Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's pretty hard to play the stealth game in ESO

Basil_oz
Basil_oz
✭✭✭
With Oblivion and Skyrim I have usually adopted a melee character that uses stealth to approach enemies and claim the surprise attack perk in obliterating the enemy. They never see it coming!

However, in ESO it is just that little bit harder to apply a stealth mode in a similar fashion.

I have found myself sneaking up on a target to all of a sudden have a fire ball whiz past my ear and three peeps come rushing by me in a full blooded roar intent on slaughtering the prey that I was stalking. My sneaking ways have quickly turned into a run at the same target in a hope that I might get there in time to claim a random slash or two at the overwhelmed victim.

If anyone has watched the Walking Dead series, they would be aware of a recent episode where a group of guys would state the word "claimed" if they wanted something. I found myself continually yelling "CLAIMED... CLAIMED" at the monitor, but I'm afraid to no avail.

In essence, the ESO (as with most MMO worlds) becomes a "get in there quick if you want the spoils" type arena (I don't mind this: MMO's demand a different attack approach than genres such as Skyrim).

However, I wanted to ask if any players still use a stealth approach in ESO effectively? How do you go about it? What are the tactics used to initiate such a game plan without it being party-crashed by other nearby players?
NA Mega-server
Basilthwaite - male Nord Templar Ebonheart Pact (unwittingly looks like Hulk Hogan. Trying to find some bright gold breeches to match the persona.)

Arwen Basilrond - female Wood Elf Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion (this character is smoken', but she's been advised to quite due to 'elf reasons!)

Sir Basil Ozarian - male Imperial Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant (this character is titled, but not entitled!)
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works a bit differently than say Skyrim, but there a few passives from medium armour that can reduce your detection area. At launch you gonna get areas packed with players so it's gonna be hard but doable
    Edited by mutharex on April 8, 2014 7:01PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do, but I'm off the beaten path a lot so there isn't much "kill stealing" (this isn't really a thing) going on. If I know there's people around that are going to zerg down whatever I forgo stealth, as there's no point. It's just one of those changes you'll have to make playing an MMO vs a single player elder scrolls game.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    I'd suggest using a bow as a weapon swap when it's available, for those specific occasions where you have heavy traffic and mob tagging is an issue.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    During beta, I used my khajiit NB's stealth skill effectively but ONLY in the world or in Cyrodiil outside of a rush.

In Public Dungeons, you kind of have to expect people who don't use stealth to rush on in and slap things ... and, of course, braindead AF DKs using Fiery Grip like WoW DKs using Death Grip.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, kill-stealing is virtually impossible in ESO.

Second, it is obvious by looking at the stealth mechanics that it's limitations are intentional. It is meant to be a tool, not an entire style of playing.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the MMO. We have hate and cookies.

I have a similar issue with my Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Try to stalk a victim, CC his buddy and burn him down... only to have a literal mob of other players come shrieking in like an evil wind and lay waste to everything I had so carefully set up.

/sigh

When I'm out exploring alone in an empty or sparsely populated area I can stalk and stick to my heart's content. But again, this isn't an RPG and zergs are just kinda something we have to deal with in an MMO.

Have a cookie.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    But again, this isn't an RPG and zergs are just kinda something we have to deal with in an MMO.
    And trains! Don't forget the trains.

Choo choo, kids!
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are certain places where I found Stealth very useful. In the Haven quest I used stealth to get to my targets without having to deal with large groups of MOBs. Also while traveling through the wilds, I've used stealth effectively to by pass creatures and enemy patrols I'd rather not deal with at the moment. But you're right, it's not like Skyrim where I could sneak right up to someone and 1 or 2 hit kill them before they reacted.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    I just adjust my tactics based on whether there are other folks around, or not. If I'm the only there, I open with a stealthed power strike, but if I'm not alone, I just try to get in as many hits of whatever type that I can.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the world, stealth can be very effective. I have taken out entire camps of Dagge... I mean bandits :D ... one sneak attack at a time. It's very fun, and there's a thrill in sneaking behind enemy lines to kill the boss and then sneaking out again, leaving them leaderless with no idea how. :)

But in dungeons, you've got two options.

1. Join the zerg. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as any pick-up group needs some DD. I've had a lot of fun just falling in with strangers and running straight to the boss together. You have to accept that you MIGHT get a teleport/bow sneak attack in before the others rush in, but you still have plenty of other abilities, so it's okay.

2. Wait for the zerg to pass. Groups tend to come in waves. If you wait for them to pass and continue taking it slow, mobs they mowed down will respawn, and you'll be able to take the dungeon at your own pace. Takes longer, and you may have to do this several times a dungeon, but quite satisfying for us lone-wolf types. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Kreager
    Kreager
    ✭✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »
    Welcome to the MMO. We have hate and cookies.

I have a similar issue with my Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Try to stalk a victim, CC his buddy and burn him down... only to have a literal mob of other players come shrieking in like an evil wind and lay waste to everything I had so carefully set up.

/sigh

When I'm out exploring alone in an empty or sparsely populated area I can stalk and stick to my heart's content. But again, this isn't an RPG and zergs are just kinda something we have to deal with in an MMO.

Have a cookie.

Just too funny :p

• Basil_oz
    Basil_oz
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input guys.

It would seem that stealth certainly has its place among the repertoire of attacking strategies with a lot of people. My main character is a Templar and I have found that the surprise range attack to be very effective in softening them up for the final melee charge.

I guess one of the characteristics brought into the gameplay in an MMO is that you have to play not only to the objective, but also to the current environment. As some of you have said, if in Zergville, do what the Zergs do!

I think that one of the things that struck me when I first began playing ESO was that we were in an environment which was familiar in regard to Skyrim, yet there were more than just NPCs around. Even though I am quite familiar with MMOs, it took a little bit to shift my mind in accepting a Skyrim looking environment (particularly Bleakrock) with an MMO gameplay.

You really feel it when doing things such as unlocking chests!

You sniff around some rocks and, low-and-behold, a chest reveals itself. Quickly you look around... no movement or activity. Beaudy! You reach in and... darn, it's a medium difficulty. You begin pushing on those tumblers trying to discern the slightest jiggling. Suddenly, at the side of your monitor you see that someone has stumbled across you and the chest... and now they are standing next to you... waiting.

You try and get to each one of those tumblers. Dang, the lockpick broke! Grab another and keep working the tumbler... the timer is nearly out and there are still two tumblers to go!

And you know that the person waiting will swoop on that chest as soon as you fail to open it!

It's the same feeling you have when you finally make it to a toilet cubicle at a busy venue and you want to take your time but you know that there are people standing just outside... just waiting for you to come out!

Ahh, performance pressure. This is what gaming has taken us to now!
    NA Mega-server
    Basilthwaite - male Nord Templar Ebonheart Pact (unwittingly looks like Hulk Hogan. Trying to find some bright gold breeches to match the persona.)

Arwen Basilrond - female Wood Elf Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion (this character is smoken', but she's been advised to quite due to 'elf reasons!)

Sir Basil Ozarian - male Imperial Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant (this character is titled, but not entitled!)
  • Sorcrater
    Sorcrater
    ✭✭
    I too played a sneak character in Skyrim and Oblivion. It seems to me that sneaking up to your target fast is the way to go. In Skyrim and Oblivion I would sometimes stop and look for and opening, but in ESO getting in there quickly and not stopping to wait for the NPC to target you is best for me.
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Revives old thread with soul gem)

I'm a stealthy sneaky player and I'm going to do ESO my way, dammit!

I just wait for the zerg to pass and the enemies to respawn. I'll even refight s boss alone after everyone leaves.

Got to level 34 so far keeping true to my playstyle. :) just a black cat in the night, racking up kills.

Another trick in large outdoor areas is to go off and kill enemies to the sides and fringes. The hordes tend to ignore them.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If using NB use Ambush

It's a gap closer that allows you to sneak then teleport to your victim, during the teleport you cloak and emerge from Shadows

I don't play stealth but I vet you could find a way to chain this attack to something that re cloaks you into shadow and allows you to continue the damage from with in it

Play with your build be don't be afraid to respec
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did one respec at 25... Ish. I just wasn't using three morphed skills and it was enough to reset. Be nice if there was someplace I could log into and print a list of where I put skill points. Got to an NPC in one quest and realized I forgot to put a point back into Intimidate.

There's passive for my Khajiit that let me sneak closer. The moment I see their awareness perk up I cloak and close the final meters. Boom.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Thunder_Downunder
    Thunder_Downunder
    ✭✭✭
    My kajit NB uses stealth all the time. I've been able to make it all the way through delves and dungeons without tripping mobs. Having a full set of Nights Silence also helps.