Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does Slotting More Skills = More XP for that Skill Line

Xulienne
Xulienne
Hey Guys, can anyone tell me if I slot more skills from a certain skill line tree on my ability bar, do I earn more XP towards that skill line when questing, etc.?

I am trying to level my Soul Magic skill line. I have 1 skill from that tree slotted and it just seems to be moving sooo slowly. Any help on leveling a certain skill line would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Swannkyy
    Swannkyy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the more abilities on your bar the faster it levels, BUT, soul magic is leveled by finishing main story quests, not by earning XP! :)
  • Xulienne
    Xulienne
    Ah hah! Thank you!!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, even for the skill lines where the line itself levels on a mechanism other than having the skills on your bar (off the top of my head the skill lines with alternate mechanisms are Soul Magic, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Undaunted, Werewolf, Assault, and Support), the individual active skills in those skill lines are leveled by having them on your bar while earning XP.

So, as an example, if you want to get your Mages Guild skill line up to the max level of 10 putting Entropy on your bar isn't going to help with that - you're going to have to find lore books to get there. If you want to level Entropy so you can morph it into Structured Entropy, however, it'll have to be on your bar while you earn XP.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Atlaz
    Atlaz
    ✭✭
    I got a lot of soul exp from filling empty gems.
    "Bretons are renowned and talented craftsmen, shrewd merchants, gallant cavaliers, and inventive wizards. They can also be proud and quarrelsome."
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlaz wrote: »
    I got a lot of soul exp from filling empty gems.
    That doesn't provide any XP toward progression of the Soul Magic skill line - the only thing that levels the skill line itself is doing the main story solo quests. You may have leveled up a specific Soul Magic active skill (either Soul Trap or Soul Strike) that was on your bar that way, but it's not actually filling the gems that did it, it's getting XP for the kills you got while filling the gems.

Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)