Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about a quest for experienced players

Artfuldodger
Artfuldodger
✭✭✭
Will of the council quest tried it abandoned it, due to the enemies being almost 10 levels above me, my thinking was cancel and come back when I am higher, except every time I gained a level so did the quest., I got lvl 29 the quest was suddenly lvl 29 and so on. Thinking it has to be done as its not going to be easy any time soon I played it at lvl 31. The enemies were still lvl 40 still annoyingly hard to beat but the main boss, a class in its self. I spent about 20 minutes running around that thing trying to kill it which I did eventually. Then I had to destroy a weapon at which point the game crashed, oh how I nearly cried, luckily it picked up from where I left off albeit I missed a lot of dialogue and scenes.

What I would like to know from players who have played it, is it a one off non avoidable (unless you just choose to never play it) quest where enemies are so much higher a level than yourself? Just seemed odd where by as I levelled so did the quest where as previously quest levels remained the same.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
-Johnny Depp
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will of the Council is the last (from memory) Fighters Guild mission. Guild missions as well as main story missions will level to your character's level once they are available, so in this case waiting till you are higher level will not help. That being said, in the mission you should not be confronting any enemies that are 10 levels higher than you, unless they are enemies you are not expected to kill by mission design (I don't think this is the case for Will of the Council). However, there is an expection to this:

Some missions (and dungeons) to in-fact have a 'minimum level' so the enemies will not level lower than their default level, even if your character is lower. As Will of the Council I believe is designed to be completed from around level 40 on wards that could be a possible reason why you're facing enemies of level 40, even when your character is lower. Personally I thought you were unable to get these missions until you were the appropriate minimum level, but perhaps this is not always the case.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Sozzy
    Sozzy
    It was the same for me, I got it at level 29 while the enemies were all level 43, the main thing I did was let Merric and Aelif take care of the enemies until the boss of course. I just sat back and let Merric kill the boss up close while I used my staff from distance until I got my Ultimate.
    Erg- VR2 Orc DK DC Azura's Star
    Davesh- Level 26 Altmer Sorc DC Blackwater Blade
    PS4 EU
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Sozzy wrote: »
    It was the same for me, I got it at level 29 while the enemies were all level 43, the main thing I did was let Merric and Aelif take care of the enemies until the boss of course. I just sat back and let Merric kill the boss up close while I used my staff from distance until I got my Ultimate.

That's right they are level 43 not 40 as I said. I made the choice where I only had merric fighting and he just kept falling over would have been easier doing it the way you did.

Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Will of the Council is the last (from memory) Fighters Guild mission. Guild missions as well as main story missions will level to your character's level once they are available, so in this case waiting till you are higher level will not help. That being said, in the mission you should not be confronting any enemies that are 10 levels higher than you, unless they are enemies you are not expected to kill by mission design (I don't think this is the case for Will of the Council). However, there is an expection to this:

Some missions (and dungeons) to in-fact have a 'minimum level' so the enemies will not level lower than their default level, even if your character is lower. As Will of the Council I believe is designed to be completed from around level 40 on wards that could be a possible reason why you're facing enemies of level 40, even when your character is lower. Personally I thought you were unable to get these missions until you were the appropriate minimum level, but perhaps this is not always the case.

I think the only reason I could see it was because the set level of that quest showed as being 29 when I was level 29, 28 or 29 I forget.But its a trick because the enemies are level 43 ha ha. Think I will wait until I am of the same level if it happens again.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Main Story & Guild Missions always appear as your current level in the journal because they scale up. But they also have a minimum level (for Will of the Counsel it is 43) and enemies will never be lower than that. But if by chance your character was level 47, the NPCs would also be 47.

I think the issue of these missions appearing lower level than they are in the journal is an oversight by ZOS from when they changed these missions to scale up to your level. They just coded for the missions to always appear at character level and forgot the part of after the minimum level of the mission.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sozzy wrote: »

That's right they are level 43 not 40 as I said. I made the choice where I only had merric fighting and he just kept falling over would have been easier doing it the way you did.

I think the only reason I could see it was because the set level of that quest showed as being 29 when I was level 29, 28 or 29 I forget.But its a trick because the enemies are level 43 ha ha. Think I will wait until I am of the same level if it happens again.

Yes, that would be smartest.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening again and seriously thinking of quitting the game as it happens all too often, yes im letting of steam here but im getting really fecked off.

Quest 3 levels higher than me, spent a good hour going through all the different parts of it, get to the final stage which you can only play alone and it suddenly changes to six levels higher. Tried numerous times to beat the it and failed, albeit I came close. From three levels to six levels higher, yes I like a challenge but thats ridiculous.

It is not like I am missing quests to slowly progress either, I got to where I am following story lines which is Eastmarch where the quests started out as same level or just above. Going to have to abandon it, which is a waste of an hours time.

My set up is fine, I beat most things but that was too much, had I have known when I started it I would not have bothered.
    I cant be the only person who comes across this type of thing, what did you do? Cancel and come back later?

I know its not nice reading other peoples moaning posts, but had I not have posted this moan here I think the game would have been microwaved and I would have been shouting " I beat you now didnt I"

-Johnny Depp
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is happening again and seriously thinking of quitting the game as it happens all too often, yes im letting of steam here but im getting really fecked off.

Quest 3 levels higher than me, spent a good hour going through all the different parts of it, get to the final stage which you can only play alone and it suddenly changes to six levels higher. Tried numerous times to beat the it and failed, albeit I came close. From three levels to six levels higher, yes I like a challenge but thats ridiculous.

It is not like I am missing quests to slowly progress either, I got to where I am following story lines which is Eastmarch where the quests started out as same level or just above. Going to have to abandon it, which is a waste of an hours time.

My set up is fine, I beat most things but that was too much, had I have known when I started it I would not have bothered.
    I cant be the only person who comes across this type of thing, what did you do? Cancel and come back later?

I know its not nice reading other peoples moaning posts, but had I not have posted this moan here I think the game would have been microwaved and I would have been shouting " I beat you now didnt I"

You want to leave the game because you picked a mission which is higher than your lvl?

Ok.

Please, don't go to Cyrodil. There you will find guys who can be even 13 lvls over your character trying to kill you as fast as possible.

Now, seriously, do you think it is ok to do missions over your level? I know you will receive a good xp after the mission, but at the same time you will lose some side quest that could help you to improve your performance.

This is not a race. Please, forget those games in which the faster, the better. This game is for having fun, and it takes some time to have fun. If you go against a boss, without a well developed strategy based on your skills (active and passives) equipment (make sure it is on top conditions) and playing style, you will die more often and will have no fun at all.

Go to dolmens, do some dungeons, kill some bosses (they are nice to test your playing style) all those stuffs will help you to improve your build as well as you abilities

;)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With Fighters and Mage's Guild missions, you can typically grab the quest as soon as you're high enough level to complete the previous quest and reach the quest giver.

However, this doesn't mean you can't be under-levelled for said quest. If you grab a Fighter's guild quest as soon as you enter a new zone, odds are that quest will out-level you a bit. If you've made it to the new zone under-levelled, then the guild quest will probably out-level you by a significant margin as all of the guild quests do have minimum levels, like instanced dungeons do.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭

Hello xvorg,

I have done all the maps and every quest leading to Eastmarch, all except the dungeons that is as im a billy no mates and not wanting to join a guild just now, there was no where else to go to get quests of my level. I should have mentioned it, I do not have a problem doing quests that are of a higher level I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of completing them, what I dont enjoy is being faced with characters that all of a sudden, become so high a level that you have next to no chance of beating them, especially having spent so much time going through the quest at a level marginally higher than your self to begin with.

This is my first MMO, I usually play fast pace games but going into it I knew it was a slow progressive game and that I really do enjoy, and largely to an extent I really do like this game even with the bugs and issues, it does not really bother me. But not being able to complete some thing does, especially when you are so close.I will take on board what you said and no I have know intention of visiting Cyrodil PVE is hard enough to learn without going to PVP.

With Fighters and Mage's Guild missions, you can typically grab the quest as soon as you're high enough level to complete the previous quest and reach the quest giver.

However, this doesn't mean you can't be under-levelled for said quest. If you grab a Fighter's guild quest as soon as you enter a new zone, odds are that quest will out-level you a bit. If you've made it to the new zone under-levelled, then the guild quest will probably out-level you by a significant margin as all of the guild quests do have minimum levels, like instanced dungeons do.

This one is in Eastmarch, cant recall title but you have to kill the Kings brother who is trying to over take the thrown. I gather by what you said I should really do everything else in eastmarch before doing the final quest. I think the clue that it is a final quest is when they say "Kill the..."

Must point out to new players this is my dilemma it will not necessarily be your experience, I do not want to put people off the game.
    Edited by Artfuldodger on July 20, 2015 8:59PM
    -Johnny Depp
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [q]Hello xvorg,

I have done all the maps and every quest leading to Eastmarch, all except the dungeons that is as im a billy no mates and not wanting to join a guild just now, there was no where else to go to get quests of my level. I should have mentioned it, I do not have a problem doing quests that are of a higher level I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of completing them, what I dont enjoy is being faced with characters that all of a sudden, become so high a level that you have next to no chance of beating them, especially having spent so much time going through the quest at a level marginally higher than your self to begin with.

This is my first MMO, I usually play fast pace games but going into it I knew it was a slow progressive progressive, and that I really do enjoy, and largely to an extent I really do like this game even with the bugs and issues, it does not really bother me. But not being able to complete some thing does especially when you are so close.I will take on board what you said and no I have know intention of visiting Cyrodil PVE is hard enough to learn without going to PVP.[/q]

Ok. What about the previous zones? Sometimes the xp not picked in the initial zones could negatively impact your performance.

Why I tell you this? Because my first dunmer missed some quest too. Once I got to the rift I wasn't able to beat a simple vampire lvl 45. I got so annoyed that I decided to create a new char ( a Breton... the only betrayal to the pact). Some months later I went back to my dunmer. Then I realized 2 things:

1- I had a lot of points I spent on crafting instead of improving my fighting skills
    2- the couple of quest I missed were worth a full lvl and several skill levels in my build.

I had to go back and redo those quest.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique