Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Using Potions in Quickslots during battle? (on console)

xerasia
xerasia
✭✭✭
(I can't seem to find this information for console players, only PC. I play on Xbox One fwiw.)

I have some potions assigned to my quickslots but it seems I can never use them during battle. I am familiar with activating quickslots as I use assigned emotes frequently, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I press up on the D-pad, the wheel comes up, I use the right thumbstick to highlight the potion, release and...nothing. I die. What gives? Thanks!
Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP

Best Answer

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    xerasia wrote: »
    Thanks, Mikey & Jackie. Jackie - that's exactly what I'm trying to do but to no avail.

It's good to know that it's working for others though.

I'm wondering if I just have crap potions slotted so I'm not noticing the effect. Entirely possible since I slotted them when I first started the character and never bothered to use it until recently, 21 lvls later. I'm not sure what I've got there, but if it's a sip-o-somethin I'm sure I won't notice it's effect. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Alright - thanks, team! Happy questing and battling to you all!

I think you just answered your own question. The "sip of" potions are for very low level characters. If you are now 20 levels higher than when you acquired these potions, they will probably only move your health/stamina/magicka bars a tiny bit. You probably don't even notice because your total pool of health is so much higher and/or the enemy has already hit you again for more than the potion healed (or alternatively, you've used an ability that cost more mana than the potion restored).

Hopefully when you try some potions for your level, you will see an immediate difference. Good luck :)

Answer ✓
  • MikeyV611
    MikeyV611
    Is it possible that you're in cooldown mode and can't use another potion?
  • OhItsReckt
    OhItsReckt
    ✭✭
    Make sure that you actually have THAT potion on you. I ran into that problem a lot after hotkeying a different potion with the same picture.
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm in cooldown since I'm unable to take the potion at all...however, I usually buff with food/drink before I enter a dungeon...would that prevent me from using potions if I have active buffs?

Noted , OhItsReckt, about the inventory of the potions. The ones I have slotted I know I have multiples of.
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • MikeyV611
    MikeyV611
    I could be wrong, but I believe certain potions have a cooldown that prevent you from using any other potions. Maybe the pot buff has a long cooldown and is preventing other potions.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    When you press up on the d pad and then another direction to select a potion that just puts the potion into your quick slot. You have to press up on the d pad again to consume it. You can put your most used potion in the quick slot out of combat so that in combat you just have to press up on the d pad once to drink it.
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mikey & Jackie. Jackie - that's exactly what I'm trying to do but to no avail.

It's good to know that it's working for others though.

I'm wondering if I just have crap potions slotted so I'm not noticing the effect. Entirely possible since I slotted them when I first started the character and never bothered to use it until recently, 21 lvls later. I'm not sure what I've got there, but if it's a sip-o-somethin I'm sure I won't notice it's effect. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Alright - thanks, team! Happy questing and battling to you all!

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    to use tap the D up, to change hold the D up
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Allso you can use one if moveing
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    After to hold down to select you have to tap the up button while its slotted it use it. Think of it as an ability. You put it Lmk your bar but press the button to use it.
    XBL GT: CWB Hempire
    Bright moons guide your steps.
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the help, everyone. As suspected, I had low-level potions slotted so that's why I wasn't noticing the effect at all. Appreciate all of your suggestions and I'm glad we had this talk!

Find me on NA Xbox, EP if you want to quest or rage some dungeons - gamertag: PaisleyCoyote11
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xerasia wrote: »
    (I can't seem to find this information for console players, only PC. I play on Xbox One fwiw.)

I have some potions assigned to my quickslots but it seems I can never use them during battle. I am familiar with activating quickslots as I use assigned emotes frequently, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I press up on the D-pad, the wheel comes up, I use the right thumbstick to highlight the potion, release and...nothing. I die. What gives? Thanks!

That's to select a different potion, to use potion tap up on dpad quickly, the icon will grey out and start a timer it will refill the colour to indicate that
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    yes, that entire mechanic for the consoles is quite stupid and makes most potions useless. I really wish they would provide a different way of doing potions.

The only potion I ever hotkey is health. All other potions/food are just in my inventory and i will use them from there before the battle - never while in battle.
    Edited by Pyro117 on July 24, 2015 4:31PM
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyro117 wrote: »
    yes, that entire mechanic for the consoles is quite stupid and makes most potions useless. I really wish they would provide a different way of doing potions.

The only potion I ever hotkey is health. All other potions/food are just in my inventory and i will use them from there before the battle - never while in battle.

But if you quick wheel them you don't have to enter your inventory, you just select from wheel hit up, select back to health for battles