Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When does the Magelight glowy ball thing show up?

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
So in the video settings there is a tick-box for the Magelight effects. I have it set to "on," which means -- as far as I can tell -- that when I cast the Magelight spell I should see the little glowy ball rotating around me. Except I don't, at least not consistently. What I usually see is a light around the character's eyes and some swirly/smoky effect around his arms. But no glowy ball.

I do, however, see the glowy ball around a lot of other characters standing in the same zone.

So... what does that tick-box actually do, then? And why isn't the little glowy ball showing up for me when I see it actively rotating around other characters?

At the end of the day I don't really need the thing -- the problem here is that I can't figure out the rules for when it does and doesn't show up. If I can see the effect around other people but not on myself, I have to question if that tick-box is doing anything at all -- or if it does something entirely different than what I assume it does (maybe it suppresses the light around the eyes and the swirly/smoky effect around the arms? I dunno.)

The fact that I can't figure out the rules is distracting me beyond my ability to effectively explain how distracted it's making me. :-) Can someone fill me in?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't know. I've been having issues with it not always being visible when toggled on, even though I have it set to show up in my settings. Not knowing when it is and isn't on is irritating to me...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also have toggled light 'ON", but find it frequently disappears. There is a more reliable visual cue...your hands glow when it is on. I also rely on Srenderr add-on. Magelight will appear in it's list of buffs.
    Edited by Ourorboros on May 12, 2015 5:51PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I also have toggled light 'ON", but find it frequently disappears. There is a more reliable visual cue...your hands glow when it is on. I also rely on Srenderr add-on. Magelight will appear in it's list of buffs.
    Ah, good to know, I hadn't noticed that. Do they glow even if you have the setting set to not have the ball showing? I guess I can test that out when I get home from work, but if they do then I'll just turn it off so that I never see the ball, and go by the glowing hands.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FTC will highlight toggles in your skill bar as well when they are active.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, so what I'm getting from this is that there's currently no rhyme or reason to when (or if) the glowy ball will show up at all. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, and the glowy ball toggle is only loosely connected to that. Is that a fair summary?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Ah, good to know, I hadn't noticed that. Do they glow even if you have the setting set to not have the ball showing?

Yes, the Hands glow and you get the racoon effect on you character. You know the one where you wear sunglasses and get a tan on your face but not around your eyes? Anyway, I take a quick look at the face of my character as the hand glow is not always apparent. I think it shows up better on some armor styles than on others. But, my sorcerer, of all things, I have the hardest time seeing the hand glow, but my other two that run this it's easy to see.

However I have this setting to Off, and about 1/3 of the time, I still get the orbiting ball when I activate it. Toggling it off and back on again usually gets rid of the ball.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• guldrik
    guldrik
    ✭✭
    I recently just aquired it and have been relogging to get effect to show..
  • Dodas
    Dodas
    Yes the setting is bugged, another thing zenimax failing to fix or doesnt care about.
  • Sestar
    Sestar
    ✭✭
    The check bos does not configure whether there is a visible rotating ball or not.
    The check box is supposed to toggle the lighting effects caused by the magelight orb.

i.e. blue bland incessant humming thingie or blue glowing fps-dropping, still incessant humming thingie

Does not work either way. x.x
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't get is how it so very rarely appears when I use it, yet I see it on any other player or NPC that is using it. I know this is a drop in the sea of things needing attention...but it still is frustrating.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't get is how it so very rarely appears when I use it, yet I see it on any other player or NPC that is using it. I know this is a drop in the sea of things needing attention...but it still is frustrating.

I'm very frustrated by this as well, they obviously haven't fixed this yet. I'm constantly seeing other players with it active (most notably when it keeps flashing past my view while talking to the banker and that sort of thing), but so far I haven't been able to get it to show up on the one character I recently got it for, regardless of reloading and turning settings on and off and casting/uncasting it many times because I can't tell if I actually have it on or not. My husband plays on the same computer with mostly the same addons and video settings, and his main character is a mage who's always got his magelight going and it always seems to display for him, but... not for my character. I have no idea what's going on. It just hates me I guess. :P I guess I'm glad to know it's a known problem, not just that I'm jinxed, but I sure wish they would get it sorted out so it always shows when you have it on. :(
  • Aerathnor
    Aerathnor
    ✭✭
    You didn't happen pick the "inner light" morph did you? That gets rid of the ball forever.
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Aerathnor wrote: »
    You didn't happen pick the "inner light" morph did you? That gets rid of the ball forever.

Your answer right there.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp