Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Playstation 4 EU warewolf bites scam warning

Rokiisun
Rokiisun
✭✭
There is a user which I have already reported to Bethesda for this who seems to be using multiple psn accounts scamming people for warewolf bites just outside of Fort Sphinxmoth.

He bascically conned myself and a few others out of 5,000 gold each in trades to get a free bite. He uses a microphone and calls out, 'Who wants to be a warewolf? Five thousand before, five thousand after.' Then when you add him to a group he declines, dissapears then reappears with another account doing the same thing but for weapons, not gold. I'm not going to drop psn names because I just want people to be aware.

I knew he was scamming and wasn't exactly going to miss 5,000 gold out of 16,000 to test this, but it sure scared off the other players he could have easily scammed. I stuck around at the shrine for a good ten minutes warning players and calling him out, saying, 'Bethesda is going own your ass for scamming. If I had a warewolf bite I would give it for free.'
Three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth.

High elf, Veteran rank 3, Dragon knight, AD, PS4, EU.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    I would love to know if Bethesda/Zenimax actually does anything about it. I doubt they will though.
  • Rokiisun
    Rokiisun
    ✭✭
    Probably not. It's usually myself and other players with microphones that tend to do the job for them by calling out the scammers and losing our own coin in the process to prove a point.

I knew he was scamming, but was stupid and curious to see if a scammer actually does give you what they promise - like I said, I decided before doing this that losing 5,000 was no big deal if it was going to expose a scammer - all they do is pretend to attack your character, then move onto the next person.

I just thought I would voice this technique they use so that others are aware.

• Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    I agree that voicing the information about scammers is the correct thing to do. I would have done it myself if I ran into one, but in my guild all bites are free - you just have to wait your turn.
  • gkspcg_ESO
    gkspcg_ESO
    ✭✭
    Good job on letting people know. This is a major problem on the Xbox One as well. We just need to keep reporting the scammers and hope they do something about it those players soon.
  • Rokiisun
    Rokiisun
    ✭✭
    I got bitten by another player out of the blue for free a few hours later. I'm going to use my bites in the same way by biting random players for free who I see hanging around the shrines for bites.

Remember, you only get one bite a week as well so be wary if you see a player being bitten by someone and then being asked by the biter for coin claiming they have multiple bites. Also, if you see the same players hanging around the shrine as warewolfs (or vampires if it's the vampire shrine) for a good number of hours then that's also another giveaway.

There was one genuine player last night who did bite someone after asking for coin and then when another player asked to be bitten too in exchange for gold they said, 'Sorry, I only get one bite a week'.

So yes, there are genuine people out there who are just innocently trying to make a bit of coin not really trying to scam anybody or being fully aware that their act of goodwill could be giving ammunition to surrounding scammers in gaining other players' trusts; only then to then decieve them. I guess this act of goodwill could, in a way, even be considered scamming too as players really shouldn't be asking for gold in exchange for a bite in the first place, but that's just my opinion on the subject, others may disagree with me and say it's a fair trade to get gold in exchange for a bite, but at a gamble.