that you fight may not be the same as the level of the quest, as they are scaled to the level of the group leader. If you are the group leader, then it will be scaled to you, but otherwise they will either be at the minimum level for that particular dungeon, or the level of the group leader, whichever is higher.
    3. Yes, as long as they haven't already completed the quest. When one person picks up the quest, the others should get a notification asking if they want to join the quest. This can be a bit buggy, though, and doesn't always happen. In those cases, whoever actually got the quest can try to share it with the group, and they should then get the quest.
    4. I already talked about this above, but they are set to the level of the group leader, or to the lowest level that that particular dungeon will scale to (so level 12 for the first rank of group dungeons, and I don't remember the minimum levels for the other ranks of group dungeons), whichever is higher. It's worth noting that if you change the group leader while you're inside the dungeon, it won't change the level of the enemies - you would all have to exit the dungeon and go back in for changes to be made.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    lots of correct answers here, so I'm not going to repeat them. Just some generic advice.

dungeons are (atleast till you are close to the end of the game), the hardest and most challenging part of the game. They are daunting and made to be not easy (and also optional to do). So don't let a single bad experience ruin your day. specially with pick up groups this can happen. Feel free to try again. It might be that it is your build, so be open minded bout it, but most of all...Be willing to learn.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    lots of correct answers here, so I'm not going to repeat them. Just some generic advice.

dungeons are (atleast till you are close to the end of the game), the hardest and most challenging part of the game. They are daunting and made to be not easy (and also optional to do). So don't let a single bad experience ruin your day. specially with pick up groups this can happen. Feel free to try again. It might be that it is your build, so be open minded bout it, but most of all...Be willing to learn.
    An excellent point by @Ranique here. I'd add that once you start doing the vet dungeons (based on your questions I'm assuming you're fairly new to group dungeons and therefore doing the regular versions) you're going to see another massive jump in difficulty. Again, don't be discouraged, but be open to changing your build around (what has worked well for you up to that point may not be good enough for vet dungeons), and be open to trying different tactics - many of the fights have specific mechanics that you need to learn, and require you to switch up your approach.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

I still don't understand why the enemies were so much more difficult in this Dungeon than the two others I've done - actually, it wasn't that each individual enemy was difficult, it's just that there were so many of them that we were quickly overwhelmed.
    Also, I was lvl 45, the next person was lvl 47 and the other two were Veterans, so if the dungeon scaled to me should've we have found it easier?

And yes, I'm new to Groups and MMOs. But the thing I learned fast was that everyone in the Group really needs a headset because there isn't time to stop and text - or if they don't have a headset to stick together and use common sense. In all three of the Dungeons the Group splintered - almost on entry - as each person ran off and 'did their own thing' leaving others to die, which then led to people dropping out. And I've also noticed that in each of the three Dungeons I was the only one to actually accept the Quest - and in the other two Groups I wasn't the Leader.
    *Sigh* I don't like being Leader because I don't have the experience, but sometimes there seems to be several people waiting around but no-one wants to ask anyone to join them, lol.

Again, I thank you for your help.

Oh, another quick question: If the Dungeon says that a Group of four is required, will a larger Group, say six, be accepted?
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    If the dungeon had been scaled to you, then yes, it probably would have been a bit easier. But the sheer number of enemies in the dungeon still would've proved a challenge, even for the vets.

You can sometimes get away with running dungeons with headsetless randoms without too much trouble, provided those randoms use, as you said, "common sense". Headsets certainly do make dungeons much less of a hassle though. Communication is key.

As for your last question, I believe 4 players is the maximum. Four isn't the minimum, however. You can technically enter and progress through the dungeon with less than 4, or even by yourself (good luck with that! Lol), so 4 isn't "required". Highly recommended, but not required. I've actually completed a dungeon with just three (lvl 20, 16, and 12, scaled to the 16 with the 20 doubling as tank/healer).
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zephyr01 wrote: »
    as each person ran off and 'did their own thing' leaving others to die

Lol. Well there's a major part of the problem right there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen across so many games.

In dungeons it's important to stick together. Creatures found in group dungeons are designed to engage four people so they're tougher than creatures found in the overworld. Unless your excessively overpowered, taking them on alone would be ill advised.

It's also important in order to avoid patrolling enemies and minimize unintentional pulls which can end up wiping the group. Many times groups of enemies tend to be clustered together into very tight areas. If everyone's spread out too far chances are your going to start pulling more than you can handle. And rarely do dungeon enemies drop agro so outrunning them is pretty much a non option.

Not to mention if you wander off and get the attention of a group of mobs (even if it's all the way over on other side of the dungeon) and get yourself killed, chances are those enemies are going to run all the way over to the rest of your teammates. When this happens they may or may not drag other mobs along with them. Depending on just how many enemies get dragged over and what your teammates are doing this can also cause a wipe.

So always, always, always stay together. It makes life a lot easier.

On a side note, most times the role of party leader just designates the person who started the group. I've seen plenty of times when the group leader was less experienced than the rest of the party. It happens and it's no big deal. So you'll be fine chief.
    Edited by Fruitmass on July 25, 2015 7:17AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your support, Fruitmass.

It's good to know I'm not the only one upset about Group Dungeons and people in said Group behaving badly.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eh, most folks are alright. You'll always get a few who misbehave but on average the good out weigh the bad. Don't let a few bad apples get you down. There's a lot of really nice people out there and once you find them it can make the game much more enjoyable.
    Edited by Fruitmass on July 25, 2015 10:31AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    I've met a handful of excellent people, so yes, I know they're out there.