Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Itemization for the Imperial City DLC & Base-Game Patch

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Since the announcement of the Imperial City DLC game pack and corresponding base-game patch, we’ve received many great questions about itemization and how it will work when the new content is implemented. We addressed some of your questions during the live Imperial City and Beyond ESOTU QuakeCon panel today. As a follow-up, we’ve provided some of the same information in a bit more detail, below. If you have any questions about the contents of this post, please reply—we’ll do our best to answer!

What are all the ways I can get VR15 and VR16 gear?
There are a variety of ways you can obtain VR15 and VR16 equipment, from crafting to PVE to PVP. Here are all the places and ways you can obtain VR15 and VR16 gear:
  • Bosses and mini-bosses in existing dungeons that are scaled-up to VR15 or VR16
  • Monsters in the Imperial City
  • Monsters in the new dungeons (Imperial City Prison and White-Gold Tower)
  • Tel Var merchants
  • Crafting
    • VR15 and VR16 versions of existing craftable items
    • Three new sets created at the special crafting stations in the Imperial City
  • Trophy Vaults in the Imperial City
  • Cyrodiil Rewards for the Worthy (improved versions of 11 existing sets)
  • VR15 and VR16 Undaunted pledges (new and existing dungeons)

What types of VR15 and VR16 gear will there be?
There are new item sets, and VR15 and VR16 versions of existing sets. 21 of the new item sets are full 7-piece sets (you only need 5 pieces to get the awesome set bonus, though!) Here is a break-down of where you get them:
  • 6 new complete item sets in the White-Gold Tower
  • 6 new complete item sets in the Imperial City Prison
  • 6 new complete item sets from Tel Var merchants
  • 3 new complete item sets are crafted at the special crafting stations in the Imperial City

There are two new monster mask/shoulder sets available from the two new dungeons (Imperial City Prison and White-Gold Tower.) As with all mask/shoulder sets, the masks drop in the dungeons, and the shoulders come out of gold Undaunted pledge chests.
  • Additionally, all existing dungeons scale up to VR15 and VR16, and drop equivalent scaled-up versions of the current monster masks. The corresponding VR15 and VR16 versions of existing monster shoulders have a chance to drop out of gold Undaunted pledge chests.

Three new jewelry mini sets have a chance to drop in existing scaled-up dungeons and Trophy Vaults in the Imperial City.

Eleven revamped existing item sets will be available in Cyrodiil Rewards for the Worthy bags.

Also, normal item drops (not set items) from scaled-up existing dungeons will scale with character level.

In general, what will be bind-on-pickup? What won't?
The 12 new dungeon item sets and three mini jewelry sets are bind-on-pickup. The six Tel Var item sets and three new crafted sets are bind-on-equip. You can trade and sell the new crafting materials, Tel Var item sets, and crafted sets.

Can I craft VR15 and VR16 gear? If so, how/where do I get the new materials?
Yes, you can craft VR15 and VR16 gear—this includes existing craftable items, and the three new craftable sets. You can get the new materials needed to craft VR15 and VR16 items from the Tel Var merchants. You also have a chance to get them any time you deconstruct a VR15 or VR16 item.

Can I get the Xivkyn and Glass Style crafting items through deconstructing?
Yes, you have a chance of getting Charcoal of Remorse (Xivkyn) when you deconstruct any Xivkyn style equipment (crafted or dropped.) You can also purchase Charcoal of Remorse from Tel Var merchants in your alliance’s base in the Imperial Sewers. Charcoal of Remorse can be traded and sold to other players.

You also have a chance to get a full piece of Malachite (Glass) when you deconstruct any Glass equipment, though Glass equipment can only be crafted. Full pieces of Malachite are created with Malachite Shards, which are obtained from treasure chests throughout the world. Ten Malachite Shards refine to create one piece of Malachite. Malachite Shards can be traded and sold to other players. Malachite itself is not tradeable or sellable.

Where/How can I get the very best VR16 gear in the game?
Which gear is the "best" is truly subjective based on your preferred playstyle, build, and the type of content you most play. In the end, we didn’t design any of the new sets to be better than the others; we tried to make them all interesting and viable.

Do the Undaunted helms and shoulders now come in VR15 and VR16 versions? If so, what dungeons/pledges can I do to get them?
Yes, there are VR15 and VR16 versions of all the existing Undaunted mask and shoulder sets. They have a chance to come out of any gold Undaunted pledge chest and from any dungeon scaled-up to VR15 or VR16. The two new Undaunted mask/shoulder sets only come from the new Imperial City dungeons.

What is being added to the new Rewards for the Worthy bags with the release of the Imperial City base-game patch?
Rewards for the Worthy bags now have a chance to drop VR15 and VR16 item sets. These items sets are improved versions of 11 existing sets.

Will the elite PVP vendors be getting new items with the release of the Imperial City base-game patch?
No, but we did significantly reduce the AP cost of Grand Soul Gems.

How can I get the new Xivkyn and Glass Style Motifs?
Xivkyn motif Chapters can be found in the Imperial City Trophy Vaults. They can be sold and traded with other players. There is also a low chance for the full Xivkyn motif Book to drop from the bosses in the Imperial City (in the open world, not dungeons.)

To get Glass Style Motif Chapters, you must first obtain Glass Style Motif Fragments. You have a chance of getting Glass Style Motif Fragments any time you complete a Clothier, Woodworking, or Blacksmith crafting writ (the higher tiers of crafting, the better chance.) You then combine 10 Glass Style Motif Fragments with Merethic Restorative Resin (sold in the Mages Guild locations) to create a Glass Motif Chapter. Very rarely, you may also be lucky and get the full Glass Motif Book when you perform a Glass Style Motif Fragment combination. The Glass Style Motif Fragments, Glass Style Motif Chapters, and Glass Style Motif Book can all be traded and sold to other players.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New sets!

Will you be talking about the new costumes and polymorphs soon?

Also, Is Soul Shriven skin classed as a costume or polymorph?
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see more skins in the future.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the currently existing PvP vendor sets we have in our inventory upgrade to the revamped PvP sets with the IC update?
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to all the new gear!

Is any of this stuff (Motifs) found in the Crown Store?
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there a list (or amount) or existing sets that have been revised?
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

Says 11 revamped sets in the post above it doesn't say which ones
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »

Says 11 revamped sets in the post above it doesn't say which ones
    "Cyrodiil Rewards for the Worthy (improved versions of 11 existing sets)"

But that only appears to be sets dropped from Rewards for the Worthy (which I'm assuming means vendor bags?)
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will PvP bags / elite vendor be scaled to v16? I might of missed it but I can't see it D: sorry if it's there, or can you only get them from rewards of the worthy?
    Will they be bind on equip or bind on pick up if so
    #MOREORBS
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What types of VR15 and VR16 gear will there be?
    There are new item sets, and VR15 and VR16 versions of existing sets. 21 of the new item sets are full 7-piece sets (you only need 5 pieces to get the awesome set bonus, though!) Here is a break-down of where you get them:
    • 6 new complete item sets in the White-Gold Tower
    • 6 new complete item sets in the Imperial City Prison
    • 6 new complete item sets from Tel Var merchants
    • 3 new complete item sets are crafted at the special crafting stations in the Imperial City

Does the part I bolded mean the new sets are the 7 armor slots only? No jewelry or weapons? I know there are some "mini-jewelry sets" mentioned, but those sound like jewelry only. Sets that include both jewelry and weapons and armor are the most desired in the game for their flexibility. If none of these new sets mix together armor and jewelry and weapons, that sounds like an immediate itemization fail. :-(

• TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Will the elite PVP vendors be getting new items with the release of the Imperial City base-game patch?
    No, but we did significantly reduce the AP cost of Grand Soul Gems."

Will the vendors have v16 gear and bags though?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Edited by TheBull on July 25, 2015 12:02AM
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings! These are the Ask Us Anything questions from our show today for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!

Argoniawind: Will you guys make a Daedroth pet and a summoning feature like I was able to do in Morrowind and Oblivion? Also I would love to see shirts and a plushy Daedroths... Daedroths need to be a bigger part of this game!!!
    There’s actually an item set you can gain from the Undaunted called Maw of the Infernal that summons a daedroth for 15 seconds. You don’t see him around much because the set isn’t quite powerful enough. We’ll be addressing this in the next major update. In terms of a daedroth plushie, we haven’t announced what our next plushie will be, but keep the suggestions coming!

Is this fix still slated for the Imperial City patch!?!?!!!! Inquiring minds want to know :mrgreen: .

P.S. @ZOS_KaiSchober, thanks for the quick answer at the end of the Quakecon Twitch stream in chat earlier... appreciated it. :)

EDIT: @ZOS_JessicaFolsom where is my daedroth? :cry:

pEtatDY.jpg

He only visits so rarely... :).
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 25, 2015 1:13AM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    What about DSA/VDSA? Can we scale this up to VR15/16 and get VR15/16 drops from this now?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, any AP we currently have is essentially worthless for using to get anything new or vr15/16?

Do you guys plan on replacing gold with something else in a future patch and making the gold we've saved worthless as well?
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glass armor. Sooooo.... there are 34 items you can craft, 10 motif fragments each, making 340 fragments. You can get a maximum of three fragments per day until you finish woodworking 50 days later, then are limited to two per day. The earliest anyone can possibly get the whole book without the crown store is 145 days after launch, 5 months later.
    I don't want to see the glass motif in the crown store any sooner than that.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Kronosphere
    Kronosphere
    ✭✭✭✭
    So with the new crafted armor sets do you need all traits including nirnhoned to craft them? also just to clarify v15 and 16 gear is made with something higher than voidstones/voidcloth/shadowhide? or is it just a diff motif material?
    ~House Indoril~
    Submit to the three, the spirits and thy lords.

• Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading through this actually made me less interested in this next update. Trying to think of something positive to say, but all I can be is honest. If this trend continues with each content update, I don't think I can remain interested in the game :( More player levels and long gear grinds just turn me off from sticking to a game. I hope the imperial city will at least be fun enough to stick around there for a bit, even though I rarely PvP.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drazhar14 wrote: »
    Reading through this actually made me less interested in this next update. Trying to think of something positive to say, but all I can be is honest. If this trend continues with each content update, I don't think I can remain interested in the game :( More player levels and long gear grinds just turn me off from sticking to a game. I hope the imperial city will at least be fun enough to stick around there for a bit, even though I rarely PvP.
    huh? Isn't that the point of an MMO? character progression ... more things to do?
    #MOREORBS
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So with the new crafted armor sets do you need all traits including nirnhoned to craft them? also just to clarify v15 and 16 gear is made with something higher than voidstones/voidcloth/shadowhide? or is it just a diff motif material?

It's a new and higher material that is only obtained by deconstruction of vr15 and vr16 item drops etc. They are not harvestable in the game world as nodes like current ones are such as logs or plants.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom please tell us what about PVP-bags for ap?
    you will add vr16 version of them too? pelase
  • Kronosphere
    Kronosphere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drazhar14 wrote: »

what do you have in mind? I mean, what did you hope dlc/updates would be like? other tes games didnt have level caps like this but even fallout games add new area + new gear + few more levels and perks with them. how is this any different?

your post kinda reads as "I dont want them to ever add anything i just want the current content and nothing more" so if you could explain to me your thinking that would be good.

and on a seperate note. another question. does this mean we will still get trash green items from random pvp mails and the chance at this stuff or are we finally getting rid of the trash stuff from rewards from the worthy? even gold and a soul gem would be better than vendor trash
    Edited by Kronosphere on July 25, 2015 5:42AM
    ~House Indoril~
    Submit to the three, the spirits and thy lords.

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RazzPitazz wrote: »
    Glass armor. Sooooo.... there are 34 items you can craft, 10 motif fragments each, making 340 fragments. You can get a maximum of three fragments per day until you finish woodworking 50 days later, then are limited to two per day. The earliest anyone can possibly get the whole book without the crown store is 145 days after launch, 5 months later.

This will probably work like the Dwemer chapters, so you have 15 chapters instead of 34.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Im curious to see how many traits are required to craft the new sets. Ive heard there will be some new traits so it could even be more than 9 traits. In the meantime I will make sure Ive reseached 9 traits on most items, just to be sure.

Edited by Septimus_Magna on July 25, 2015 6:24AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can craft VR15 and VR16 gear—this includes existing craftable items, and the three new craftable sets. You can get the new materials needed to craft VR15 and VR16 items from the Tel Var merchants. You also have a chance to get them any time you deconstruct a VR15 or VR16 item.

So, no non-PVP way to obtain VR15/16 crafting mats, did I read that right?

Worse, no non-group-or-die method for the player who hates having to 'group up' all the time to be able to progress their crafting?

Welcome to the 1990s style of MMORPG.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 25, 2015 6:35AM
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be utterly shocked if they didn't add the glass motif book into the crown store almost immediately tbh, their whole point with this is to make the slog to get the finished product complicated enough that it encourages players to just buy the motif from the crown store.

What do you mean by finishing woodworking?
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭

This will probably work like the Dwemer chapters, so you have 15 chapters instead of 34.

Possibly, and hopefully so.
    MrGhosty wrote: »

I would be utterly shocked if they didn't add the glass motif book into the crown store almost immediately tbh, their whole point with this is to make the slog to get the finished product complicated enough that it encourages players to just buy the motif from the crown store.

What do you mean by finishing woodworking?
    The woodworKing items are the fewest of the crafting skills with only 6 items made of wood. If you were to receive a Fragment everyday through the woodworking wit, this is the set that would finished first.
    Edited by RazzPitazz on July 25, 2015 7:16AM
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • FooWasHere
    FooWasHere
    ✭✭✭
    There has been speculation in, and a lot of us were hoping for, an update of the (since 1.6) obsolete trials sets. Sets like the Wise Mage e.g. But I take it that no other sets than the mentioned 11 PvP reward sets gets an update in the IC patch. Can you confirm this @ZOS_JessicaFolsom ?
    -Foo
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why only 3 a day? They come from writs, so you can get as many of them as you have characters. Or do the writs have some internal limitation of the number of rare drops per account?
    And we don't know how many chapters there are, it's likely to be divided the same way as the Dwemer motif.
    Edited by Rosveen on July 25, 2015 8:28AM
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »

So, no non-PVP way to obtain VR15/16 crafting mats, did I read that right?

Worse, no non-group-or-die method for the player who hates having to 'group up' all the time to be able to progress their crafting?

Welcome to the 1990s style of MMORPG.
    You can do any dungeon scaled to v16 to get v16 gear which you can deconstruct to get v16 mats. And if you don't want to group, you can still solo normal dungeons to get v16 gear.

As there are more than 11 PvP sets, which of those can be obtained as v16 and why are there some that don't scale to v16?

As you didn't mention PvP end of campaign rewards, will they not scale to v16?
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    "Will the elite PVP vendors be getting new items with the release of the Imperial City base-game patch?
    No, but we did significantly reduce the AP cost of Grand Soul Gems."

Will the vendors have v16 gear and bags though?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Would like to know this as well. Can I buy v16 gear with AP, be it from vendors or through boxes?
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the old dungeon based sets like Ebon, Wormcult etc be added as VR15/16 drops as well?
    I have always been slightly bothered by the fact these sets were never released at the highest tier with each release.

Edit:

Also will we in this patch or a future one see item sets which max at at low levels like 28, 40 etc be updated to VR so every set can be used at end game.
    Edited by Turelus on July 25, 2015 11:40AM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."